Sabre Battle Reps

TimH

So our local gaming group (the Sabres) is now getting some regular games of Malifaux in and I thought I would post some of our games here. Several of our members are new to malifaux/wargames in general so any advice to be passed on about the crews they are using would be helpful. Now, onto last nights game...

Strategy--Reconnoiter

Schemes--A Line in the Sand, Assassinate, Protect Territory, Plant Evidence, and Power Ritual

My crew: Lilith with Beckon Malifaux and Living Blade, Primordial Magic, Bad Juju with Eternal Fiend, Ama  No Zako, 3 Waldgeists a Gupps and a 7 stone Cache.

Colette crew: Colette with Soulstone Manipulation, Lady's Secret and Choreography, Cassandra with her own upgrade, one Dove, Angelica, 1 Performer, 1 Mannequin, 2 Coryphee, Cache of 7

Selected Schemes:

Lilith--Assassinate and Plant Evidence (revealed)

Colette--Plant Evidence and Power Ritual

Standard Deployment--Lilith Deploys First

TURN 1: I end up going first and start by moving the first of the Waldgeists up the right flank, it hides inside a cornfield and drops its trees on a choke point between two pieces of blocking terrain in the enemy half of the board. Cassandra then comes running up the board and skirts round the terrain to take a shot at the Geist, she lands a hit and performs a push but this fails to take her back past the treeline. Lilith then walks up, activates her (0) and charges through the cornfields at Cass, she spends 2 stones (one per attack) to bypass her :-fate on Attacks and it is only by cheating high that Cass manages to survive. Lilith finishes up by forming a forest behind Cass blocking LoS to the rest of her crew and leaving her isolated. A dive quickly flies over and sacrifices itself to give Cass a :+fate on defense to ensure she lasts to the end of the turn.

The rest of the turn is largely uneventful. Waldgeists move up (another on the right flank and the other on the left) keeping in the terrain and dropping their trees. Ama no Zako and Juju move up the left flank with Ama using promises to make Juju walk a 3rd time. Vomit worm makes his way towards the middle of the board to try and Nullify models on later turns.

Colettes crew drops 2 scheme markers (1 in each corner) for schemes and a few other markers for potentially activating shenanigans later on. Colette makes a new dove and the showgirls cautiously advance. At turn end Colette, the performer and Angelica occupy the left flank while the Mannequin,both Coryphee and the Dove are just on the opposite side of the treeline to Lilith and Cass.

TURN 2: Cass activates first, uses southern charm and then bolts through the treeline to join up with the right most Coryphee and the Mannequin. Lilith activates and hops through the trees to go after the other Coryphee Her first hit gets weak damage at which point she needs a Severe to get the kill. Second attack sees Lilith and the Coryphee drawing so Lilith cheats in the Red Joker for a mask and to make her damage a neutral flip, she flips moderate and cheats a severe to prevent the duet having a chance to form, she then relocates her forest to screen herself from the other Coryphee.

The Mannequin and Coryphee begin a dash down the edge of the board to go for my corner while Juju and Zako flail at Angelica (who flails back in return). Geist on the left flank moves up to block off the performer but she still makes it into my half of the board so a Gupps moves into melee with her to make her engaged. The geists on the right both chase after the Coryphee and begin dropping trees to slow it down. I don't remember Colette doing much of note. Neverborn control 2 quarters and contest the others.

TURN 3: Cass goes first again and moves in to melee down a Waldgeist. She makes both her hits reducing it to 1 Wound and dropping a scheme marker next to the field. Lilith Teleports herself over to the Geist but instead of messing with Cass and her southern charm opts to kill the remaining Coryphee before it can get to the corner. She tries to move the forest again but fails (as do all 3 geists this turn). Colette moves in to try and save Angelica from Ama no Zako, she stones her Wp save against terrifying but still fails (at which point I realise how bad my opponents hand is this turn). Ama no Zako finishes off Angelica, the performer walks away from the Gupps and places another marker for Plant Evidence. The gupps and Geist collapse in on the performer and kill her. Vomit worm charges and kills the dove to the amusement of everyone. Juju succeeds at making Ama no Zako have to cheat against landslide and fails at everything else. Neverborn control 3 quarters.

TURN 4: Cass goes first (again) and lays the hurt on the higher health Geist, she reduces it to under half wounds and triggers understudy to use full of pins to finish off the 1 hp geist she attacked last round. Ama no Zako hits once against Colette and despite the negative on damage manages to land a severe. Colette respons with a variety of triggers and attacks that tear through her deck and drop Ama no Zako from full hp to dead. Juju moves up and fails to hit her. After the Mannequin manages to hit Lilith once (spurting black blood on itself and Cass) I notice that my opponent has only about 4 or five cards left in his deck and is yet to red joker, Primordial magic then attempts to nullify the Mannequin and succeeds at pulling the joker off the top of the deck. This sets Lilith up to finish off Cass, the Mannequin and the scheme marker.

The Waldgeist on the left removes a scheme marker and the Gupps makes his way towards the enemy corner to clean up markers there and drop markers of his own. Neverborn control 3 quarters.

TURN 5: I go first and Juju flurries Colette killing her on the first hit. With no models left to oppose me and plenty of activations left to clean up the relevant scheme markers we end the game there.

FINAL SCORE: Neverborn 10  Arcanists 0

A few notes.

-This was my opponents first outing with Colette so we both expected it to go poorly. He chose to play her now due to the scheme marker heavy pool and while it went poorly he has a much better understanding of the models now.

-Previously almost all my opponents games were with Ironsides so he was used to being aggressive with models.

-Ama no Zako has a lot of cool tricks but had no real opportunity to use them, when she did try she failed to get the suits.

-With one card left in deck neither me nor my opponent could recall me having Red Jokered on turn 3, (I had on a forest summon) my opponent suggested I check my discard but I am quite certain that is against the rules, we never got round to checking who was correct.

-Having never played Colette since 1st ed I don't feel qualified to advise on how to play the crew. Any pointers for next time?