Cosplay Article from Chronicles 16 - Additional Advice

ringsnake

The writer of the article suggests Worbla, which is an amazing material, especially if you need to do complex forms that bend in more than one direction. It is considered the only way to do the job for many cosplayers.

However, for what he did, the spade on the boots, there's an alternative that works just as well, and has some features that make it superior: PVC Foam.

I'm working on a Gaige the Mecromancer costume for my daughter to wear to GenCON this year, and when I hit up a friend who's a member of the 501st for advice he recommended PVC foam instead. For the application I have in mind (Gaiges robot arm and various props) the PVC foam is the superior option.

PROs

- CHEAP! In fact, when I went to a local industrial plastics supplier they just gave me four sheets of scrap for free. 

- Durable. It's a hard plastic with little to no flex to it once it's set in place. You form it the same way as Worbla. Heat gun.

- Comes in a variety of colors, normally white and black. if you get black and the paint chips off it looks like intentional wear!

- Stays where it's put. When the going gets hot the Warbla gets soggy. My 501st friend told me a few terrible tales of Worbla melting in the sun.

- Comes in a variety of thicknesses, and is hard, so can be sawed and sanded to make larger props.

- Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot easier to work with. You can make mistakes, and then heat it and adjust and go back to unformed shape. I think I reformed the glove and arm pieces at least three times.

CONs

- It will only bend in one direction, unlike Worbla, you cannot do compound bends because PVC foam cannot be stretched. This can work as a positive, because there's no way you can inadvertently tear it or dig holes into it.

- Poisonous - It stinks like you would not believe when heated with a heat gun. I was able to take care of the toxic air problem to a large degree by doing all the small parts in a pot of boiling water. And no that pot will never be used for cooking.

So if you're just dipping your toes into the cosplay waters there's a cheap alternative you can try instead of the Worbla!