FM Chaining via Focus and Genus Immuto: How?

zeeblee

I've alluded to this problem before, but when crafting a grimoire for your players (or for NPCs whom the players can kill or steal from) how do you force the use of the Focus immuto?  Effectively, if you want spells from said grimoire to require a focus (especially a specific one) is there a technical way to prevent players from just not applying Focus immuto to a magia when they create a spell?

Similarly, what is the use of chaining a Genus immuto?  Well... I know one use is to chain it to only one target type so that AOE spells won't affect other targets (ie: chaining undead on an Elemental Projectile blast so that living targets in the area will be unaffected).  But what if the point of the Genus being present is to specialize the grimoire, and thus the intent is for every spell to be chained?

Now, the current solution I'm playing with is just house-ruling and letting players know that said grimoires come with particular limitations.  But I'm curious if anyone has come up with other ideas.  Or how many people go with the, "No need to mess with it." solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Make it a spell effect bound to the item (Focus) itself.  It would behave like a Manifest Power only usable when equipped with the Focus.

I don't know what combination Magia/Immuto you're using, but a player might even craft such an item themselves by using a Soulstone to make a permanent spell effect applied to the Focus.  I'd probably have them make an extended challenge of Artefacting + Spell Skill + Harnes Soulstone to do so.

Chaining a Genus is a quick way to shave some TN off of your spell.  It deliberately weakens the spell to make it easier to cast.