Demoplaying Through the Breach

HtUnliving

From what I've gathered, Through the Breach is really campaignbased, what with the "all players have 5 pieces of their Fates, which all will be explored"-thing. 
That's all awesome, I will not deny that, but it presents a problem with demos. We in Finland gonna have our annual 'Con soon and I've been pondering (if I get the books somewhere), if I should take some Fate decks and go promo this awesome game. 

But, how should one build characters and what should I consider when doing a 1-session Through the Breach-scenario? 
(Did this with Wild Talents 2 years back and the onetime adventure sprang out a campaign, so the base setting will probably not be lost. :) )

The way i see it, the fate of a character is something that usually plays out over a  longer period of play.

For a demo you could flip the cards to get the text and show the group through play perhaps how a first step of resolving a players fate would work out? I'd guess that going through all steps, especially for multiple characters, is far to much to handle in a single sitting, let alone a demo.

And maybe build the demosession (which in this case would be atleast 4 hours) so that there are options for players to choose whose Fate will be opened? Like 4 people who wake in a dark room. They have no idea how they got there and must make themselves out. I'll make the characters beforehand obviously and because the theme for the 'Con is power and who truly controls it, these themes w. a visit from Zoraida or similar NPCs could work.

Gods, I like the Fate-theme in Malifaux. 

For a demo of this system, I'd try to do it somewhat streamlined.

Start with a two to three paragraph story, telling the characters why they are in some backwater village outside of the metrolpolis of Malifaux.

Ask them what type of character they would like to play: Caster, Melee Fighter, Ranged Fighter, Tinkerer/Academic.

Have sheets printed up with a set of gear choices for each class (keep it lean and easy, but give them choice)

Have the same sheet include "Good skills for [Pursuit Type]"; Again, keep it somewhat simple, based upon archetype and not exactly pursuit.

Go through character creation, asking the players to flesh themselves out briefly and why their character might be in some mining town saloon.

Once everyone has a character, start with a socially focused encounter. Give some skill challenges, and something short but ongoing.

Move out into a "Search the town for a specific thing" narrative time thing to give them some elbow room.

Conclude with a combat at the Quarry with 2 Enforcers and 3-4 Minions.

Explain how end-of session works, and then talk about how the fates get tied into the system.

Do something like that, you could probably demo a pretty fulfilling game in ~1-2 and turn 3-4 sessions over in a day per Fatemaster.

The key is to keep them focused on archetype. Limited, meaningful choices.

• Like 1

I actually would recommend doing pre-made characters, and, if you have time, go over the character creation system. I love this character generation system, but for a lot of people, the gameplay is going to be the best way to go about it. Try to tap into some of the more unique features of Through the Breach in terms of classes. Have cards written up with actions relevant to the character (spell casters, do example combinations of the stuff, also Focus and Defensive Stance, etc). If you're doing demos at a convention, you might want to consider the length of time you're aiming for. I'd hunt around for 'convention demo' stories from other systems, to give yourself a feel for ways to do it. Also, check out Gnome Stew, I know they did a couple articles on stuff like that.