Flight of Dragons Viktoria of Blood confliction?

WayneWTP

Question

Hi.

I played my very first game of Malifaux last night having someone teach me the game and not read the rulebook so please forgive me if I have some of the terminology wrong. Although I loved the game and am already looking forward to my next one there was a pretty large rules discrepancy that got me and my introducer on complete opposite sides of the fence. Here's the setup:

Viktoria of Blood uses her Flight of Dragons tactical action. She succeeds in her flip to pull the action off. The card starts by reading; "Target an enemy model". So I targeted Som'er. Then the card states "All friendly Sister models within 2" and LoS of the target may immediately take a (1) Ml Action against it which receives a positive flip to the damage flip". So Viktoria of Blood and Viktoria of Ashes (who are both sisters and are both within 2" and line of sight of each other and Som'er both attempt to make a melee attack against Som'er.

Viktoria of Blood attacks first, hitting Som'er and damaging him. His defence trigger is pulled off allowing him to push 4" away so he buggers off, out of range of both Viktoria's. So Viktoria of Ashes cannot melee attack Som'er. Fair enough. However, this is where the rules interpretations between the two of us differ, as the last sentence on the action continues...

"Then, push all Sister models within 2" and LoS of the target up to 6" in any direction." Now who is the 2" referring to? This is Viktoria of Blood's action so is it within 2" of her? Or is it within 2" of the target? I read it as within 2" of Viktoria of Blood and LoS of Som'er. My friend read it as both 2" and LoS of Som'er. If it is the latter I would seem surprised as if you are within 2" then the majority of the time you are automatically going to be within LoS. Also I get the feeling that the whole setup of the sisters is by being close to her so I again I would read the rule to be within 2" of Viktoria of Blood. However, due to Som'er sodding off 4" after she hit him she then cannot use the last part of this action, nor can any other sisters within 2" of her and within LoS of Som'er. Consequently both Viktorias ended up being sat out in the open looking gormless.

Your feedback would be appreciated please.

7 answers to this question

The only way to stop Somer squeeling off is to place something (terrain or other models) directly behind him as he must move directly away from the model which attacked. So if you look at the situation and decide which sister should attack first then his trigger could work for you. Again, it is dependent on the game set up and other models - he may bounce out of range of your sisters but into LOS of a ronin ready to gut him like a pig!

D.