Encounter Strategy Fluff

A Line in the Sand

The Guild Intelligence unit currently operating in the eastern slums of Malifaux had uncovered evidence that a graveyard in the Hightower district had been the site of unauthorized exhumations over the last few days. Resurrectionists were of course suspected. The report detailing the grave robberies now sat on Lucius Matheson’s desk...

Lady Justice, head of the Death Marshals and part of the Guild’s Elite Division, was summoned to the Secretary’s Office.

“I have a special mission for you Justice,” The Governor’s Secretary spoke from behind his mask.

“I want you to take a small task force of Death Marshals and plant charges in the new burials at the Hightower gravesite.

"What new burials would those be Secretary?"

"I have arranged for five bodies to be buried this evening.” Replied Matheson.

Justice understood the plan. Plant the charges of dynamite in the new graves and when the Resurrectionist scum went to exhume them they would meet with quite a surprise. She had to hand it to Matheson – it was a good plan.

Justice, accompanied by Judge and three of her best Death Marshals stealthily carried their charges of dynamite into the graveyard. Their map, provided by the Secretary’s intelligence unit, identified the five fresh sites. Justice briefly wondered if there really were bodies in those graves? Probably, knowing the Secretary she thought, "Two birds with one stone".

They were less than ten meters from the graves when Justice sensed something ahead that made her drop into a crouch behind a headstone. They were not alone. The Resurrectionists were already here. "They have better intelligence than we do." Justice thought to herself just before turning to Judge,

“Arm those charges, that is the mission. I will buy us some time” and with that she sprang forward, sword drawn and charged the first punk zombie.

And then?

And then you put Justice and her crew on the Table and a Resurrectionist Crew on the other side and play a Shared Line in the Sand! :)

I've been working on some short fiction that gives a little flavor to the current Encounter Strategies. I find it is more fun to think about these strategies in the context of the current fiction. I might develop some of them into short stories down the road... Cheers!