Sculptors Challenge! Cloudfang - Owlbear

CloudFang

Here goes nothin! My first attempt at sculpting... Since it has to be flying monster im going for owlbear! Hopefully when i finally get my nicodem crew in it will be owl focused instead of vulture focused... i have a pair of barred owls that frequent my back yard and it really is a lovely critter...

so im hoping this will be a stand in for a flesh construct but as i get things going i think it may have to be put on a 50mm base so.. it may be a rogue necromancy..

in the end i hope to make it undead and sort of stitched-constructed together!? im also working on a 30mm witchling stalker for my buddy... he turned his 3 into harry potter themed guys... ones griffindor ones raven(whatever) and the other is hufflepuffle? but he's missing slitherin - so obviously a half snake half withchling stalker will be awesome...

IMG_0536_zpsae9b73bc.jpg

IMG_0537_zps274a4561.jpg

and with the wire bits for armatuers.... snake coil... and lower legs and upper arms for now..

IMG_0535_zps80661cb4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

made a little err tiny bit of progress with my owlbear and snake man stalker... but i actually started trying to sculpt a bunch of other stuff...

1. to get my chops up...

2. to make some markers and terrain i could cast...

heres some shots:

owlbear/stalker update:

IMG_1264_zps881c62ab.jpg

book counter, sign post, stake claim marker, bag o' soulstones:

IMG_0637_zps8452d6db.jpg

evidence counters (clue style!?), gravestones, body parts, corpse, dynamite

IMG_0640_zps4c1bc7f4.jpg

beginnings of a wagon to mold and cast:

IMG_0641_zps31b46ce7.jpg

some sculpy armatures for sculpting walls, barrels, crates, coffins, casket, etc.

IMG_0642_zps41fbcd8a.jpg

this stuff is fun! but i gotta hand it to all the folks out there doing some crazy amazing stuff! its not easy... working this small!? i never had trouble making clay sculptures, wax, stone, etc... but the scale is crazy? i keep wanting to go bigger than i should..

one thing that ive learned and has been helping is to create small shapes, blobs, or hotdogs and them press them onto your form and build up from there.. also seems like bits at a time is far better than trying to sculpt the whole thing at once cuz your fingers just squash everything...

oh.. and slight mod to dead rider....

IMG_1263_zps720ddda2.jpg

feedback and criticism welcome! thanks-