Steampunk Arachnids and Escape and Survive

Definitechoice

Question

Since Steampunk Arachnids, Swarm Together and Scatter have come up a few times in recent days, I figured now would be a good time to broach this subject. I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I can't figure out how this works.

A Steampunk Arachnid Swarm is hired for Escape and Survive, counting as one model for the victory conditions. It takes the Scatter action, is sacrificed, and three Steampunk Arachnids are summoned into play. Since the Swarm was sacrificed, the individual spiders(A,B, and C) now count as three models for the victory conditions of E&S. Next turn, the spiders Swarm Together, are sacrificed, and a Swarm Replaces the individual spiders. This Swarm should count as one model for E&S.

Ramos summons two spiders, D and E. These spiders do not count for the victory conditions since no model was killed nor sacrificed when summoning them.

Does the Swarm/individual arachnids still count for Escape and Survive in the following situations?

1.Spider A takes Swarm Together and forms a Swarm with spiders A, B, and D.

2.Spider D uses Swarm Together with spiders A, and B.

3.Spider A uses Swarm Together, but with spiders A, D, and E?

4.Any of the above subsequently scatter.

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Posting the clause in E&S that he is talking about.

"Summoned models do not count toward the Victory condition unless another friendly model was killed or sacrificed when Summoning this model"

1. A was one of the models summoned by the noble sacrifice. It counts, so the resulting swarm still counts.

2. When I first thought about it, I would have said no, because D was one of the new spiders and since it is the one doing the Swarm summon, the big guy would not count. Then I reread the clause because it just says it the new model counts if an original model that counted was killed in the summoning spell. It has no clause about the summoner needing to be a victory model of E&S (makes sense with models like Kirai who sacrifices a model to summon without killing herself in the process)

3. Swarm looks back at who was sacrificed to create him. See spider A and says, "Ah, so I do count as E&S". Ignores D and E

So in the case of Swarming, being an E&S model no matter if it was the one that initiated the summon or was just one of the sacrificed models, will pass on that attribute.

Thanks, now I can see Ramos giving mini-baptisms to new spiders as they swarm. "Blessed be you, for you are now with the Strategy"

As he said, in every case, when a swarm combines or scatters, the resulting spiders/swarms count for E&S. Because the E&S condition doesn't track if the sacrificed model counted for E&S.

Ramos summons 3 spiders. They don't count.

They swarm together, the swarm counts.

It scatters, all three count.