Iron Quill In the Dark of the Knight:Guildhouse Strikes Back

Mister Monkey

The last of the day’s sun streamed through the window and illuminated the papers that lay on the table. The first was the Malifaux Times, the headline ‘Soulstone Necklace Stolen’ emblazoned across the front in gaudy print. The second piece of paper was an order signed by the Governor’s Secretary Lucius himself, calling the members of the Guildhouse to an operation the next day, it wasn’t stated but it was obvious the two bits of paper were linked.

Private Santana poured whiskey into the three glasses before him, then slid a glass to either end of the table before picking up the third one himself. Holding it up before him he made a toast.

“To Grey’s first operation tomorrow.” He said motioning to the young guardswoman with strawberry blonde curls sitting at one end of the table. She acknowledged his toast and sipped from her glass, at the other end of the table Private Stevens gulped down a mouthful of the amber liquid, and then coughed as the alcohol burned his throat.

Darkness overtook the light as night came, and the conversation turned to the man that would be leading them tomorrow.

“What is with the mask?” Santana asked “What is the man actually a Neverborn and he is trying to hide it?” He said with the kind of half laugh that suggests that maybe it is the truth as he winked at Grey.

“You know what I heard.” Stevens chimed in loudly, the alcohol making him bolder than usual.

“It is a story of betrayal. Back Earthside Lucius came from a well to do family and was actually one of a set of twins, but then one dark and stormy night a man clothed all in black made his way into the infant twins bedchamber and took up one of the babies. While he was reaching for the second the night nurse entered causing the man to flee with only half his prize.

For years the family searched for the missing child but in vain for he could not be found.

Many years later a young Lucius now head of the family was riding along when he was ambushed, it was not until he was subdued that one of the ambushers revealed he had the exact same face, and was in fact his twin but his mind twisted by the ones that had abducted him.”

One of the candles gutted itself out at this point turning the room darker as if to add to the drama.

“Better get a new one of those.” Grey said rising from her chair. “But do carry on.”

Stevens took another sip of his drink as if steeling himself against the evil of the story then continued.

“His evil Brother proceeded to take his place to use the family fortune for his own nefarious schemes. In the meantime he had Lucius locked up, but so nobody could tell who he actually was he had this brothers head encased in a steel mask. A few years passed and finally fashioning a shiv out of a chicken bone Lucius made good his escape, finally confronting his brother in an epic duel Lucius was victorious and reclaimed his place at the head of the family. But the fortune was gone and the family name in tatters, so he made his way here, to Malifaux to remake the fortune and untarnish the family name.

At least that’s what Ol’ Bob down at armoury requisitions told me anyhow.” Stevens said taking another drink to punctuate his point. A stunned silence seemed to fill the room.

“But…. Isn’t that the plot to the Count of Le Montseguer?” Grey asked quizzically.

“Ha! I knew I recognised it!” Santana said slapping his hand against the table in triumph. “Sorry mate pretty sure Ol’ Bob is pulling your leg on that one.”

Stevens looked downcast into his glass “Just saying that’s what I had heard.” His usual meekness returning.

“Have you actually read the book?” Grey asked surprised that Santana knew it. ”It was well written.”

“Well…..” Santana replied, “I read the ‘penny nasty’ version. Probably more heaving bosoms and throbbing manhoods than the version you read.” He flashed her his cheeky smile and flicked off a wink. Grey shook her head and tried to hide her smile.

“What’s your take on the Guilds ‘Masked Man of Mystery’ then” Santana asked staring at Grey “Why the mask?”

“Well the way I see it, the mask is a symbol. A symbol that Lucius could be any man, with some hard work anybody can work their way up in the Guild and become a leader of men.”

There was a snort at the door, the immense bulk that was the guildhouse captain filled the frame.

“That is the biggest load of poppycock I have heard in a long time…. a symbol? What a load of crud!”

Lazarus waddled over to the table and poured himself a glass.

“Let me tell you the story of the mask.” He said in a tone that was not to be argued with.

“A fresh faced young man just off the Breachtrain, was strolling down the street taking in the sights and sounds that are this fine city of ours. When all of a sudden there is a shout as an out of control carriage comes barrelling down the street. A deaf flower girl, all of about eight was crossing at the time eyes fixed on a customer unaware of the danger that was rapidly approaching.

This young man leapt into action, rushing across the road and pushing the girl out of the way, but not quite getting clear himself his face smashed against the wheel hub. Turns out the carriage belonged to the Governor himself and impressed by the man’s bravery got the best doctors the guild have to help him recover, then he gave him a job at his right hand and the mask came with it to help hide the disfiguration caused in the accident. Least that’s the story that is told in whispers at the Elite Division training house.”

“Story seems a bit farfetched don’t you think.” Santana said. “Just happened to be Lucius, the girl just happened to be deaf, just happened to be the Governors carriage. Sounds like far too many coincidences to me”

“Well that’s the story I believe” Lazarus replied curtly glowering at him. “But one thing is for sure, if there is trouble tomorrow I know I would rather Lucius was on my side then theirs.”

“Amen to that!” Santana raised his glass in agreement.

“Don’t you worry Grey, under Lucius tomorrow you will do fine.” Lazarus said to the young guardswoman with his best reassuring smile, which unfortunately gave the impression of a Bulldog about to strike.

“I’m going to ask him tomorrow!” Stevens announced, his mind finally taken over by the intoxicating drink “Hey Lucius Sir…. Why the effing mask?” He then gave a girlish giggle.

And with that it was decided unanimously that they should all get some rest.

The cry of a raptor pierced the dawn as the assembled Guardsmen stood to attention awaiting instructions. Amongst the ranks Private Stevens stood looking decidedly green from the night before.

“Wish somebody would shut up that ruddy bird.” He whispered cringing at the screech “How many did you give me last night?” he addressed the Guard beside him.

Private Santana pulled his cheeky grin “Three I believe”

“Three!” It was a whispered shout “Oh gods, no wonder I feel so bad.” Santana chuckled at the young man.

Silence descended on the courtyard as Lucius entered and started issuing how the day would unfold, his deep voice a booming echo from behind the mask.

Stevens felt a slight nudge at his side.

“Psst, still going to ask why the effing mask?” Santana whispered a sly smile playing across his face.

Stevens looked at the faceless man that was addressing them, the Governors Secretary and turned a deeper shade of green.

“Heh, thought not.”