Falling Rule Question

AngryBogle

Question

If a model that is HT 2 and has Mv 4, chooses to use the (2) Jump action from a piece of terrain that is HT 2 and is at the edge of it, but there is a fence or small wall (Terraclips thick) around the edges of the terrain that are HT 1. How many inches does the model fall, and would it make a damage flip, please explain in detail why. Also, if the model is pushed in a manner similar to the scenario above. What happens to it? Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

The reason why you are spending two action points to use the (2) Jump ability is to avoid the damage flip that is incurred when falling at least 3 inches.

Page 35 of Book 1.5

The model can either move 1/2 of its walk distance horizontally and can move over gaps, OR the model can move up to 1/2 of its walk distance from a higher elevation to a lower one, or vice versa, without suffering damage.

So since your model has a walk of 4 inches you can jump accross something, jump down, or jump up to a higher elevation for a distance of 2 inches.

If the distance you are jumping down to is less than 3 inches there is no reason to use the (2) jump ability to move down to a lower elevation.

You should just fall the less than 3 inch distance (taking no damage) and then continue your walk action and move the remaining distance you have left.

So applying this to your question, the model would fall from the higher elevation onto the fence/wall, and then from there you would fall onto the ground. If each time you fell was less than 3 inches you would not suffer any damage. If each fall was 1 inch for example, you would end up on the table with 2 inches of movement left.

If a model that is HT 2 and has Mv 4, chooses to use the (2) Jump action from a piece of terrain that is HT 2 and is at the edge of it, but there is a fence or small wall (Terraclips thick) around the edges of the terrain that are HT 1. How many inches does the model fall, and would it make a damage flip, please explain in detail why. Also, if the model is pushed in a manner similar to the scenario above. What happens to it? Thanks in advance.

I think the others missed the point of your question. If the Fence or Small Wall is around the roof or balcony then it would potentially add to the height dropped.

I think you would need to discuss this at the start of the game.

If the fence or wall was on the floor then we would play that it would cost 1" of movement, but this would allow for 1" of climb up and 1" climb/drop down the other side.

In your situation, this fence could potentially increase the height dropped to 3" (or maybe a touch more). I'd probably discuss it with an opponent and suggest that if the model took the 1" movement penalty for climbing over the railing it would not add this to the height dropped.

You could also decide whether you would allow a model to move off the higher surface without the penalty for moving past the railing, perhaps adding this to the height dropped.

The rules don't fully address this situation, so like many terrain issues, you just need to discuss it first.

If the Fence or Small Wall is around the roof or balcony then it would potentially add to the height dropped. I think you would need to discuss this at the start of the game.

I agree, terrain should always be discussed at the begining of the game. If a situation arises in the middle of the game concerning terrain and the players cannot come to an agreement as how to handle the terrain, then you flip a card for the ruling.

I'd probably discuss it with an opponent and suggest that if the model took the 1" movement penalty for climbing over the railing it would not add this to the height dropped. You could also decide whether you would allow a model to move off the higher surface without the penalty for moving past the railing, perhaps adding this to the height dropped.

I agree that it should be one or the other especially concerning such a small piece of terrain like a Ht 1 fence/railing. If you climb up and over the fence by 1/2 your movement, then the fence should not be added to the distance dropped.

On the other hand if you do not climb the fence/railing with the climbing penalty then the total height from the ground to the top of the fence/railing should count for the fall.

The rules don't fully address this situation, so like many terrain issues, you just need to discuss it first.

I agree

Based on what you said, by climbing over a fence or balcony with a HT 2 model, it would fall 3" and take a damage flip for falling that much correct. Given my scenario above, wouldn't it be pointless to use the (2) Jump action for a model with Mv 4 because he would need to use 2" to get over the balcony and still fall 3" or am I not following your example correctly? Sorry this has been brought up in a few games and I haven't figured out how to remedy a solution.

If you spend (1) AP climbing over the balcony, you would then measure from the base of the balcony to the ground or lower elevation (roof for example) and if that measurement was less than 3 inches you could choose to fall down and not take any damage.

You would be letting go of the balcony and dropping down to the ground or lower elevation.

If the measurement was 3 inches or more then you would suffer a damage flip.

The (2) Jump action gets the most benefit from jumping accross a gap from one building to another or one piece of terrain to another. The problem with a model that has a 4 inch walk is you only get 2 inches of movement when jumping. So jumping down is pointless, jumping up could be useful if the terrain is unclimbable and that leaves jumping accross something has the most relevant. But even in that instance the gap being jumped has to be 2 inches or less.

Between this post and all the post above this has been overly explained. Maybe you should keep your models on the ground to avoid any further confusion /tease :)

That's how I figured it from the posts but I wanted to make sure. I know it's been explained a lot in this thread but if it was put in the rulebook to begin with (or be more clear on the matter), we wouldn't have to interpret how this works. I don't want to limit my gameplay experience because the rules ain't fully detailed so I'll continue to ask questions and get answers or popular opinions. :)