Skirmish Showdown XII - Brief Report

Aramoro

I just thought I would write up a little report of my first Malifaux tournament. I basically have 2 crews, Colette and Hamlin. Hamlin seems to be a lot more forgiving of mistakes so I went for him, sacrificing only part of my soul to do so.

Game 1 - Andrew - Neverborn (Lilith)

His Crew

Lilith

Mature Nephilim

Collodi with 4 Marionettes

2x Wicked Doll

My Crew

Hamlin

Nix

Obedient Wretch

2x Rat Catchers

5x Malifaux Rats

This game was shared plant the evidence so I picked some simple schemes in Bodyguard and hidden Holdout. Collodi activated first and blazed though about a million actions which resulted all 4 evidence tokens being planted in my half of the table. 1 activation done and 4 vp's down, ouch. We jockeyed for position for a few turns with me moving up around the building that Lilith had staked a claim in. After a couple of ratpocalyses I score my 4 Evidences. As it turns out we're both essentially impotent against each other and neither of us can stop the other scoring their schemes. I try turning Lilith insignificant a few times but Andrew has saved enough stones to stop me doing it. He scores his stake a claim and bodyguard, I score my bodyguard and holdout.

Draw 7-7

Game 2 - Alan - Guild (Perdita)

His Crew

Perdita Ortega

Francisco Ortega

Nino Ortega

Santiago Ortega

Papa Loco

Latigo Pistolero

My Crew

Hamlin

Nix

Obedient Wretch

2x Rat Catchers

5x Malifaux Rats

This was our supply wagon game. Perdita is ne of the few masters i've played against before so i was pretty nervous about getting headshotted repeatedly. The first turn was pretty much moving for position, circling each other as I bravely hid behind a big building. Santiago and Francisco pushed up in the second turn and Nix Obediently charged Santiago. Papa Loco pushed up into contact with my supply wagon, with the benefit of a good control hand Hamlin use his pipes to make Papa move into contact with him then beat him to death with his Black Staff. I won a critical initiative and Nix finished off Santiago before getting ventilated by an angry Perdita. Francisco got eaten by a swarm of rats. My rats then spread out between his supply wagon and the centre of the table to stop his wagon from moving in, We counted up schemes and strategies for a 6-4 victory. Alas this being my first tourny I didn't know I wasn't allowed to take the same schemes twice, so I lost 3 vps for my Bodyguard and Holdout. whoops.

Loss 3-4

Game 3 - Irving - Neverborn (Lilith)

His Crew

Lilith

Primordial Magic

Mr Graves

Tuco

Mature Nephilim

Young Nephilim

My Crew

Hamlin

Nix

Obedient Wretch

2x Rat Catchers

5x Malifaux Rats

Shared Slaughter, I was dreading this one but I had a plan. My opponent announced Assassinate and Kill Protege so I had to just not lose more than 2 vp's to Slaughter. I went for Announced Stake a claim and Hidden Breakthrough. I was working on fine margins. I started cagey to try and pull him to my side of the table with the Mature Nephilim flying straight for me. I used Writhing Mass, Black Blood to cause a massive chain of Rat activations adding Blight Tokens to it, I fed 5 rats into the machine then Bleeding Disease to kill it. Lilith disappointed by the performance of that one burnt her actions and 4 stones and grew another Mature Nephilim which pushed forwards. The ratpocalyse later I fed another 3 rats into the Nephilim grinder, then failed a couple of terrifying checks to pull my rats back into the bosom of my Rat Catchers. Bleeding Disease finished it off. Mr. Graves, Tucco and Lilith finished off a few more rats as I did a rat catapult to push them onto the objective terrain and into his deployment. This game kinda highlighted the need to have multiple masters as it was hard playing Hamlin in this mission.

Win 3-2

So a midfield finish for my first go out which I'll take. I should have read the tourney pack before going and I wouldn't have messed up that second game. I've never played against Neverborn before so that was a learning experience. Good to meet a bunch more Malifaux players and it was generally a fun day out.

Edited by Aramoro
adding in crews used

Evening Sir - enjoyed yr report and thanks for the game. It was really 'interesting' to play against Hamlin for the first time ...

Still feel awfully bad about the schemes issue. It was certainly your game for the taking! Anyway, hope to see you at another Scottish Malifaux event again soon.

Cheers, Alan