New mini's gamer asking noob questions

sinistralsimia

Since I have been a life long gamer I took to table top gaming very well. But the crafty aspect of the hobby is much more difficult to get a handle on.( I didn't even take art in high school.) It turns out that I do enjoy spending hours(and it is hours at this point) assembeling and painting models.

I have painted about four crews at this point. I am getting better at painting and assembeling but nothing close to the stuff that I see on the internet. Anyway here are my questions I assume that skill will come with more practice.

Is there a relatively easy way to take the paint of the model without damaging the detail

Can you undo super glue.( I glued most of these mini's to plain bases but now I have ordered some resin bases and want to get them off without damaging them too much.)

I have seen in video's where people spray something on super glue and it bonds immediatly(anybody know what that is it would make assembeling things like arachnids a hell of a lot simpler)

What do you in the know use to finish a model. I have heard about minwax. Haven't tried it but would consider something like this.

Thats all for now. I am sure I will have more questions in the future. Thanks for any advice of help you guys have.

Is there a relatively easy way to take the paint of the model without damaging the detail

I've heard that soaking the figures in Simple Green for a while works well, brush with an old toothbrush and rinse. Time soaking will depend on what you painted them with and how many layers etc

Can you undo super glue.( I glued most of these mini's to plain bases but now I have ordered some resin bases and want to get them off without damaging them too much.)

Most superglue companies provide something usually called a debonder. Probably depends again on what you used in the first place. best luck comes with matching debonder to glue brand

I have seen in video's where people spray something on super glue and it bonds immediatly(anybody know what that is it would make assembeling things like arachnids a hell of a lot simpler)

Again, most super glue companies provide what is called an accelerator for their product. Sounds like a trip to the local hobby store is recommended to see what is available. I have something called Insta-set that I've used for years..violently nasty vanilla smell, but works pretty well

What do you in the know use to finish a model. I have heard about minwax. Haven't tried it but would consider something like this.

Never heard of minwax..sometimes Future floor polish is used as a clearcoat in modeling(it's basically clear acrylic) but I don't know how it works on miniatures. Maybe properly thinned a lot it would work..but there are better answers out there...seems like a popular option is any kind of flat clear coat

anyway, hopefully others will provide better answers, but this is the basics

Dave

Cool info but I was wondering will simple green damage plastic models or any green stuffing that may have occurred also how does it affect resin thanks for the info.

I've NEVER heard of Simple Green doing harm when used for a short amount of time. I HAVE heard of it softening plastic if it's left in the liquid too long. I have NO idea what too long would be... I think it''s typically more than a few days.

I would test the resin in a bath for a day or two. A bit of the resin sprue or something if you have it. Otherwise I would soak it for a day, scrub it down, and let it dry. That is NO guarantee that something won't go wrong, resins are pretty different from one another.