Measuring auras / magic resistance / terrifying

yes but no

Question

Hi, a couple questions here that have cropped up over my last couple of games that I'd like to get definitive answers to.

1.When may you measure an aura's area of effect?

2.Would you apply magic resistance to:

a. A spell with a :ranged symbol. If yes would you apply bulletproof to the same spell or is that only applicable to weapon attacks with the :ranged symbol?

b. A magical weapon such as the exorcist's symbol of office/sanctified crossbow.

c. A delayed spell trigger like Sonnia Criid's inferno.

3.OK so I know the answer to this one but am asking anyway so that I can tell a friend, yes, the internet says so. Does terrifying affect friendly models (assuming they don't have immunity by for example having the construct trait)?

oh actually one more question

4.Lazarus has reinforced armour that says it may not be modified or ignored, he also has a (0) talent that allows the borrowing of other talents/spells from friendly constructs. Now I gather that if I were to borrow armour +3 from a friendly construct I couldn't combine the two but could I just choose to use the +3 in place of his +1?

6 answers to this question

After consultation:

1. I would say any time, but can't find the actual rule

2. Magic Resistant gives armor vs spells and spell effects so,

A. Yes, and yes as bulletproof is vs all ranged attacks

B. No, magical weapons are not spells

C. Yes, as it's still a spell effect

3. Same as above, terrifying does not affect friendly models

4. Not familiar enough with Lazarus, sorry!

Hope that helps!

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

But to take a stab at it, armor stacks, which I would think is different than being modified, so were you playing against me when this question arose, I'd say armor+ 4

But just an educated guess

lol the one thing I was sure of was that terrifying affected your own friendly models but of course it turns out that's not the case. Someone pointed out to me today that because your own friendly models don't have a melee threat range amongst each other terrifying wouldn't trigger.

I appreciate the answers marshimartian but I wonder, is anyone willing to give me a definitive answer on when you can measure auras? My concern is that you could use aura checking as an excuse to measure range to other models prior to declaring a non related ranged attack. In the rule book it quite clearly says that no premeasuring is allowed in Malifaux. It seems to me that in this case one could use aura range checking as a way of circumventing this rule. Can anyone confirm that you may check auras at any time?

@ 1: You can measure auras when they come into play and when they would become relevant. So if a Witchling Stalker has his Disrupt Magic aura up and a model near it tries to cast a spell you get to measure the aura, but not before the model has declared the attempt (and possibly wasted the action).

@ Lazarus: He always has, and uses, Armor +1, even if you copy Armor +3 from something else (that's the whole "can't be modified" bit).

Edited by Headcase2
spelling

lol the one thing I was sure of was that terrifying affected your own friendly models but of course it turns out that's not the case. Someone pointed out to me today that because your own friendly models don't have a melee threat range amongst each other terrifying wouldn't trigger.

Friendly models don't engage each other, but they're still in each others' melee range. This is an oversight in the RM, and has been clarified by Keltheos or Weird at some point, but I don't have the link handy.

Edit: Found it:

Terrifying clarification

Edited by Buhallin