The Crossing

Chucklemonkey

Or: Chuckles in non crime drama writing shocker.

Well after my last attempt rather died (and now being back where I consider home) I thought it time to have another crack at this writing game. This time, I know exactly where the story is going as despite the unlikelihood of later events much of this is actually based on a true story.

(Like really, not like Fargo style true story)

Anyway, so it begins.

.......................................................................................

Today 22.55

The men had spent the evening being warmed by a log fire which had long since burned away to embers, and, perhaps even more effectively, by a half bottle of imported Brandy they had shared.

The two of them had talked for hours, an Uncle and his Nephew, discussing the absen tfriends and family they once both knew.

They were silent now.

The only sound in the room was that of the small grey and white cat purring contentedly to itself as it embraced every last moment of heat it that it could.

Neither could believe that a man they had both known for so many years could have deceived them so thoroughly, that they had failed to fit the pieces together until now.

And yet they both knew it to be true.

Some 50 years earlier....

The young man momentarily paused on the station platform in an effort to get his bearings. He repositioned the hat which had fought to free itself from his thick black hair as the three of them had passed through the breach together. He was of average height, with striking blue eyes and was possessed of a skin which could only be described as swarthy; well, at least it would be by any maritime men, had he known any. A combination of these factors resulted in people often adding a handful of years to the tender nineteen of which he had actually thus far enjoyed and he supposed it was this that allowed him to be so successful with the opposite sex. More successful than he considered he had anyright to be in any case.

Scanning the station for the exit sign took a few moments longer than it perhaps should have done. He blamed this on eyes which remained clouded as a result of celebrations held for him by the friends he had now left behind. Reaching downhe took hold of his small luggage case containing only clothing, a map of Malifaux, and the letter from his brother which had resulted in the journey. With the sense of adventure still emanating from the pit of his stomach he strode purposefully towards the exit.

As had been described exactly in the letter, the pristine red and gold carriage was waiting for him when he turned onto the dirt road that acted as the main thorough-fair between the station and Malifaux town itself.

“Good morning sir, I was starting to think you weren’t coming” said a jovial voice from a head that appeared above the two horses

Jochen looked up at the man with a broad smile, “No chance of that” he replied before taking the two steps up into the body of the Carriage. “My name’s Henshall sir ”he heard from the front, before the voice continued, along with the crack of a leather whip, “What brings you to our side of the breach?”

Jochen felt the forward momentum gather pace before.

“My brother, he says he has work for me. There isn’t enough of that earth-side.”

“You mean the mayor is your brother? I mean, I know he only presides over a portion of the city on behalf of the Governor, but still his word carries weight round these parts. What type of work will he have you doing?” Henshall responded.

“That I don’t know yet Henshall, I’m just answering the call.

A mere 10 minutes later he followed Henshall down an impressive oak lined hallway; white marble floors shining like moonlight on a crisp winter’s eve. Henshall spoke over his shoulder “yup, a very nice set-up your brother has here. Just around the corner now sir".

They turned left and passed two guards in their bright red uniform, one of them, a woman with bright golden hair cascading in waves to her shoulders caught his eye, he could swear he saw a slight upturn in the corner of her mouth. Henshall stopped then in front of a heavy looking door guarded by two metal griffon doorknobs. “This is as far as I go sir, my delivery made so to speak. I do hope you find Malifaux agreeable."

Jochen’s eyes tried to follow the female guard as she turned a corner and left his field of view.

"I’m sure I will like it here just fine. Thanks Henshall, I’ll see you around.”

Turning one of the Griffons he strode straight through the door without signalling his entrance.

A man sat behind the ornate writing desk that so dominated the imposing candlelit room; his head snapped up and as their eyes met the first thing Jochen noted was the look of anger and annoyance that had been shot in his direction. Then the eyes softened and the grimmace replaced with a beaming grin.

“You made it then brother?”

“I did that Sascha. You know you seem to have put on a few pounds since last we spoke. More than a few truth be told…”

Sascha rose from his chair, circled the desk and embraced Jochen, talking all the while.

"So how was the journey? The crossing of the breach is quite something isn’t it? Is this all you’ve brought?” The questions came thick and fast, and after a further few minutes of pleasantries Jochen saw the opportunity to ask the one question he really wanted to know.

“So what am I doing here?"

“You Jochen are going to be working for the Guild, not as a guard you understand. Even I couldn’t manage that, I don’t imagine you would know which end to hold a peacebringer, no? You will be a coachman, a driver so to speak. I have a coach and horses all prepared, you’ll love them." Sascha continued to talk as he led his younger brother back down the hallway.

“There’s a new face in town” declared Henshall over the frothy head of his pint of ale. His companion looked up to him, his interest clearly piqued.

“Oh yes?”

“Yup, not sure if it’s any use to you but just the fact of who he his should alone justify this week’s retainer.” Henshall added.

The other man was older than Henshall, with greying hair, and spectacles that made him appear bookish. Henshall had been introduced to him years earlier and told his name was Michael. He did not believe that to be true.

“Tell me what you know and then I’ll decide what it’s worth. You know how this works by now.”

Henshall’s eyes narrowed, He was always off balance when talking to the man he knew as Michael, never knowing if he was being threatened. It made him feel deeply uncomfortable despite the other man's smaller stature. “Well, he continued. Let’s just say our good friend Sascha has some re-inforcements. His brother Jochen arrived on the train today."

Michael’s eyebrow rose. “Really? Why I think that is the first interesting thing you have told me in some time. We’ll have to keep an eye on our new friend now won’t we?” He pushed his chair back and rose to his feet throwing some loose coin onto the table between them. “At the very least, it’s worth a drink.”

Michael purposefully traversed the crowded bar. Henshall returned to his ale.

(Had a nightmare with the text editor there, if anyone sees a formatting error I have missed please let me know, thanks)

Edited by Chucklemonkey