Desp merch + dispel & bury

Caleb

Question

I just read this on the Guild faction forum:

Something I thought of was using a a witchling to dispel magic on a desperate merc after you've used "for my family" on it. Then you can do it again and again!

If you are doing this, you may want to keep the merc around after turn 3. You can pine box them from the end of turn 3, then let them out at the end of turn 4 to save yourself the extra soulstone. This will be situational, however, as it will cost you a turn's worth of ap from your death marshall.

Can i do this with the desperate mercenary?

9 answers to this question

Yes. For My Family places an effect on the model and the sacrifice is part of that effect. If said effect is dispelled, there'll be no need to sacrifice it.

Also, burying them with Pine Box will work as the guy has stated since Making Ends Meet only happens once, at the end of the third turn, and if the model is not in play it can't be affected by it.

Edited by Calmdown

Yes. For My Family places an effect on the model and the sacrifice is part of that effect. If said effect is dispelled, there'll be no need to sacrifice it.

Also, burying them with Pine Box will work as the guy has stated since Making Ends Meet only happens once, at the end of the third turn, and if the model is not in play it can't be affected by it.

Yes, that's my understanding of the rules too, but i need an official clarification from a Rules Marshall before i can use it at our local game club, because somebody doesn't believe me :)

Rules Marshals are really busy... there's plenty of questions floated by people around here that actually *need* an RM because there's no way the rulebook can answer them. This one is answered easily by the rulebook, though, so instead of waiting on them I'd suggest a swift kick would be a better alternative for said gentleman :)

The quoted post is mine, so I definately think it's legal! :)

Calmdown, do you think it's a worthwhile tactic? (situationally, obviously)

Absolutely. Mercs are amazing models even without this tactic, this is even better, well done for spotting it!

Abuse bury while you can, before it gets fixed (because I bet/hope it will do soon!)

I usually agree that if something is legal, it's fair game. However, my advice is to not bother with something if its this likely to get fixed/changed. That's the surest way to not get used to it.

Also, in the op's case, it's obviously rubbing another player the wrong way. They should maybe point out the tactic's legality, but not abuse it. When it does get changed, they'll be less likely to receive a smug, "see, I told you so" (not that their opponent was actually right).

Then again, maybe the FAQ/Errata won't change this.