New Neverborn player needs help at 25ss

cgyacht

Hello all,

I will be playing my first malifaux game tomorrow with my warmachine buds. We are all beginner players as we are trying to get this game going at our store. We love Warmachine but it gets old if that is all you play.

I have the models to play Dreamer and Lilith. I am leaning towards Lilith as I think she will be better for learning the game. We will not be playing schemes for the first week and just doing a kill scenario while we learn the mechanics.

I want to try:

Lillith

primordial totem

terror tot

terror tot

terror tot

BBS

young neph

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CG

Avoid Dreamer for learning and for your friends' enjoyment :)

There's not much choice in there, basically you'll need to run all of it for a 25ss list.

The problem is that you have no models (and cards) for your Tots and Youngs to grow into, making one of the major things that that stuff does a bit useless.

For a learning game that's fine; just use what you have and run around beating stuff up. Should be fun. Expand your list later once you get into it a bit more.

Welcome to Malifaux!

Avoid Dreamer for learning
Couldn't agree more.

and for your friends' enjoyment
This depends on the type of players in your local meta. My friends and I are EXTREMELY competitive, and never pull any punches. Some people don't like to play that way, some do.

Welcome to Malifaux!
Seconded! :)

The cards for the Mature Nephalim and young and all the early models are available for free download from the left hand side of this forum, just proxy any models you need.

if you are using schemes, don't get so caught up in killing stuff that you forget to achieve them. It is how you win.

Welcome to Malfaux

Sorry I did not explain myself well enough. I have the models listed below:

Lillith

primordial magic

cherub

6x terror tots

4x young nephilim

2x mature nephilim

2x lelu

2x lilitu

1x black blood shaman

Nekima

2x desperate mercs

I was wondering if this list is a good starting 25ss or would something different be suggested. The list is pretty straight forward. Try to beat face and grow Nephilim with black blood shaman then beat more face. I will be adding the twins once we get to 35ss and higher games.

Lillith

Primordial Magic

BBS

Terror Tot x3

Young Nephilim

6ss cache

Or would it be better to drop a tot and upgrade the young to a mature and have a 5ss cache.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Oh yeah.

And most of all thank you for the nice welcome! I hope to get Malifaux going here.

Does anyone know a place in south Florida where this game is really active. Any info on this would be wonderful as at my LGS Privateer press is what is played and at the other store it is mainly GW games which I am not a fan of.

Thanks again.

CG

Sorry I did not explain myself well enough. I have the models listed below:

Lillith

primordial magic

cherub

6x terror tots

4x young nephilim

2x mature nephilim

2x lelu

2x lilitu

1x black blood shaman

Nekima

2x desperate mercs

I was wondering if this list is a good starting 25ss or would something different be suggested. The list is pretty straight forward. Try to beat face and grow Nephilim with black blood shaman then beat more face. I will be adding the twins once we get to 35ss and higher games.

Lillith

Primordial Magic

BBS

Terror Tot x3

Young Nephilim

6ss cache

Or would it be better to drop a tot and upgrade the young to a mature and have a 5ss cache.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Ahah.

Well, the BBS is a fun model but pretty much no-one uses him because he's very fiddly and a little slow to get going. You should grow your Nephs as something that happens naturally during the game, rather than trying to focus too much on it.

Your best bet to keep the Neph theme would be to drop the BBS and one Tot (2 is enough, they hog your masks to make them sprint fast and you dont want to overload yourself on one suit dependency) and reassign those 9 points elsewhere, maybe into a Mature Neph and drop your cache to 5.

If you want to make the best list you possibly can with that (by no means a requirement at 25ss when you're just starting out - depends if you feel your opponents warrant your best list or not!) you'll probably want:

Lilith - 6ss cache

Primordial Magic

2x Lelu

Lilitu

Of the traditional Nephilim growth cycle I feel like the Young are the most efficient in terms of cost verses effectiveness.

I agree with Calmdown that 2 tots is probably enough, but I would rather take 2 young than 1 mature most of the time. Tots can actually do more damage than a mature, have almost the same threat range, and are arguably more survivable because of their height 2.

There are times when a pair of Young are better choices than a pair of twins. For example, if there is a lot of LOS blocking terrain and you can abuse "diving attack".

Apart from a dedicated grow list I feel like the growth mechanic should not be banked on, but should be instead just a pleasant benefit of killing your opponents models. Don't play as if you need your models to grow, but allow growth to make your fight even easier.

2 Lelu and 1 Lilitu can be great for killing stuff, but can suffer in claiming objectives without the Dreamer positioning them wherever he wants them to be. Lelu is amongst the slowest of the Nephilim.