shikome questions

naiatoc

I recently started collecting and painting a Kirai crew. After reading through all the spirits to see what my options are I have a couple of issues with understanding the special shikome rules.

First. I assume Single Minded and Hunting Partner stack if one shikome Partners with the other. Essentially giving ++ to the attack and damage flips. However, it does NOT get Fast x2. Right?

Second. If I take 2 and give each one a different Single Minded target, then it would be stupid for one to Hunting Partner the other as that one would be unable to attack anything. (It can't attack anything except it's Single Minded target and it is also unable to attack anything except its Hunting Partner target, so if it attacks either target it is breaking one rule or the other. Therefore it is just indecisive and can't attack either.)

Yes, as far as I'm aware, Single Minded and Hunting Partner stack as long as both Shikome have the same prey - by the rules they work and I haven't seen any errata or FAQ to the contrary. But yes, Fast cannot stack. You probably won't need it with flips like that though.

Your second paragraph is correct. If they both have different prey and then one Partners the other, it is excluded from attacking any models but its Prey by the Partner, and excluded from attacking the partner target by the Prey. However, it does give you twice as many models that can trigger you getting fast, a niche but potentially usable situation if all you need to do is move.

Yeah my brother was doin this to me, it's horrible, the thing to remember tho is it leaves both shikome only able to attack the one target, it focuses a large chunk of your force (14ss?) against a target that your opponent knows from the get go. It makes a counter tactic pretty easy to work out.

That said if an opponents force depends on a central model or the strat does then it's just horrible to deal with ;)

Yeah my brother was doin this to me, it's horrible, the thing to remember tho is it leaves both shikome only able to attack the one target, it focuses a large chunk of your force (14ss?) against a target that your opponent knows from the get go. It makes a counter tactic pretty easy to work out.

That said if an opponents force depends on a central model or the strat does then it's just horrible to deal with ;)

Maybe on paper, but in reality when played properly Prey is never a hindrance. Your Prey should always be targets that your opponent cant afford to 'hang back' out of the battle, and that it will cause him issues to lose. Even if he does hang back, then a) Its very easy to catapult Shikomes nearly 40" across the battlefield (more than the whole length of a Malifaux board) and/or B) it means your opponent's guy is taken out of the battle whilst the Shikome is free to grab objectives, etc. It's also easy to make your prey a Grudge/Kill Protegee target, meaning that your focus on killing that model is worthwhile.

I don't recall ever actually starting with a Shikome. I always evolve it and pick a prey target that isn't in the back corner of the opponent's deployment zone.

Believe it or not, Shikome does get used with masters other than Kirai ;)

I almost always run one with Marcus, and frequently with Seamus. She's a great hitter no matter what.

But I'll agree with the above - if your opponent is leaving the Prey hanging back, and keeping it out of the fight, then that's still your advantage. And even if they're hanging back, Guarantee Fate has a pretty huge range on it, you can still use her Terrifying, and she can still capture objectives. But honestly, she's so fast I don't think I've ever seen anything that could really hide from her anyway. The 40" is probably a little optimistic, IMHO, but you've got a guaranteed 15" + Stalk Prey moves, plus anything else you throw in. Hiding the Prey in the back corner just means there's nothing else to retaliate once she gets there :vb_devil:

you can still use her Terrifying, and she can still capture objectives. But honestly, she's so fast I don't think I've ever seen anything that could really hide from her anyway.

That's just what I was thinking. Flight and speed make them great hunters. Or I can use them for taking objectives (that is how you win the game after all!)

I'm glad for the feedback, because sometimes good theory and good in practice are two different things... I like reading what you guys have to say!