New gremlin master - yup, you guessed it. tactics?

BayouShark

So, I picked up Somer Teeth Jones because, frankly, redneck gremlins are awesome. I have:

Somer

4 bayou gremlins

4 skeeters

4 piglets

Warpig

hog whisperer

2 slop haulers

I'm playing my first game at 35SS tonight and will be using 2 of each of the gremlins, skeeters and piglets.

Plan will be: somer activates first with get yer bro. If i have the cards for another get yer bro, I will. companion the skeeters and larva twice to get 4 skeeters and 4 cards drawn.

next activations will be the new skeeters to fly up and start discarding cards.

then the hog whisperer to move into midfield and sooey to start bouncing pigs everywhere.

next turn, somer will try and git yer bro again on the gremlins (who will have been healed by the slop hauler), who will then move up to support the piggies.

am i relying too much on the haulers and whisperer? they are both quite expensive, but i figure if i have a large card advantage, i won't have the issues i've had before with rubbish gremlin shooting.

the slop hauler is amazing. i'm starting with 2 skeeters so i can move one and soeey on the first turn.

also, is it just me, or is the warpig not that good for its SS cost? it doesn't do that much more damage than a piglet, it has less defence than a piglet. it has a lot more wounds, but with a slop hauler around, that shouldn't be a huge issue. i'm looking at the cards now, i'd rather take 2 piglets and 2SS (for a gremlin or cache) than 1 warpig.

The Warpig is far too overpriced for what it does. It's stat line is bleh at best and it's an easy Kill Protege for your opponent. There is way too much the rest of your crew has to do (healing flips, sooey, gremlins luck, etc) to make a mediocre 8ss model effective. People ask my why I haven't used one since the LaCroix box was released last year. Well, Ophelia hired in a Som'er list is also 8ss...and she can do way much more than a Warpig ever will. The Warpig needs Ward to Wound or armor...or simple make it 6ss.

Agree. If I had ophelia in the crew above, I get a far more effective gremlin gunline going while the piggies are causing havoc and the skeeters are draining cards.

I might swap the warpig out tonight for 2 piglets and a 2ss cache for somer. Reactivate is more risky on the pigs but with a slop hauler and hog whisperer nearby, I should still get the regenerating swarm thing going.

Don't forget that the Warpig can eat a wounded Gremlin to heal itself to full (Eat Your Fill). If you can get the Git Yer Bro thing going well enough, Eat Your Fill can get positively aggravating. (Not that it isn't anyway, if it's on the other side.)

Just keep a wounded Gremlin nearby (within the pig's melee range) whenever it's attacking something. If you can't eat your initial target and take a lot of damage, you've got a handy Gremlin burger right there. :D

(A version of this trick works well with the Taxidermist, too.)

You've got a good balanced list, but I've found it better to go with spamming down a lot of whatever I decide to field. (Could be just me, of course.)

I've sent in swarms of Gremlins (as you may have guessed...), multiple pigs, and the Mosquito swarm.

The big thing is not to get discouraged early on (the Gremlins are tough to play). Just keep trying until you find a tactic/crew setup that works for you.

Being silly while playing them helps, too. (I've annoyed many an opponent with cheesy caricatures of accents.)

Won 5 vp to 0. We flipped reconnoiter. He had assassinate and gather evidence, I had bodyguard and breakthrough. He was running perdita.

I basically clogged up his shooting line by getting all 4 piglets (didn't take the warpig in the end) soeeyd and activated at him when he had no activations left. The skeeters made a nuisance of themselves by discarding his control hand every turn, so even when I was fighting his higher def models I had a decent shot at hitting, and with 4 stampeding piglets, I was making a lot of attacks. Moment of the game was slopping on perdita then blowing her away with a bayou gremlin and somer.

Honestly, with the constant healing flips, regenerating of models and sheer amount of pushes you can generate, I'm failing to see why somer is seen as weak.

I think the pigs are mandatory in a somer list, but I might drop the hog whisperer and 1 piglet to get ophelia in at 35ss and back up the pigs with a gremlin gunline that can shoot and avoid hurting itself

He's not so much weak as tricky.

You have to find a trick or, better yet, set of tricks that makes his crew work for you. (Which it looks like you may have already done.)

Some of the other crews are good at just going in slugging, but Som'er needs a good amount of finesse (or something that can fake it well, like I usually do). :D