Malibowl : encounter or mini game inspired by the french "soule"

yslaire

Question

I wonder if it would be fun to have some sort of encounter or mini game with the Malifaux setting and rule system allowing to play a game inspired by the french medieval "rugby" game called "La Soule".

The game had no proper terrain : teams had the possibility to move through the entire countryside.

No holds bared.

They had to pick a ball or a piece of rag (why not a "puppet" or doll?) and bring it to a place located in the opponent team zone (lake, tree, pond, swamp island...)

The other option would be to use a soulstone as a ball with the possibility to use it (that would destroy it and summon it back at the center of the table for example)...

Any ideas to design such an encounter or mini-game?

4 answers to this question

Reminds me of another game involving a ball and blood, what was it, Blood and Bowl?.. lol

That game is fun, and I like the idea of some type of puppet-bowl! Aslong as it was not too similar to that other game, as I like the originality of Malifaux too much to have a sub game too similar to an existing game system.

so, ideas on game mechanics?...

I think of it more as a special kind of encounter similar to "sabotage" but with appropriate duels to resolve the puppet throwing or kicking and catching.

No custom game board needed (it's played in the countryside).

Examble of actions with the "puppet doll" :

Hand the puppet to an adjacent player (0)

Throw the puppet (1)

Kick the puppet (2)

Pick up the puppet on the floor (1)

Now the difficulty is to determine which characteristic(s) must be used for throwing and catching (maybe Cb for throw or kick and Wp for catching) and of course : how to determine a TN?

Maybe a distance mesured in card length would give appropriate TN : 2 within cards TN = 12 ; 4 cards TN = 14 ; 6 cards : 20

I suggest dropping something (a card?) from 2 feets above the table for scatters when the puppet is not catched.

Ex : flip and drop a card as close as possible of the target figure. The opponent designates a corner of the card, the puppet scatters of the value of the card in inches...

Black Joker : make an other scatter flip and drop

Red Joker : choose the the corner of the card and push the target figure near the puppet

Football would be much simpler. Melee strike the ball and move it a number of inches equal to the difference in duel totals (providing you win, of course). Your opponent flips for the 'ball' (preferably a Gremlin), and cannot cheat the flip. Kick the 'ball' between two 'goalposts' to score.

I've been working on something like this as a strategy for a little while...got the idea after reading the fluff for Ophelia's crew.