Lilith and Dreamer Questions

Da Big Baws

Well matching my other topics on the other factions boards it is Neverborn's turn. I am considering to get into Malifaux and from Neverborn only Lilith and the Dreamer look interesting.

How do each generally play?

Anyone care to sum up the Dreamer's background / fluff?

How good are each out of their boxed sets? I'm starting with JUST one Boxed set. If possible, maybe I can get one more model, but I doubt I can.

Well matching my other topics on the other factions boards it is Neverborn's turn. I am considering to get into Malifaux and from Neverborn only Lilith and the Dreamer look interesting.

How do each generally play?

Anyone care to sum up the Dreamer's background / fluff?

How good are each out of their boxed sets? I'm starting with JUST one Boxed set. If possible, maybe I can get one more model, but I doubt I can.

Hello there and hopefully welcome to Neverborn! You've picked the right place =)

Lilith is a much more beginner friendly Master then the Dreamer as the Dreamer breaks several base rules of the game =D. But that is not to call Lilith simple, she has a deep deep depth of powerful board/movement control effects and a powerhouse of a melee/synergistic crew.

So Lilith's Basic play style is one of trickery, board domination, and high powered melee minions that synergize well together. Her crew basic crew is made up of any number of Nephilim models and tends to focus almost exclusively on melee combat (which they excel at). She is quick and very deadly herself with the ability to switchs models places, create a forest here or there, and generally get your opponent no matter where they try to hide from her.

The Dreamer is more complex but plays like a surgical striker, he can bury and unbury his Nightmare models (which he runs truthfully nothing but) dropping them where he needs them and hiding them away when they are in danger. LCB is the melee powerhouse component of the Dreamer (the dreamer is a complete wuss in combat) and is one of the best Master killers in the game because he can be unburied just like any other Nightmare and has a lot of melee power (Great CB and reach along with high damage and fantastic triggers). The Dreamers crew runs the gambit from melee focused to support focused and everything in between.

These two masters do share a bit of cross model usefullness in the form of Lelu and Lilitu who are fantastic models but you pretty much need to bring them in pairs.

The Dreamer is actually a child in our world who when he dreams appears in Malifaux and has the ability ot manipulate the reality there. Lord Chompy Bits (who is basically the primordial human nightmare/fear thing) found him one day in the land of dreams etc and tried to scare him and drain him. But he couldn't so after trying for a while he became intrigued with this child who could essentially bring him into our reality and so he started following him around (or vice versa). But in the end, this kid believes Malifaux is his dreams and that the people and beings there are ... basically toys that he can play with. So he plays "games" with them which basically involve killing them etc heh.

Lilith's crew out of the Box Set is fantastic but you will want to pick up a blister of Young Npehilim because Tots grow to Young and Young mature to the Mature. The Dreamers set is also very solid and the dreamer's play style can be changed dramatically by just changing the models in his crew. Either way, you will WANT a blister of daydreams with the Dreamer as he really doesn't function well without them (they are his totems but you only need 1 blister to get all 3).

So you can play either out of the box but they will want a tad bit more to them. Atleast what they want to add is cheap though and you don't actually need any more to play the game. If worst comes to worst and you are strapped for cash, proxy till you can get the additional models but do eventually by them =)

Otherwise I will dirrect you to my Tactica's in my Signature and the tactica Wiki in there to. I'm not done moving all of the Tactica on these two over to the wiki yet so probably best to check out the documents for information beyond the masters info.

If you have any more questions please ask! Hope this helped.

Lilith is my favorite crew and master. Initially she seems very straight forward in being a melee beater. She does have several good tricks with transposition and making forests. She's also extremely fast and can maul models that over extend themselves. Between Tranposition, Master of Malifaux and Diving Attack your opponent will will struggle to hide from you if you want and you can ignore most terrain for movement through Float, Flight and Master of Malifaux. Finally the Terror Tots are great models for objective grabbing, especially since they're Ht1, fast, cheap and not insignificant.

Out of the box, you will need a pack of Young Nephalim for growing. The Lilitu and Lelu are also fantastic and the Black Blood Shaman and Nekima are released this week.

Lilith was my first master and has always been the one I enjoy the most. She is fast, she hits hard, she is hard to hit, and she can be tricky as well.

You don't "need" young nephilim with her, but they would be a good starting place to expand your crew.

She plays very well because she is fast. 3 AP allows her to either attack or move alot. She is good for getting objectives done because of her speed/master of Malifaux ability (AKA the "Lilith wins" abillity). She is good at being a reinforcement for something else, moving fast and getting where she needs to be to support her army or complete her mission.

She can attack through walls if they are less than 2 inches thick.

She can grow forests which block line of sight for models that have guns.

She can switch two minion's places (hers or her opponents, unfortunately she can no longer do this to herself without a totem)

She is amongthe harder masters to kill with her defense and abilities. (Her "weakness" is her WP stat, which I believe is a 6, not amazing, but not horrible either).

Her real weakness is operator error. Because she is so fast it is easy to get her too far from her army. Because she has a big sword it is tempting to run her straight at the enemy. She works best in the counter-charge, typically attacking as late in the turn as possible.

She typically likes to have a lot of soul stones. I usually take between 6 and 8 for her.

Lilith also benefits a lot from taking advantage of (abusing) the terrain on the table. She, as well as most neverborn minions, are very good "hit and run" fighting. Her crew will typically ignore difficult terrain completely with scout, flight, float, and other abilities. She works well placed in area difficult terrain where the enemy has to come (slowly) to her, and where her army suffers no adverse terrain penalties.

Well to my understanding the Dreamer won't grow up, because he's technically not alive. This is true in both fluff (story) and in the game, as he is classified as a Spirit on his stat card. That being said, I can highly recommend checking out Karn's tacticas on each of the masters. They give a really in depth exploration for each master and some of the minions they work with. If you really want to start with him, the Dreamer can be good to start with as well, but he is admittedly more complicated than Lilith. I started with Dreamer and now I'm on Lilith, and learning all of his trickery has helped me to not rush Lilith in and get her killed, but to play with all of her tricks and have fun with my opponent.

Welcome to Malifaux!

Edited by Allidor

Well to my understanding the Dreamer won't grow up, because he's technically not alive. This is true in both fluff (story) and in the game, as he is classified as a Spirit on his stat card. That being said, I can highly recommend checking out Karn's tacticas on each of the masters. They give a really in depth exploration for each master and some of the minions they work with. If you really want to start with him, the Dreamer can be good to start with as well, but he is admittedly more complicated than Lilith. I started with Dreamer and now I'm on Lilith, and learning all of his trickery has helped me to not rush Lilith in and get her killed, but to play with all of her tricks and have fun with my opponent.

Welcome to Malifaux!

I got a hold of RP yesterday. If I read correctly, he is a regular kid that through a dream state projects an image of himself to Malifaux. As a child, his real counterpart ages just like everyone.