The Watcher

TheGnas

So I finally played a game with my minis and I feel as if I did one thing wrong, and that was with how I used my watcher.

30ss of Hoffman vs Rasputina

My list was

Hoffman

Lucius

Ryle

Austringer

Guardsman

Watcher

So, essentially what I did was rush up my watcher towards his Ice Gamin in an effort to start my long range barrage. I did manage to get into the 4 inch range for his aura to take effect but then I essentially got raped by Rasputina.

Now, I know that the watcher isn't exactly the most durable thing on the table top, but it seems to me like I should be able to consistently get more than 1 turn of his ability out of him. It could just be that I was going up against Rasputina who is a damage machine... Even then I feel like there has to be something I can do to make the watcher more durable.

Any suggestions?

Well, cover won't protect you from a Channeled spell, especially against Rasputina. If you didn't provide any other targets at all, then it makes sense for her to pummel you.

I think the 4" cover-negating ability (forget it's name) for the Watcher IS actually kind of meant to be a one-use thing to some degree. So, you'll want to wait to do that maneuver until you've got several pieces that can wail on the target at once. Honestly though, I'd just go for the Sky Eye attack more often than not though, with it's 16" range, it grants the same effect if you hit the enemy.

I played one last night in my Levi crew, and I really liked using it's actions for looking at the cards in my deck. That was SUPER helpful. I saw somewhere on the boards here where someone suggested running two of them, one to hang in the back JUST for messing with your card deck, and then one for moving up front a bit more.

I see the Watcher swarm having a degree of uses. Mainly rushing forwards, grabbing objectives then flying back. Let your heavy hitters do the hard work. They are the most scenario dependent of Hoffman's constructs but also the most versitile.

Despite theri other abilities, they're worth it for Slow to Die and thta high movement.

The whole negate cover thing is his secondary use by far , keep him back and stack cards , late game fly in to get objectives or use the flashlight . in hoffman he is there cause he moves 7 and can keep up with the Hoffman cluster o pain , he is also a good peice to give slow too to give the Hoff fast and to sack if you need healing .