Flush and Wire Cutter Reviews

Kaane Feinwong

First, I don't normally write these but I was so frustrated with these things I thought if I was able to help someone avoid my level of stress, so be it. I hope others will post their reviews of their own tools used around Malifaux without having to surf through those ...ehhmm... "other"..mini websites.

Most flush cutters are not for detailed metal work. They are usually for plastics. But sometimes you are in a bind or you just want to clip something small and don't want to have to get out the big tools. I'll start with my first hobby flush cutters:

Galeforce Nine Flush Cutters:

Available at LGS and hobby shops.

http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=254&osCsid=b1cv3bv73sckv6i2s31s758oo3

First impressions: They are crap. For $14 bucks you get some cutters that are about the same quality as the $3 cutters in the discount bin at your local drug store.

My first issue is they don't open very far. (yes, there is a dent in them, more on that in a bit) The design actually prevents you from opening it farther than this:

IMG_1027.JPG

My second issue the one that I got didn't even have a flush tip! When closed, the tips of each blade didn't touch which means no clipping small items with just the tip. It just simply wouldn't cut all the way. If you do buy these, be sure to check them first.

IMG_1024.JPG

My third issue is the metal. These flush cutters are designed for plastic. They are not good cutters for metal. Any type of metal. The first time I tried to cut a wire for pinning, it left a bite in the blade. Do not get these for working on metal!

Crescent Mini Wire Cutters and Pliers Set

IMG_1019.JPG

Available at most Retailers

First impressions: Pretty good. I've always like Crescent. They make a good quality tool.

First off, these are not labelled as flush cutters. they actually come in a combo pack of mini wire cutters and pliers. I got the set at Home Depot for $14.

The wire cutters actually have a rating for 20 awg (.8mm) wire, which is pretty low. But, I've cut RG59 Coax with no marring or bending. You won't have any problems with these if you need them for cutting the smaller pins or your models. Now, you shouldn't be cutting your pins with this, but they can. The tip was flush and the edge nice and clean.

IMG_1025.JPG

These open a lot wider. Wider than you will probably need, but perfect for models.

IMG_1021.JPG

Overall, very nice and I have and extra pair of pliers to boot! This just goes to show that if you want good tools, don't waste your money on the poor quality stuff.

Wire Cutters

I wish I had more to review in this area, but I'll be honest, there are a few really good quality brands and then there are a lot...A LOT...of crap tools that end up being one time use. You know you are in trouble if they give you multiples of the same thing, but I digress. A good investment will last you a lifetime.

Stanley MaxSteel™ Diagonal Cutting Pliers

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=MAXSTEEL+PLIERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=89-861&SDesc=8%26%2334%3B+Angled+Diagonal+Cutting+Pliers

IMG_1039.JPG

Available at most Retailers

Is there nothing these things won't cut?! I've cut plastic, models, wire, screws, screw heads, hack saw blades, heck, I bet they would cut those Galeforce Nine pliers! hmmmmm... Let's try that...

IMG_1034.JPG

Hmmm maybe if I worked out and didn't work on models all day...

but the Stanley cutters are no more worse for the ware!

IMG_1031.JPG

honestly, for any of your pinning or abstract basing work with metals, washers and what not, these are awesome. They are also around $15 bucks and will cut anything you want for your modelling work.

IMG_1038.JPG

Edited by Kaane Feinwong