Scenario Play

paradox

Simple questions: How do you approach the Strategies and Scheme(s)?

Do you simply build a list towards what your opponent is playing (faction-wise)?

Do you build a list towards the Strategy or Schemes?

Do you take 2 schemes, or one and the extra stones?

When you play, are you simply going for the kill, or for the VPs?

What strategies do you like best/which do you feel Guild is best at?

What schemes do you prefer to play?

Wow - lots of points.

Crew is chosen to try and counter the opponent's chosen Master and achieve the strategy. Kills don't matter (though they're fun) - it's all about the VPs (you can win with 1 figure remaining don't forget).

Difficult to comment on strategies & schemes as the ease/difficulty can depend on your opponent's crew and the terrain - even the set-up type. Hold Out is a standard scheme for many games, but useless against a fast moving crew like the showgirls.

In other words, play some games and find out what works FOR YOU!

For myself, I feel Guild is pretty good at killin'.

That said, I tend to play towards getting the scenario and schemes. I don't necessarily try to block my opponents schemes (if announced).

I only have a handful of models, so my lists are pretty much the same. I also have not played enough strategies enough times to have a real preference. But I think we are pretty good at holding a point. Or killin stuff. ;)

In a competative environement, I have a hard time NOT taking Hold Out. So easy to announce and score on in a vast array of circumstances. I also find the master-specific ones to be pretty god-awful to accomplish, but fun to try nonetheless.

Typically I have taken the easiest possible schemes to score on, though my last few games I have made myself play master-specific.

I recently (re)learned I cold forego a scheme for more stones. I need to play with that more. Stones are damned handy, but not being able to rack as many VP as the other guy may dump you into an auto-lose situation.

I absolutely LOVE the Strategies and Schemes, and how they affect play. I continue to look forward to this aspect of the game developing.

Now I need to print and laminate the cards...

Simple questions: How do you approach the Strategies and Scheme(s)?

Do you simply build a list towards what your opponent is playing (faction-wise)?

Always.

Do you build a list towards the Strategy or Schemes?

Always.

Do you take 2 schemes, or one and the extra stones?

2 schemes.

When you play, are you simply going for the kill, or for the VPs?

I usually try and pick off soft targets or focus on taking down some big nasty as long as it doesn't put my vp's in direct jeopardy. Once I've cleared the board a bit, I focus on the vp's.

What strategies do you like best/which do you feel Guild is best at?

Anything that doesn't involve killing stuff that is hard to kill or in a specific manner(i.e. melee). Plant the evidence is one I can think of off the top of my head that is pretty easy.

What schemes do you prefer to play?

Eye for an eye, stake a claim, hold out, and break through.

Chicago is a pretty competitive meta. Lots of quality players and frequent tourneys. Thus, in tournament play, I always announce 2 schemes and take the hardest list I can knock together. I don't recall being to a tourney where the winner didn't earn at least 24 vps.

In friendly games, I usually take stuff that is a little more difficult to play. I.E. Sonia Criid, harder schemes to pull off, pieces I don't usually favor in tourney play(For instance, in a tourney, I take the Judge over the Executioner every time for my melee piece).

Difficult to comment on strategies & schemes as the ease/difficulty can depend on your opponent's crew and the terrain - even the set-up type. Hold Out is a standard scheme for many games, but useless against a fast moving crew like the showgirls.

Though Hold Out scores at the end of the game, so if the Showgirls make an early push, would you not simply shoot them down?

The only time I can recall I have NOT scored for this scheme in the past year was 1 game where a gremlin player flew a pig into my zone, then rooted it last turn. I was so far up-table that I couldn't get a bead on it in time to kill it with the closest marshal.

Then again, it was one of my 1st games vs gremlins, and one of the gremlin player's 1st games period. So alot of suprises happend on both sides.

In Hold Out (and with Guild in general) it seems pretty easy to take the approach of breaking off the closest thing to you, then moving to the next. That's why I like taking it, it almost guarantees VPs. But it doesn't make for exciting games, rather only contributes to an "army kill"mentality of play, which is why I'd rather it was removed completely, or at least heavily modified.