Battle Brush Studios Commission Painting Log

Sigur

@dgraz: Thanks. :) I always tend to do research, especially with more ambitious projects which go in a more naturalistic direction. My recently deceased dog ( :( ) made me think of the black "lips" and general maw region so I did some additional research in that regard to get that right. (just google image search of course, I didn't stick my head into a lion's maw. :P ).

Research is so key. I also always do the research. Lots of people don't - they don't realize how our brains are programmed at an early age to see and remember things and just because we can't recall certain details doesn't mean those details aren't in our head somewhere and we just instinctively know when something is "wrong".

And as a dog-lover myself, I'm very sorry about your dog.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@dgraz: Indeed. It's not as important with fantasy stuffs but with (semi-)historicals or naturalistic things, a little research can't hurt, especially with today's readily available tons of information.

Little update - Outriders finished:

outridersneu1.jpg

outridersneu2.jpg

outridersneu3.jpg

I also did as much as I could on the black and yellow uniforms on the rest of the dudes- I try to get as much done as possible on the whole bunch but once I notice that I'm getting annoyed with doing the same thing over and over, I continue painting one single unit (if that makes sense). That way, the overall workload should be reduced with time.

@Lord Gordonis: Thanks. :) There will be an update about the Chimera shortly. unfortunately, at this stage it's basically just endless and subtle shading and highlighting, slight changes in tones and details and so on.

And now for a change, it's time for a new sci-fi project and again it is set in the grimdark future of the 41st millenium!

Here's a testmini that's still a little WIP:

bild-8490.jpg

I have no idea what went wrong with the lighting on this one. Some days that just happens. Anyway, stay tuned for more of his brethen and some dudes to fight them!

@Katie v Vhoorl: Thanks for the comment and the link. That Hybrid baby really is impressive stuff. Nice, haven't seen it before. Thanks for the compliment but I have to admit that I didn't build these minis myself. I was just hired to paint them. :)

Here's a little preview shot of the rest of the 4th generation Hybrids:

bild-8493.jpg

@JMGraham: Haha, thanks. I love Genestealer Cults as well. Tyranids are one of my least favorite armies in 40k by far but Genestealer Cults as a concept and the whole background and style is one of the most interesting ones. Anyway, no Limo I'm afraid. :(

Update:

bild-8498.jpg

Thanks, daemonkin. :)

The weekend has been rather eventful (friday and saturday at least. Sunday I wasn't able to do anything) so the first WIPs of the 3rd generation Hybrids are a little late:

bild-8516.jpg

bild-8517.jpg

Not all that much to say about these. I hope to finish them tonight. C&C welcome!

@dafruk: Thanks. The conversions were done by MajorTom11. You can find his conversion log over on DakkaDakka.com

Here's probably the last update for tonight:

bild-8520.jpg

The second Meltagun dude in the far left is a very cool conversion. That thing arching over the back of his head almost makes him look like he's got a topknot which makes for insta-coolness. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Wyrd people!

After some computer problems followed by some internet problems I'm back with a lot of pictures.

First off, finished 1st generation hybrids:

Alright, so here's some finished 1st generation Hybrids:

207887_md-Genestealer%2C%20Genestealer%20Cult%2C%20Hybrids%2C%20Space%20Hulk%2C%20Tyranids%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.jpg

207888_md-Genestealer%2C%20Genestealer%20Cult%2C%20Hybrids%2C%20Space%20Hulk%2C%20Tyranids%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.jpg

207889_md-Genestealer%2C%20Genestealer%20Cult%2C%20Hybrids%2C%20Space%20Hulk%2C%20Tyranids%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.jpg

...and the last two Hybrid fellas finished - "Fatty" the 4th generation guy and the guy who controls the 1st generation hybrids (the ones with the heavy weapons on their backs):

bild-8542.jpg

bild-8543.jpg

bild-8544.jpg

Then there's the finished Evil Sunz Space Ork Trukk:

bild-8552.jpg

bild-8550.jpg

bild-8551.jpg

bild-8553.jpg

...and the boyz to go with it:

bild-8554.jpg

Next up: Most probably the last miniatures that go with the Hybrids for Space Hulk - three Techpriests and five Blood Angels Terminators.

Again, no Malifaux (sorry 'bout that. Still working out when I paint these), but I hope you still like the miniatures and give me some feedback. :)

edit: Oh, those space $$$$$$$$$$$$ are finished as well:

bild-8540.jpg

bild-8541.jpg

Hahah, the forum software censors the point-eared ones. :D

After this litte trip into green territorry with the Orks, we're back to Space Hulkamania with early WIP Techpriests:

bild-8564.jpg

The awesomeness of dark metal and dark red combined never ceases to astound me. :P

Apart from that, it's time to finish that second batch of Averlanders (10 Archers, 1 Warrior Priest, 1 Mortar and Crew and 1 Steam Tank). Let's start with the archers and mortar crew and save the fun stuff for last:

bild-8563.jpg

Both pictures still aren't really finished so not that much to comment on I suppose. Still, questions, comments and critique are highly welcome as always. See you soon!

Beautiful work as always. I've just started grabbing some Eldar bits and peices and wasn't sold on the Harlequins, I really don't like diamond patterns, but yours are stunning and a really great different take on a colour scheme for them. Inspirational stuff, I will now buy Harlequins!

James.

@James: Thanks very much. Not too keen on the colour scheme on the Harlequins myself but great if you like it and helped Harlequins to get into your list. ;)

Well, here's the as-good-as-finished archers:

bild-8568.jpg

The feather on comrade Lenin's hat is still to finish as well as some finishing highlights here and there. I'll finish them tonight and hope to finish the Mortar crew as well.

See you soon!

Okay, sorry, I could have spared us the last update - the archers are finished now. I redid a bit more than I had planned but I like them quite a bit now. To make up for the heads on the state troopers, the faces and hats on these archers are terrific! It's a great mix of faces that are very reminicent of artworks of that time, some older faces and one face definately was sculpted after Lenin. :D I also love the outfits on those fellas. These little napkin-like things (sorry, can't think of a more proper term at the moment) around their necks and these hats indeed make for a more rural look and like they are simpler variations on traditional regional garbs which I really, really like. Empire armies are supposed to be colourful bunches after all.

Anyway, pictures:

bild-8570.jpg

I'm also happy to announce that the mortar crew is finished as well. I like those lads a lot because they have a lot of characters. I did some very small bitz swaps on those guys to make them look a bit different to other gun crews:

bild-8571.jpg

...and the last picture today is the first WIP of the Sigmarite warpriest:

bild-8572.jpg

Hope you like everything. Comments and critique are highly welcome as always and don't forget to visit Battle Brush Studios on Facebook! ;)