Rasputina vs. Pandora (Narrative)

Vorzakk

I miss Aunt Raspi

The day she died; she’d taken me, and my two brothers, and Big Brother out to some abandoned place on the edge of the swamp. There was a little house in the middle of the property and a tower down in the south-west corner that looked kinda like a windmill with the spinning parts gone. There were two big ponds; one on the south-east corner and one on the north-west corner. Up on the north-east corner were some woods. Aunt Raspi wanted us to spread out all over the property at the same time. I’m not sure what good that was supposed to do; but when Aunt Raspi told us to do something, we did it.

We were just heading onto the property from the south when we saw another bunch of people coming in from the north. There was a big girl with a box, a little girl, a baby, and these three weird ugly green guys. I don’t know what we did to make them so mad, but they wanted to kill us ALL!

Aunt Raspi had one of my brothers go hide in the tower and the other one go hide behind some reeds on the south side of the nearest pond. Me and Big Brother followed Aunt Raspi towards the house. The older girl and the baby came right for us (keeping just west of the house), the little girl ran into the house, and the green guys circled around the house in the opposite direction towards the swamp that my brother was hiding by.

The baby was stickin’ real close to the big girl. I can’t blame him; I wanted to stay close to Aunt Raspi too. Maybe the big girl was the baby’s big sister or something. Idunno. Anyway, the thing about that though was that it made it really easy for Aunt Raspi to use her favorite spell on them: bringing these really big globs of ice and freezing air down out of the sky. WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! By the time the mist cleared, the baby was dead and the big girl as hurt really bad.

Aunt Raspi was going to cover the house in freezing rain so the little girl would be stuck inside, but the little girl was too fast and she came out the front door. She tried to act all sweet and friendly and give Aunt Raspi a lollipop with poison in it, but Aunt Raspi was too smart to fall for that. But then the little girl was so upset that she started crying. And I don’t mean like a normal kid sounds when they cry; I’ve never heard such a horrible sound ever. I think it got on Big Brother’s nerves extra bad, because he walked up behind the little girl and chopped her up with his claws.

While all this was going on, my brother that was hiding by the pond came out to fight two of the green guys that were coming towards him. I was really scared that he was going to get killed, but he was fine. The fist green guy kinda wrapped around him, but then my brother cut him up with his claws. Then the same thing happened with the second one, but I think he managed to hurt my brother just a little bit. The third green guy just lurked around the woods the rest of the time.

Anyway; by this time, I thought everything was going great. But Aunt Raspi always said that in Malifaux; Fate can be your best friend one second and then kick you where it hurts the next. And she was right. Aunt Raspi told me to go around the house and stand between it and the woods; I figured she and big brother were going to finish off the big girl real quick; but then everything just went wrong.

The big girl was standing RIGHT THERE; and Big Brother and Aunt Raspi looked like they WANTED to attack, but they just stood there. I don’t know what the big girl said next, but all the sudden Aunt Raspi just starts crying and crying and going on about how she’s just a fraud and December is the one with all the REAL power. And not only is she getting sad, but it looks like she’s getting sick. And then finally she just collapsed on the ground right as Big Brother went crazy and started hitting himself.

Big brother says we won and we won big. Him and me and my brother were spread out on all four corners of the property, and the big girl hadn’t killed us all. But it doesn’t feel like we won to me.

I miss Aunt Raspi.

• 4 months later...