Frustration.

Chev Chelios

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are currently two places to play in the DFW area (that I'm aware of). One is Area-51 gaming in Grapevine (kind of far for me since I like in Plano/Frisco area) and the other is Hobbytown in Plano. Each of those places only has Malifaux play once a week though. I'm also in the same boat. The only other person I've played Malifaux with is a friend of mine but he doesn't have any of the figures, etc. I just let him borrow some of mine. We need to get a Malifaux gaming group setup for the DFW area.

I went by the Plano store and asked around they said there was no interest.Will try Area-51.I'm all for a gaming group.I've wondered if a lot of people play in their homes here.It also seems that a lot of of gaming takes place during the week,which makes it difficult on those of us that work Monday through Friday.

Yeah, The only time I've played was at my house. And it's tough since I can only play on the weekends (and even those are tight with family and kids). I think about once a month is about all that most of us married folk could do. Hobbytown in Plano was supposed to only be playing on Thursday nights, but I can see how the interest would be lite.

I'm in the same boat as far when i can game.In some ways playing at a home is much better,depending on if their are kids and spouses.But,you don't have to worry about closing times and such.I think it a much more relaxed enviroment too.More difficult to spread the word from home though.

Where is the Henchmen info at,by the way?

Like I've said before,the problem I am having now is learning the game.Maybe I'm old school but,I need to play to learn.I don't want this to sound like a desperately seeking ad or something.:puppy:

I agree, I have to actually play to learn. I tried reading through the rules, but until I played my first game it didn't quite gel. The tough part of trying to do a game at someone's home is with the internet you are never quite sure who is a weirdo, etc. So I'm always hesitant to suggest a game at someone's house. I wonder if we could convince some place like Hobbytown (or possibly a comic book shop, there are at least 2 in the Plano, TX area) to allow a game on Saturday or Sunday. I may go talk to the Lone Star folks.

I agree, I have to actually play to learn. I tried reading through the rules, but until I played my first game it didn't quite gel. The tough part of trying to do a game at someone's home is with the internet you are never quite sure who is a weirdo, etc. So I'm always hesitant to suggest a game at someone's house. I wonder if we could convince some place like Hobbytown (or possibly a comic book shop, there are at least 2 in the Plano, TX area) to allow a game on Saturday or Sunday. I may go talk to the Lone Star folks.

Most gamers are weird anyway,lol.I think anywhere would be great and I dont mind the hike.

Sorry to hear about your tribulations. Try not to be too hard on your local gaming stores. We've seen games come and go, we are in a very difficult economic climate, and the investment for a new, untested game is difficult to justify for one lone customer.

Personally, I'm particularly leery of games where the primary appeal is "it doesn't cost much to get into it!" Such games might be fads, but then they die if there isn't a more enduring hook.

I decided to bring in Malifaux because several of my regulars showed up to open gaming nights with models. I'm not stupid, if they want to play with models they bought elsewhere, I'm interested in finding a way to sell them those models. But the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned, and my inventory carry is being watched carefully. The question is: Does Malifaux have legs? Or is it "buy a starter box and then not buy anything more?" In which case I'll be looking for the next fad in six months or so.

(An aside: the classic 'buy a starter box and then be done' game was Confrontation. There's a reason the parent company had to go through bankruptcy. Both games stores and mini manufacturers need to sell additional models, or a game is simply unprofitable to both.)

So, when talking to store owners about the game:

It's the kiss of death to promote it as "a cheap game where I won't spend much money at your store". If you speak about low cost of entry at all, frame it as "easy to get players to start, but they will soon want to get additional models given the right kind of events". Remember, if you aren't willing to invest in the game, why should the store owner?

Offer to do some of the heavy lifting. Often store owners have the most difficult time with terrain. Make or build something, or buy a few pieces of western buildings and donate to the store. Write up the description of a beginning event. Donate an evening to do demos. Again, if promoting the game isn't worth any of your time or effort, why should the store owner think it's worth theirs?

Well, I've probably spent at least 200-300 dollars in models so far and I've only got two crews. I would not say that it's a cheap game necessarily. Sure you can get into a game cheap, but it's super easy to spend a lot of money.

I know I have spent that much if not more on crews as well as supplies to build terrain,all of that and I have yet to play a game.

Yeah, I don't even count the money I spend on terrain, etc. I started playing Warhammer 40k in the Rogue Trader days, and I've spent WAY too much money on that game.

I did manage to play two games of Malifaux yesterday at a friends house. We are still working through some of the rules but it was pretty evenly match (we both won one game). Of course, with 30 points per side, it was still taking us about 4-5 hours to get through a game.

Just to bounce an idea out there.

Have you considered not going with the gaming store? If you are worried about people coming to your house, is it feesable to find a middle ground? By this I mean go to a local park. That gives the kids some time to play around, and its a reasonably safe area. Malifaux is pretty comfortable when it comes up to playing area, and with spring coming up it might be nice to get some air.

You can cheat using your nicer terrain by getting some bangers. I recommend bird houses for buildings. They make some wonderful western buildings and it will cost you very little. Also people might be curious, so there is the possibility of attracting new people into the hobby. If you can't get people out of there old habits of 40k or warmachine then dont.

I haven't tried this myself so it could be a terrible idea. I know many gamers aren't to fond of sun or parks but figured it was an idea.

I prefer playing at home.I think if you can meet at a store or some "neutral" ground,you can kind of feel a person out and see if they would be ok to bring into your home.Sounds like I'm bringing home a stray dog.

I always thought a good idea would be a player owned place that was just for gaming,no selling.If one could just organise gamers it could work.But,we know how unreliable a lot of gamers are.Plus the logistics of it could be a nightmare.

I can see that. You have to be somewhat immune to influance (I kill me) to pull that one off. However, there is always a group fighting or larping in a local park somewhere so if you need to distract public opinion away from you then that might be a shot. I completely understand what you are saying though. It is a somewhat difficult issue but at some point hopefully you will find the right fit.

Gah! Chev are you lazy? Gah at home! :) I am only kidding I am with you on the home thing. It is less headache most days. I have an active lgs and even then have a hard time getting down there most days. Unfortunately that is the biggest neutral ground that we have. Other options are a bit limited.

I think the best case might be if a local business had unused space in the back. Then they can let you use the space for free or a small fee depending on how nice they are. The only real option I can see in light of a gameing store that is tyranical with there gaming space.

On the other hand you don't just have to get into playing right away there is always your local small resturant where you can get together and chat about malifaux. Depending on your or their passion about the game you can get a feel for if they are a good fit for home gaming.

Just a thought though.

It would be a bit of a drive for me, but I could make it down to Dallas area once in a while to get some gaming in. I would make the trip for tournaments, if I can swing the free time, and I may be able to bring a few friends with me.

I just don't know what the interest is in it right now down here.I would hate for you to be disapointed.You probably have more playing there than we do here.