Looking for advice on getting started

Paladin01

Good day fellow Wyrdians.

As the subject says, I'm looking for some advice on getting started.

I like most of the figures and love the genre, er.. genres?

Anyhow, I'd like to get set up with 2 fun starter forces to play against each other.

I don't want to spend a lot, but the $'s outlay for Malifaux seems pretty reasonable compared to most other games (good day GW and PP! =p )

I'd like to get 2 forces that would be fun to play against each other and get a good feel for the game (and setting), but still keep the learning curve simple and things balanced.

This way I can play with my friends, teach them the game easily and not be overwhelmed by some of the trickier parts but show off how great the game is. ;-)

I'll list the forces, boxes, figs, etc. I like the most (pretty much everything is cool, funny or interesting though.)

Do any of the boxes come with @30 stones worth of stuff? I don't know that I've seen anything comparing them. (But I guess the Som'er Teeth box has less than the others?)

I don't have the Rulebook yet, the LFGS said their distributor hasn't picked it up yet, so I am ordering on-line and I'd like to get it all figured out so I can get the book, a couple decks and the figs all at once.

Ok so on to the stuff I like (the most):

Particular Favorites include-

- Viktorias (I also like Rusty Alice and Misaki Warmaiden, the Gunslinger Merc is not bad either.)

- Lady Justice and the Death Marshals

- Ortega Gunslingers

- Seamus and the Red Chapel Gang

I like Rasputina and Cult of December, but they seem maybe like something to get later and expand on? (And I guess she is more of a finesse piece? Cute figs though!)

In fact, all of the Arcanists seem like things I think my friends would like and maybe would want to pick up for themselves. (Hopefully, hehe) ;-)

But I do like both the Order of the Chimera and the Steamfitters sets also.

I'm not interested in the Neverborn. I mean I think they're great, I'd love to play against them, but they're not a theme I think I'd want for myself.

Well except the Legion of Sorrow. I mean Pandora and a couple of creepy kids? Too cool!

Nicodem and the Undertakers Lot would be ok, depending on if they need a lot more stuff to flesh them out, so to speak.

Anyhow Like I said, I'd like to get a couple well balanced, fun starters, as close to whatever a 'normal sized game' is (30 stones?)

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

~Cheers!

Edited by Paladin01

Excellent, that works out really well since I like both of them a lot.

So they are about 20 SS each then, and I am correct that average game size is 30 SS?

If so, what figs would be good to take both of those to 30?

(This way I can get both sets filled out all on one order :D)

Thanks for your help!

As I've heard it, 30-35 is the "usual" game size once you've gotten familiar with the rules using the starter boxes.

For LJ, adding an Executioner adds to her anti-undead theme and will leave stones free for your pool or to bring a totem. Both the Scales and the Governor's Proxy are strong totems for LJ.

As for Sheamus, there are several good models you can add. In faction, both Bete Noire or The Hanged make great additions. If you're not adverse to Outcasts, my personal favorite is Hamelin who, like the Hanged, adds more push-pull-control goodness to the crew.

Cool, thanks for the tips.

Just to push things a little further, I've been digging deeper into the forum links, looking more into the Factions, etc.

Would Lillith and her boxed Brood be a good match up with Lady J and the Judges?

Reading comments about her, it looks like she is a pretty easy one to get a handle on(?)

Thanks!

Yeah, they'd be a nice pairing. The anti-undead boosts that the LJ crew has won't be much use, but in a head to head, they're still going to have a fun game.

No Sonnia love? Witchling Stalkers are one of the premier 4 SS models in the game. Sonnia's a Swiss Army knife master, too. Definitely a nice all around crew.

I definitely recommend (in no particular order)

Seamus

any Guild starter

Nicodem

Lilith

Ramos

Viktorias

Ramos really needs a few extra swarms or single spiders to take advantage of what he can do, so he might not be what you want for one of your first two crews.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the boxes. Picking a box just for the models you like the most won't leave you out in the cold.

You're also not necessarily looking to entirely max out on models to get you to the 30 SS game size. Leaving stones unspent means there are more for your Master to use.