Crooked Men (and their potential w/ Seamus)

Persevering1

I've noticed very little attention in our conversations to Crooked Men, which I find somewhat odd. Anyone have any experiences with these figs worth reporting?

I am interested in them because of their possible synergy with the Redchapel Crew. I'm really starting to consider Seamus & Co. more of a ranged attack group. With Seamus's Flintlock, Sybelle's Shriek, and the Belles using Lure to push targets out of cover and into the line of fire, I am starting to have a really good feeling about this tactic.

However, the group does need additional firepower. At first, I went with the Hanged, thinking that with those figs I am getting great ranged attacks, additional push with "Hangedman's Knot", and more Terrifying stuff. Seemed great.

Unfortunately, the Hanged are expensive and die easy. Sure, the goal is to float them into impassable terrain, but their movement makes doing that and getting a shot off difficult.

So, I am now looking at the Crooked Men, who are a lot cheaper, but also have a great ranged attack spell in "Cave-In". Plus, "Shafted" can build a bulwark that keeps my Belles safe from opposing charges.

One concern might be the lack of heavy-hitters. This is why I am using the Grave Spirit linked to Sybelle. That helps tank. While more ranged would seem better, the Copycat Killer simply does not hit often enough to be worth giving up turning Sybelle into a reliable tank.

Presently, the list at 30SS might be:

Seamus

Grave Spirit (1SS)

Sybelle (6SS)

x3 Crooked Men (12SS)

x2 Belles (8SS)

3 Soulstones for pool (3SS)

Any thoughts about all this? Mainly the Crooked Men themselves, but I am interested in overall opinions of this concept. I think it might really work well; please let me know what you think, too!

Edited by Persevering1

Sadly, I see that "Cave-In" is now Resisted with Df. With a Casting of only 4, does this make the Crooked Men unhelpful except in narrow or occasional circumstances?

While I still like the "Shafted" spell, and their reach of 2" for melee is nice, I can't seem to shake the notion that Punk Zombies are simply better.

If swap out the above three Crooked Men for three Punk Zombies (making up the difference by sacking my three SS leftovers), then I have strong melee potential... and retain the option for ranged damage via "Self-Mutilate". Granted, not as impressive as "Cave-In", but then I am getting a solid melee force with the option of ranged threat.

If I go this route, I think I would drop the Grave Spirit for an additional SS, resulting in the following list at 30SS:

Seamus

Madame Sybelle (6SS)

x3 Punk Zombies (15SS)

x2 Rotten Belles (8SS)

1 SS leftover for SS Pool (1)

What do you all think? Still would like some feedback on the Crooked Men, if available.

Shafted is a range attack, and also there is no resistance to the marker. I think it better then some other ranged attack but worse then other. I'm not a huge fan of the punk zombie. that is the model I plan on using if Wyrd doesn't release one or have one released for a while.

Shafted is not a ranged attack.

I believe you are confusing it with Cave In which is a Ranged Attack which has a Rst of Df. (See the errata link in my sig)

Edited by WEiRD sKeTCH

I think the zombie punk are over played. They are good game play wise but just seem boing to me. Tactical they are one dimentional. I see crooked men as much more flexible and fun.

Shaft is a ranged attack per say, but allows you to put further away then next to him to give the ability some range. It niether really melee nor ranged. However, I see it as a range type attack.

The Punk Zombie is more than just a melee threat. Thanks to Self Mutilate, you can put wounds on models that are kiting away from you, and if you have access to any kind of healing [Decay/Surgeon/Master Surgeon/Surgery], you can recover that damage fairly decently. And if he gets into melee, and is about to go down, don't forget Slice and Dice does 3 wounds directly [ignoring ARM, etc], so while he may seem... plain... he does have more tactical flexibility that can be overlooked.

• 1 month later...