Tactica: Lady Justice

Scorpio

Step 1: Point big sword at enemy.

Step 2: Slice and dice enemy.

Step 3: Profit!

But seriously, let's talk tactics for the master that everyone says is one of the more straightforward masters in the game.

Off the bat, yes, she can shoot, but this seems like a last resort to me. Isn't it almost always better to get her closer?

The Death Marshals represent a good flanking threat, as well. Even if they can't take out an enemy, they might be able to get lucky and Pine Box one. Even if it only lasts a turn, that's a big advantage you can exploit. And anyone running from those coffins is likely to get shot in the back.

Last game I played I found Taelor to be an inexpensive melee threat. That hammer charge only has to hit once to be given respect for the rest of the game. And unlike the Marshals, she's not afraid of Rattlers or other native critters. Anyone else have any experience with good Mercenaries to bring along.

I'll eventually be picking up some Witchling Stalkers to really maximize the meat grinding. A new meaning to 'level the playing field.' They run in, they may explode, but that leaves the good Lady to clean up.

Give us more ideas!

I've found Lady Justice to be one of the hardest hitting masters in the game. She isn't the fastest model walking, but she has a 10 inch threat range on the charge. Her combat value of 7 combined with a free ram suite makes for accurate attacks that hit for a bare minimum of 4 damage a piece.

Make sure to always cast Sword Style before you start swinging with her greatsword. For the harder to hit modles, I like to use fate for added accuracy, and Vengeance against easy to hit models with lots of wounds or armor. I think Onslaught is rather random and usually the worst choice in terms of efficiency, unless of course you are holding alot of masks in your hand... then it just gets nasty.

I always try to time her charges to happen at the beginning of a round unless it would put her in danger of a serious counter charge/attack. Adding +2 CB to most of your force is an incredibly powerful effect and should not be overlooked. Combine this with her Combat Prowess spell on your melee models, and watch as your oppenent is crushed in an onslaught of melee fury.

The only real downside to Lady Justice is her mediocre defense stat of 5. Though she does have a nice trigger that goes off of it, it is rather situational and requires a mask. Lady Justice is also extremely weak at range, and if you are up against a foe that can keep Lady Justice at bay, you are in for an uphill battle. I usually like to keep 5-7 Soul Stones for her personal use, and I generally use them to keep her alive, as her low Defense and in your face approach puts her in the line of fire quite often.

As for what I like to include in her force...

I've found that Francisco Ortega is a cheap and effective addition to a Lady Justice crew. With his flurry, excelent CB of 7, he fits nicely with LJ. Add Combat prowess to him with LJ, and he can put out an impressive 4 attacks a turn with flurry, and he does a minimum of 3 damage with his sword + crit strike... so even with minimal hits he can still crank out 12 damage minimum (assuming he hits with all the attacks). At only 5 SS I believe he is a very good choice for a LJ force.

The Executioner I haven't personally played with but he seems solid for a LJ force, and he is rather survivable with his love the job ability. The executioner puts out solid damage, but his low defense and 7 SS cost makes me hesitant to make him a normal addition.

The Death Marshals are a steal for 4 SS a piece. In my opinion they are better suited sitting back at range and acting as mid range support as the heavier hitting melee models bring the pain up close. But the versatile marshals can still bring some pain in melee, and have the option of using Pine Box. This is an incredibly powerfull spell if used correctly. I tend only use it against low WP models, and try to time it towards the end of a game round so my opponents control hand is low, making it easier to pull off.

The Scales of Justice I have not used (model hasn't been released yet after all) but I think this totem is a great addtion. It's Balance ability is great for making your hand better for a (0) action, and it's Tip the Scales is great for helping to take out a high Defense model.

The Judge is a decent choice, as he has a wide variety of options to deal with most situations he is put up against. Add in LJ's combat prowess to him, and he can crank out 4 melee attacks a turn like Francisco.

I believe if you are looking for a great ranged support model for a LJ force, Samael Hopkins fills the roll. Sameal has the ability to lay waste to anything within 10 inches. Flaming Bullets puts his minimum damage for his Colt .45 at 5 damage, to a max of 7 damage. Add in Rapid Fire and Ricochet, and you have some models that are going to be seriously hurt and more than likely dead. He isn't a slouch in melee either, and LJ can always make him better with combat prowess (seing a theme here?)

Witchling Stalkers are also a good and cheap addition to a LJ force. They have scout, anti magic abilities, and have an above average melee attack. Add in they explode upon death (hopefully while they are in melee with whatever killed them) and you have a great 4 SS addition to your force.

The last guild minion that sticks out in my mind is Santiago Ortega for LJ. He is another solid ranged minion to help weaken the enemy before the melee monsters crash home. Santiago is extremely durable, being hard to kill and having a spell that lets him heal, plus the ability to cancel effects on himself. Once Santiago hits half health or lower, he turns into a killing machine. Rapid fire, is that all you got?!, trigger happy, and crit stike, plus a free move to try to escape melee or get into range, and your opponent will be riddled full of holes.

As for Mercenaries for LJ, I think Taelor is a prime choice. Though she costs 9 SS for LJ to take, she hits like a freight train, and can take a beating in return. I also think Killjoy would fit perfectly in a LJ force (though I couldn't see it happening in story terms). Killjoy is probably one of the most durable and hard hitting models in the game. Combine the fact that he can pop out of one of your death marsals when they take their slow to die action, and you have an almost unstopable killing machine. The only downside to Killjoy, his 12 SS cost to field, almost half your SS alotment in a normal game.

• 1 year later...

As for Onslaught - we've been playing that if Onslaught is cast, Lady J gets to ALWAYS hit again no matter what she played for her Cb. Is that not right? Does she need to use a Mask in her Cb, damage the target, then she gets another strike?

My friend was killing me cuz after casting Onslaught, every hit turned into multiple hits!

Thanx for your help!!!

Now one of the most fun ways to speed up lady J is kind expensive it includes Lucius, and at a death marshal;

1st turn box lady justice, and run Lucius forward, (probs keeping behind cover)

2nd turn Lucius runs forward again keeping within 18inch of the death mashal. Then pulling the death mashal towards him with his 0 action (leaving him with a 1 spell for this turn)

activate the death marshal next and run him forward (meaning you have covered about 34" from your board edge

(this would get you in combat with the marshal or very close)

now you either unleash Lady J in the closing phase or wait untill they kill the marshal and she would pop up.

Also any other melee unit for guild would be able to rush forward this way.