FFII Concubine - now on Project Jester

Wren

I know I'm a bit late showing off my Femme Fatale entry, but here it is. I have donated it to http://www.projectjester.com, and was waiting until the auction went live to promote this worthy cause. So if you think you might like to own this piece, go put a bid on it and help Jester out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Painted-Hasslefree-Concubine-Female-Project-Jester_W0QQitemZ230104069264QQcategoryZ2537QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I selected this mini with the intention of donating it and so tried to choose something decently saleable, but the choice was no sacrifice as I love Hasslefree minis and Kev's generously sculpted female curves in particular. I really pushed myself with the skin, that portion of the mini took 7+ hours to paint from primer to final highlight. When I first started painting female skin, I primarily followed the Jenova method of establishing shadows with a glaze of a darker colour and then just highlighting up. Gradually I've been adding more and deeper shadows, and this is my most dramatic experiment with that as yet. I had just painted another mini with the same general skin recipe when I started this, and had added some olive green tones to the shadowing because I was concerned the peachy-pink tone was getting overpowering. With this one I used a lot more of the olive in the shading.

There were some questions on the base in the comments. Hopefully explaining it doesn't make it seem less impressive. ;-> The base is made from a papier mache clay I picked up at an art store. It's not useful for fine detail sculpting, but for base type stuff it's in many ways more convenient than GS. It's not sticky, it air dries, and you can add water to it during the sculpting process if it starts drying out too quickly. It's very light once dried, but also sandable. I sanded off at least 1/4 inch around the edges of this to line it up with the base. It is a little porous for the first coat or two of primer and paint, I sometimes coat it in 'ardcoat before priming and painting, but even without that it's a pretty sturdy surface after a few coats of paint.. I make tiles like this base with rubber stamps. The painting was a bit of work with it. I started out with stone grays and really didn't like it, so had to start over again with the creamy colour. The teals and pinks were added with light glazes.

conc-wyrd.jpg

Great! It's very nice and smooth, your blendnings are flawless. Skin still needs som more shading on some places but you are definately getting there. The hair could instead need some small brightspots.

I will definately watch the auction with interest.. But I on the other hand hope it sells so expensive so I can't afford it! :)