Iron Quill - Six - Family Ties

GrimNorth

Family Ties

“Did you ever truly love me?” She screamed, the violence in her voice cracking with rage. Leather straps bound her to the chair no matter how much she struggled. The man stood over her with a scalpel in his hand. He paced around her with urgency.

“Well?” She begged for an answer.

She received none from the man who ran a blood stained hand through his hair. Hastily he grabbed a syringe from the table looked up and down her body for a suitable entry point. Unceremoniously he jabbed it into her neck and plunged. She shrieked a terrible scream that spooked the gator in the metal tank across the room. The beast thrashed about and sloshed water over the edge and onto the concrete floor.

With a slapping sound that was more satisfying than it should be Dr. Malcom smacked his hand over her mouth. He put his finger to his lips, hand visibly shaking.

“Shh, you have to let me work…please be quiet” His voice was calm, contrary to his flustered demeanor. Tears of pain ran down her cheek onto his hand as she tried to shake her head under his firm grip. She just wanted it to be over.

“Don’t you want to let me work?” She shook her head again. “You have no choice I’m afraid” Wide eyed she bit deep into the palm of his hand. With a flash of pain he withdrew. She had never bitten him before and he was very disappointed in her, a disappointment that was hard to hide. She did not care, breathing deep she stared at him and licked his blood from her lips. Dr. Malcom outstretched his none-bitten hand and shouted.

“Anesthetic”

The command was received and understood as a monkey with a stitched-on beaver tail and over-sized human teeth jumped onto the doctor’s shoulder. It held a wrench in its paw.

“Thank-you Mr. Widdle” he clasped the wrench and swiftly bashed her round the face with it. Head low she fell unconscious.

“Finally. Now I can hear myself think” Mr. Widdle the monkey remained on his shoulder and straightened up his miniature waistcoat. The doctor handed the wrench back to his companion who grabbed it with both paws.

The water in the tank sloshed over the side again as the Gator pulled itself up at the edge, revealing its muscular, clawed arms covered in dripping wet fur. “Not now, Thomas” Dr. Malcom was not a patient man, least of all with his children. Thomas the Gator sank back to the depths, still smiling.

The Leg was bad. Now she was out he could inspect it properly, sticky and green with blue veins raised and throbbing. He caressed it, even though infected it still had her warmth. He ran his finger up towards her thigh.

You can’t save her.

“Yes I can, Mr. Widdle” He would show them, he would show all of them. Up on his feet and walking with purpose he slammed the door as he left the room.

---

A few steps and he was outside. The musty cabin smell gave way to the fresh air, which hit him and instantly began to re-focus the doctor’s mind. Catching his gaze the moon shone through the trees and onto his cabin.

How he had come to live in the woods was far beyond him now; only his disturbed dreams gave him glimpses into his life before. But what had gone before did not matter– he was going to make the best of what is. The moon was particularly beautiful tonight, he couldn’t remember a more beautiful one. Standing completely still he gazed upwards, wondering if anything gazed back. 

Mr. Widdle stood at the door and made a monkey noise that demanded the Doctor’s attention.

“What do you want, Mr. Widdle? I’m looking at the moon” The monkey clicked at him to get him to look over and then gestured to his leg. “Oh yes, of course” The doctor quickly dropped to the ground and searched the grass. He ran his hands through the moist earth leaving a trail of red and after a moment or two of searching he found what he was looking for fixed to the root of a rotting tree. Grabbing a handful of oozing mushrooms he dashed back inside, Mr. Widdle close behind. 

---

Mumbling she was still unconscious. The doctor burst through the door and grabbed hold of her. Tilting her head and pinching her nose the doctor thrust one of the mushrooms into her mouth. Gagging she awoke, swallowing half of the mushroom, the rest falling down her chin.

The doctor looked into her eyes which were beautiful as ever; one green and the other violet. He touched her cheek and playfully traced the stitched seam that ran from the edge of her mouth to her neck with his finger. A quivering smile played on his lips as he recalled making the stitches, it was definitely the best work he had done. She was the best one. Her eyes began to close again so he gave her a few little slaps to keep her conscious.

The leg looked no better; in fact it began to throb worse than before. Another shift of pain brought her back into the moment.

“What’s happening?” the quiver in her voice betrayed her fear.

“You are going to be fine, my sweet. Right as rain” He did not believe what he said, but tried to comfort her. He looked her up and down with genuine affection. Her clothes were the best he could find, once elegant and white, now soiled.

“I know about downstairs” She confessed. The words stuck in her gullet “I know about the others”

“Shh, there are no others” He told her for her own good.

“I wish” Her head lowered dozily “I wish I was the only one” Her voice died down to a whisper. Those were the last words she ever said. Her breathing slowed and she quietly drifted away. He touched her face, but she did not feel it. She was gone.

“No” Quietly he uttered. He grabbed a handful of her hair and clasped it, as if holding on would mean she could stay. Her head swayed lifelessly.

Anger built up and burst out “No!” Grabbing the infected leg that killed her he pulled it free at the stump with a sickly crack, stitching frayed as he launched it towards the water tank. The leg bounced off of the edge and plopped into the water. Thomas was straight onto it and began to rip off chunks of dead flesh with his teeth.

His fists relaxed. Dr. Malcom stood deathly still. With a solemn calm he undid the straps that bound her to the chair. Picking up her limp body he slung it over his shoulder and made his way downstairs,  Mr. Widdle scuttling behind him. When he got to the bottom he rested his head on the rusted door at the end of the stairwell. Using his free hand he unlocked the door.

---

He passed tables littered with parts; animal and human alike. At the head of the lab stood several human-sized cylinders filled with liquid. He walked past five of them, each occupied by woman shaped forms suspended and preserved. Each one was different and beautiful and silently awaited the new arrival. As he passed number three he stopped. A hodgepodge of limbs stitched into a pleasing female shape floated lifelessly, a wedding dress loosely clinging to it. Approaching the sixth cylinder he hoisted her onto his shoulder. With a heave and a splash she was inside. As the liquid settled she floated in the center.

She asked if he ever loved her. Looking into her mis-matched eyes he lay a finger on the glass leaving a bloody fingerprint. Of course he did.

A single tear rolled down his cheek.

He loved them all.

Edited by GrimNorth

I like the general vibe and feel.  The monstrous creations are cool.  I thought the ending was bang-on and very nice.  As a general comment, I felt like it was a bit choppy and could have used some editing for grammar and flow.  Good visuals and great concept, but could use a bit of polishing.