40 SS Tournament Battle Report

Rurouni Benshin

Hi everyone,

So I played in my first regular tournament today.  Didn't place, but I did learn a lot more about Leveticus and Misaki (as an Outcast Master).  The battle report I have for this tournament won't be as detailed as the one I did for the Henchmen Hardcore, due to it being twice in size, but it's riddled with all of the important details, as well as pictures this time (yay!)  I'll start off each round with my list, and the general list that my opponents played (minus their upgrades), and then go in turn to how things ended.

Round 1:  Turf War / Corner Deployment

My schemes:  Protect Territory (revealed), Frame for Murder

His schemes:  Protect Territory (revealed), Frame for Murder

My crew:

• Leveticus (Leader)
  • Upgrades: Pariah of Iron, From Ash
  • Joss
  • Upgrades: Tally Sheet
  • Ama No Zako (Frame for Murder)
  • Abomination
  • Abomination
  • Abomination
  • Hollow Waif
  • Hollow Waif

Opponent’s crew:

• Ramos (Leader)
  • Cassandra (Frame for Murder)
  • Mechanical Rider
  • Willie
  • Electric Creation

Turn 1:  As you could tell from my list, I went with summoning strategies for Leveticus. My first turn comprised of me using all of my Abominations hitting each other with Vile Reclamation to draw cards, and positioning themselves further up the board.  Used Joss to kill two of Abominations and created 4 scrap markers. Leveticus summons 3 more Abominations, who move further up the board, and Ama gets herself closer to the middle.  Leveticus summoned the 3rd Hollow Waif 6” from Ama No Zako, and the other two scatter about, somewhere within the vicinity of Ama and Joss. My opponent’s turn consisted of killing the Electrical Creation with Cassandra, and having Ramos summon 3 Steam Arachnids. He pushes them all closer to the center, along with Willie going further around the Turf War radius, and the Mechanical Rider going around the opposite direction, in more of a flanking position.

Turn 2: At this point is when combat starts happening.  Ama charged in first, and went after a Steam Arachnid, also getting off Miasma of Boils and Flies.  Ramos then summons another 2 Steam Arachnids, and shoots a couple times at Ama. I did a little bit of card drawing from the 3 fresh Abominations, and then having Joss punch another two, creating 4 more scrap markers.  In between all of that, the summoned Steam Arachnids attack Ama, followed by Cassandra charging her and killing her, which earned me full VP for Frame for Murder.  His Mechanical Rider moves around closer, but stays in the outskirts of the Turf War Marker.  Levi summons another 3 Abominations, and summons his 3rd Hollow Waif again, this time on top of a Ht 3 building nearby. Eventually, I manage to create the Desolation Engine, and move him up to melee range of Cassandra, and used his Desolate Supplications, trying to ping the Steam Arachnids, Cassandra, and Willie.  Attacked Cassandra and gained all the Wds back that I took, and then managed to kill both Arachnids because of Industrial Nightmare. However, since both of us didn’t have 2 models within range of Turf War, we both lose out on scoring.

Turn 3: Cassandra and The Desolation Engine take turns pummeling each other, but it’s the Desolation Engine that wins out in the end, earning him 2 points for Frame for Murder, and because of the Vile Supplications and Industrial Nightmare killing Willie, he was able to kill the Desolation Engine, as well with this final blast.  My 2 new Abominations pop up and are now in range of Turf War. Ramos summons 2 more Steam Arachnids, and then begins moving to drop scheme markers. Leveticus summons the last 2 Abominations, and manages to shoot 1 Arachnid before disappearing again. Joss finally starts making his way up the board, but then is met by the Mechanical Rider, who shoots at him, and then manages to summon his own Metal Gamin. One of my Abominations places a scheme marker, and I draw a card with the other one.

Turn 4: (Final turn of the round) His Mechanical Rider moves to drop his 2nd scheme marker for Protect Territory, which proves to the difference in the end. Leveticus manages to summon another Abomination in time for the Desolation Engine to come back, but unfortunately it’s not able to do enough damage before the round is called. I failed to get my 2nd scheme marker for Protect Territory.  We both failed to score for Turf War in this round, and I end up losing by a score of 7-6.

Round 2: Reckoning / Close Deployment

My schemes: Plant Evidence, Breakthrough

His schemes: Line in the Sand (Revealed), Breakthrough

My crew:

• Misaki (Leader)
  • Upgrades: Stalking Bisento, Scout the Field
  • Lazarus
  • Upgrades: Scout the Field
  • Student of Conflict
  • Killjoy
  • Freikorpsmann
  • Freikorpsmann

My opponent’s crew:

• McMourning (Leader)
  • Sebastian
  • Zombie Chihuahua
  • Flesh Construct
  • Canine Remains
  • Bête Noire
  • Nurse

Turn 1: I take my free walk actions with Lazarus and Misaki towards his Flesh Construct, Nurse, and Chihuahua, which are bunched together. I win initiative, and Rapid Fire into the Flesh Construct with Lazarus first. Managed to clip all 3 of them in one shot from the Grenade Launcher on the last hit, and softens them up considerably.  I run the 2 Freikorpsmann up one side of the board together behind a blocking wall, and my Student of Conflict manages to get on the other side of the same blocking wall, due to an entrance in the terrain. Misaki then “Stalks” the Flesh Construct and manages to charge him, landing her just behind it. I failed it kill it, despite all 3 of the attacks, but I did bring it to a single wound. Meanwhile, between my activations, he managed to move the Nurse away from the group (before Misaki got there). He then moves Sebastian and the Canine Remains up the other side of the board to get as close to my side as possible. McMourning eventually charges Misaki, and hits her for a few Wounds.

Turn 2: This was the turn that Misaki turned it up. Finally killed the Flesh Construct on two attacks, because of the Black Joker coming up once, but then managed to position myself next to the Nurse. “Stalked” her, and then took my last AP to attack and kill her, earning me my first and only Reckoning point of the game. He then summons Bête Noire after the Nurse dies, and Misaki takes her last push out of combat, towards Lazarus. Bête charges Misaki, and brings her down to a 1 Wd.  My Student of Conflict makes one of the Freikorpsmann “Fast”, but not before he gets his Chihuahua within range of all 3 of them, giving them all Poison +2.  The non-Fast Freikorpsmann takes it out, and the Fast one double moves up further through some terrain, and plants his first scheme marker.  McMourning manages to take out Misaki with a cast action that summons a new Flesh Construct, which also brings Killjoy out.  Killjoy attacks the new Flesh Construct, and brings it down to 4 Wds. Lazarus then attacks Bête, and manages to flip the Red Joker on damage. I move the 2 blast markers towards the Flesh Construct and Killjoy, and manage to kill the new Flesh Construct, along with the help of Killjoy’s Black Blood. He flips for Bête’s “One With The Night”, and makes it. Sebastian and the Canine Remains then lay down 2 scheme markers on the center line.

Turn 3: Killjoy charges McMourning, and deals considerable damage to him, but fails to kill him in a single activation. McMourning attacks Killjoy, and manages to damage him some in return. Student of Conflict makes the other Freikorpsmann “Fast”, and then he rushes up and drops another scheme marker after double moving. The other Freikorpsmann does the same, but in another direction. Lazarus rapid fired into Sebastian, and killed him before he had a chance to activate, and the Canine Remains plants the 3rd scheme marker for Line in the Sand.

Turn 4: (Final turn of the round) Killjoy activates and attacks McMourning, but fails to kill him. McMourning attacks, flipping the Red Joker on damage, and manages to kill Killjoy finally on his last AP, and healing all the damage he sustained.  Lazarus Rapid Fires into him, but doesn’t manage to kill him either.  My two Freikorpsmann drop another scheme marker each, and his Canine Remains is unable to drop it’s 4th scheme marker for Line in the Sand.  I win by a score of 6-1. In hindsight, I probably should’ve revealed my schemes, which would’ve earned me the last VP for one of them, but considering how fast I thought the turns were going, I thought I’d be able to get the 6th scheme marker in.

Round 3: Reconnoiter / Standard Deployment

My schemes: A Line in the Sand (revealed), Breakthrough (revealed)

His schemes: Break Through (revealed), Murder Protege

My crew:

• Leveticus (Leader)
  • Upgrades: Pariah of Iron, From Ash
  • Joss
  • Upgrades: Tally Sheet
  • Ama No Zako (Frame for Murder)
  • Abomination
  • Abomination
  • Abomination
  • Hollow Waif
  • Hollow Waif

Opponent’s crew:

• Somer (Leader)
  • Whiskey Golem
  • Gracie
  • Skeeter
  • Bayou Gremlin
  • Bayou Gremlin
  • Slop Hauler

Turn 1: I did the exact same thing I did in my first game with this list, and did my usual card drawing. Only difference was I failed to get my 5th card from Joss because I flipped Black Joker on damage for the second Abomination. Double moved Ama up to the center line, and had Leveticus summon 2 Abominations. He manages to kill one of my Abominations with Somer, and then moves both the Whiskey Golem and Gracie up the middle. His Bayou Gremlins spread out a bit, taking both of his own table quarters.

Turn 2: Leveticus summons 2 more Abominations, only to have 1 of them die to Somer again. I moved Ama closer towards Gracie and the Whiskey Golem, and activate Miasma of Boils and Flies, only to have killed by the both of them. Joss moves further up, and kills one of my Abominations to create more scrap markers. His Bayou Gremlins start moving around towards my quarter, but is unable to contest my left table quarter.

Turn 3: Leveticus summons another 2 Abominations, and takes a shot at Gracie before disappearing. Somer tries to kill them, but fails on all attempts. I finally manage to summon the Desolation Engine, and manage to damage Gracie with the combination of Vile Supplications and Industrial Nightmare as well.  The Whiskey Golem and Gracie are able to take out Joss together, and because of that, I fail to earn a point for Reconnoiter, and earning him 2 VP for Murder Protégé. His Bayou Gremlins make their way up to my half of the table and start dropping scheme markers now.

Turn 4: (Final turn of the round) Lost Leveticus and my last Abomination to Whiskey Golem and Somer ganging up on them, and wasn’t able to do much at this point. The Desolation was able to take out Gracie though. In the end, he won 8-1.

My Final Scores:

Total VP: 13

Tournament VP: 3

Total Differential: -3

My Final Thoughts:

The first two games were pretty good for me, despite losing one of them (even though it was by just a point). In the last game, I made some key tactical mistakes which really hurt me. One was not choosing to activate Joss when I had the chance to use him to attack the Whiskey Golem before Gracie came to finish him, and the other was not using Ama to do more scheme running. All in all, the game could’ve been much worse for me, and as I said before, had I gone with Ten Thunders, who I’m much more experienced with, I’d have probably fared.

Comments and list critiquing is welcome as always. Thanks for reading everyone! :D

Pictures from each round. They weren't taken in coherency with each other. I was a little too preoccupied with playing to take decent photos, but here they are nonetheless.

Round 1:

http://imgur.com/IXHDJH5

Round 2:

http://imgur.com/tEe3NEJ

Round 3:

http://imgur.com/Z4M8CVD