Guild + Soul Stones + Innocence (potential spoilers)

wizuriel

So I just got/read through Defense of Innocence and wondering how other Fate Masters are going to handle the Guild's reaction to te town? The Guild wants to control the Soul Stone market so I don't imagine they will let a city with what sounds like a big mine operate independently for long. 

My guess is that the Guild might allow independently owned mining operations, but even miners have to export their goods, and the Guild owns the only train in town.  So if they do allow for independent mines, they likely refuse to ship what came out of it, and they likely don't pay top dollar for the contents.  Then there's also the following sort of interaction:

Guild Rep:  We've received notice that you dug your own mine out in the Badlands.

Prospector:  Yup!  Imma gonna be richer than a skeeter at a blood bank!

Guild Rep:  Yes... Well the Guild would like to offer to buy your mining site from you.  Surely you would prefer to get paid now rather than spend all of your time breaking your back by digging holes.

Prospector:  NOPE!  This here is gonna be my legacy!

Guild Rep:  Are you sure?  Transporting those stones back to Malifaux could be... dangerous.  Surely you're worried about being ambushed alone by bandits?  There is a lot of empty space between here and the city.  Many opportunities to lose it all.

Some time later a nameless dead man is disposed of and the Guild announces a new mining operation.

The biggest problem I see from the Guild's perspective with independent SS mine's is even if they can't sell/export to earth, there a lot of people in Malifaux I imagine the Guild doesn't want to get soul stones (Resurrectionists and Arcanists). While I don't see them having the force to police all mines , I see them still trying to control everything. 

Think if/when I run this will have a heavier guild presence trying to influence the election. Though still not sure what they would do if that fails. Imagine trade sanctions and trying to get some of their own people/supporters in power (though guess that doesn't work depending how badly they need water).