Random mission generator?? Or story ideas

Chriscdoa

I've avoided taking the leap on the books yet because i still don't get what PCs do.

In say shadowrun there are clear missions and 5e has a random generator.

D&D is always easy to just create a dungeon or encounters or sandbox.

Leverage, Firefly and most savage worlds games have random adventure generators.

Would it be possible to have such a thing for TTB?

I know the GM is meant to use the fates but they dont always have enough to create a whole plot around.

Failing random gen, what different things are PCs meant to do?

There isnt enough world info to go exploring. There is a lack of monsters to go hunting. I'm left with solving basic crimes, which doesn't appeal to me or my players, or artifact hunts.

Help!

I'm not aware of any random generators currently, but with a little bit of elbow grease, archetypes you enjoy from the other systems could be carried over to this one. Using the Random Run Generator from Shadowrun 5e for example: Datasteal requires a LITTLE rewording, but I could easily see a Guild flavored or a Freikorps flavored campaign using those options. (If you're running a Guild party, then Datasteal becomes "I've been informed that the M&SU has been developing new automatons. See what they're up to.") Other than the Employer table, the other options are vague enough that you can adapt them easily.  

Using the models as a guide: Guild/M&SU is a solid "Authority VS Union" story to work with. Having the players work their way up through the ranks to become full fledged members of the Freikorps or another Bounty Hunting team (ala the Viks) would be an option. If they're interested in some intrigue, they could be a part of an infiltration team for the Ten Thunders.

Beyond that, the big sandboxes available to play in are Victorian England, Mystical Swamp, Wild West Town, Mountain Mining Camp, and The Railroad. Deadlands factions could be adapted easy-ish given the time frame when the Second Breach exists (just imagine one of the rail barons is now a high up in the Guild).