Fatemaster Tool: Mobs of Things

Malsqueek

Hey all, one thing that I'm sure many of you have noted is that our Fated have an infuriating capacity to kick out extremely high volumes of damage on a focused target. This can make it challenging to craft a good combat, as has been noted several places.

I took a note from one of my other favorite RPG's and worked out a similar concept for TTB, which should help allow for fights that are more objective centric.

Mobs of Things

The idea of Mobs is that there are piles of a thing that would be irritating on its own, but perhaps not outright dangerous. However, in a seething mass, they are significantly more concerning.

A Mob has four fundamental stats. Movement, Wounds (how many hits it can take before it dies. No crits here), Defense (TN to hit), and Attack (TN to Dodge). A Mob takes up an area of space, and can engage anything that it touches. It has a single move action, and then automatically hits anything it is touching. It is relatively mindless (yes, even a horde of villagers), and as a result is not affected at all by anything that requires sentience. Anything that defends on Wp, but would affect a mindless thing uses its Df value instead.

Dealing damage to a Mob: Mobs take damage differently than normal creatures. They are a mass of things together, so it is more about how well you hit, rather than how hard. A Mob of Things will take 1 Wound for each successful attack, and an additional wound for every full margin of success that an attack succeeds by. Succeed by 6? That's 2 wounds, kids.

Taking Damage from a Mob: Mobs automatically attack anything they are touching. They will deal 1 point of damage, plus one for every margin of failure on the Defense flip that cannot be reduced.

Mobs will suffer 1 additional wound for every blast marker an attack inflicts upon them.

As a generality, Defense and Attack TN can be pretty well similar (9-12 are good values) and should be related to how nasty the things are in general. 7 for rats, 13 for villagers for example. Wounds should be a multiple of this number, and related to the size of the mob.

I like these for encounters where you are looking to apply pressure to a task which has to occur WHILE you are fighting, and to help mitigate those particularly nasty min/max combat characters and allow your less combat oriented to shine a bit.