LoS issue

Csonti

Question

Answering to a previous question I flipped through the LoS and cover rules and found a disturbing thing. Here is my beautiful Paint job to illustrate the issue:

post-2804-13911931754423_thumb.jpg

A targets B with a :ranged attack. Does B benefit from soft cover?

I played all my games with a firm yes on this but the rules don't seem to agree with me on this so clearly.

Page 41:

A model will gain the benefits of cover from a projectile attack when any LoS line between the attacking model and the target model can be drawn through any terrain that is within 1" of the target model.

So if LoS lines are blocked by model bases, the red lines drawn as examples are the only possible type of solutions to draw LoS lines. And those are not crossing any soft cover terrain therefore model B should not get the cover benefits.

However on page 40 we can read:

A model has No LoS to a target model if no LoS line can be drawn between the acting model and the target model without crossing blocking terrain or the base of another model (friendly or enemy).

A highlighted the word another because this is an addition in the print version compared to the last open beta document. And this one word maybe allows soft cover to work the way I thought it should work.

As far as i can see, this modification allows the drawing of LoS lines like the blue one below.

post-2804-13911931754627_thumb.jpg

And this one fulfills the requirements of getting cover with model B.

Any thoughts on this? I'm a little uneasy with my interpretation.