Anti-Archanists?

Primarch

I had a question about Guild basically, but it pertains to Archanists.

If the Guild has an Anti- version of everything else, and their stuff is specific to defeating other masters, why doesn't everyone have something like that? If they do, is it just unspoken/unwritten?

I mean is Collette the anti- of something, Marcus another, and so on?

Feedback?

Clay

Well if they have an answer for everything, wouldn't they be the obvious choice as the best faction?

We could debate endlessly on which faction is best (because we all know in our hearts that it's Ressers), but the reality of it is that you should pick a faction you have fun playing. Whether it's playstyle, aesthetics, or whatever no one else is playing. If something you pick isn't working, proxy some models and try other stuff out. As much as I LOVE Nicodem I find I have more fun playing McMourning (though I still use Nico from time to time).

Well if they have an answer for everything, wouldn't they be the obvious choice as the best faction?

There are a few problems

1) You can't plan for everything. Just because you are going against Ressers doesn't mean you are going to go against a lot of Undead(they could be spirits), or Ressers who don't use a lot of corpse counters(such as McMourning or Seamus)

2) Guild doesn't have tools for everything.

3) Guild has a major mobility issue and moving fast is probably one of the most needed abilities in Malifaux. Which is why Neverborn, Colette and Marcus can do so well at objective grabbing and winning

Also the current standings in Dead Heat seem to debunk Guild is best mindset. Its generally something newer players decide. Once you get more experienced at the game you start to find that Guild has just as many flaws(maybe a few more) then a lot of other factions.

Ok, didn't mean to start a faction war. What I really wanted, since I'm pretty new to Malifaux, is maybe a list of that stuff for Archanists? I mean is Ramos the anti- version of something?

That kind of thing, and it may just be opinion, but that's ok. Thoughts?

Clay

In-character trumpeting aside, because that's hilarious but distracting from your real question, the "best" faction is the one you enjoy playing the most often. I tend to find that most folks trend towards playing two factions (I play Outcast and Guild, for example) for various reasons, but mostly because they all play differently.

To make your faction of choice the best faction for you, play the heck out of it. Learn which masters work for which strategies and opponents. Some are faster than others, some are more combat-focused, some are more mobile. If you really want to dive into the meat of how your masters play, hit up the Pull My Finger wiki at http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/ as it's a great resource.

Yeah, I've only chosen my masters based on who I like, so that's not an issue. What I meant was, do the Archanists have some anti-other faction masters skill wise?

I mean, say you were playing against Seamus, which master would be best to take from the Archanists? McMourning? Or is there a general Anti-Resser setup? What about Guild, who would you take? Neverborn?

That is the kind of thing I should have posted in the first post.

Clay

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Ahh...ok, thats what I wanted to know.

Thanks,

Clay

What others have said. Arcanists(and most other factions) are less anti-something and more "good at something". Ramos makes cool spiders and blows them up. Then he goes Avatar and beats your face in.

Colette is the movement Queen.

Marcus is very versatile given his beast selection.

Yeah, I've only chosen my masters based on who I like, so that's not an issue. What I meant was, do the Archanists have some anti-other faction masters skill wise?

I mean, say you were playing against Seamus, which master would be best to take from the Archanists? McMourning? Or is there a general Anti-Resser setup? What about Guild, who would you take? Neverborn?

That is the kind of thing I should have posted in the first post.

Clay

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Ahh...ok, thats what I wanted to know.

Thanks,

Clay

Nilus sums it up. The Guild's theme/flavor is being pitted against factions (mostly book one). Arcanists have a magic heavy theme, which is really cool :-) There isn't a theme of "master 'x' is good vs. faction 'y'" for Arcanists though. I may be speaking a little redundantly here.