Wendigo v. Essence?

swingjunkie

This is what I want to see constructively debated. EoP or Arcane effigy?

I think what this comes down to is: do you want any other Special Forces models? Right now, its a relatively tough question (Kaeris and the Gunsmiths are really, really nice,) and it's only likely to get more difficult as more releases (and possibly new Special Forces) come out.

While I like the additional blasting power that the Arcane Effigy offers (an extra spell from Rasputina is not at all trivial,) I think overall the additional flexibility of being able to access other Special Forces models is more useful for her crew, because she normally suffers from being one dimensional. Tossing in Kaeris and a Gunsmith or two allows you to maintain that same long ranged power presence, but you're also gaining models that have some other tricks and maneuverability.

YMMV, of course. :)

I think what this comes down to is: do you want any other Special Forces models? Right now, its a relatively tough question (Kaeris and the Gunsmiths are really, really nice,) and it's only likely to get more difficult as more releases (and possibly new Special Forces) come out.

While I like the additional blasting power that the Arcane Effigy offers (an extra spell from Rasputina is not at all trivial,) I think overall the additional flexibility of being able to access other Special Forces models is more useful for her crew, because she normally suffers from being one dimensional. Tossing in Kaeris and a Gunsmith or two allows you to maintain that same long ranged power presence, but you're also gaining models that have some other tricks and maneuverability.

YMMV, of course. :)

Well said, does your oppinion change if you are planning on bringing her avatar?

Ok so going to fill some gaps with nephlumps. I agree with everything he stated but let's go further. Arcane effigy best offers are:

arcane resevoir, which Raspy has.

Awesome gun, but range 6".

Awesome attack spell but range 6".

Gives extra cast, great to allow Raspy to shoot two channeled spells to hit those nasty targets in cover.

Also effigy is pretty tough against other magic users, and is great to bounce a spell off since it will take 3 less wounds.

Effigies can't remember if significant but if ate big point on this.

Last effigy doesn't go away when Raspy dies.

Now what might I lose, a totem and special force. Ep, wendigo and student of conflict are my three choices. Student does fast and can give it to any part of my crew that is better than effigy's. I would take utility everytime. Arcane resevior Raspy already has. Range 6" guns and spells not so much of threat, our gunsmiths are and would not be able to be hired with effigy. Effigy is not so great in fray so not likely to shoot him.

Is it worth it mostly no in my opinion. Because its biggest selling point student does better. And only other major selling point is arcane resevior, which she already has.

With avatar I'm not sure though. That one is maybe.

Well said, does your oppinion change if you are planning on bringing her avatar?

Damn good question.

Short version: My gut says: "no", but it could be a good redundant way to buffer you if you don't end up Manifesting. I still think it's overall better to go with the Essence, and have a more flexible list.

Long version: The main reason to bring the Effigy is, for me at least, that it'll be something I'll find useful in normal and Avatar form.

For Rasputina, it's not a bad thing to have in her normal form, but as I mentioned before I think the access to other Special Forces combined with the damage boost from the Essence of Power is more beneficial.

In Avatar form, I don't really see what use another casting action is going to be for her, as her two available (1) action spells are so-so to begin with. Getting another one of those per activation would be nice, but I don't think it's going to be what changes the game for you.

Moreover, I think you could do just as well coughing up the SS cost of the Totem anyways, and just letting it be removed from the game when/if you Manifest. Rasputina's Avatar isn't one of the "should run straight towards Manifesting" ones, so in the (I think likely) situation where you don't want to Manifest with her, you can still enjoy the benefits of her Totem. If you end up losing it when you Manifest, it's only 2 SS; half the cost of the Effigy, and you're still able to build flexible lists and gain the :+fate to spell damage.

Another way to look at it: Totem + Avatar = 4 SS. Effigy + Avatar = 6 SS. It's overall cheaper to go with the Totem and the Avatar, and eat the 2 SS cost if you end up Manifesting, for a stronger overall list and better early/mid game performance. Plus, if you don't Manifest, you're still able to kick out spell damage like nobody's business, so it's psychologically easier to hold out on Manifesting if it ends up being a poor tactical choice that game.