Gaining ground question

thatnicguy

Question

We just had a tourn announced recently here and I just got my hands on the players pack, im really looking forward to the tourn and will play regardless but I just wanted to get an opinion or explanation. According to the players pack TO (organizer) flips faction strats each round, same faction platying same plays shared strat, Vps from each game are totaled for overall score. Now the question doest someone playing with individual strat and two schemes have a greater potential vp score than someone playing shared? Two people individual strats could get an 8 point draw, two guys with shared couldnt? Best they could get is 6 each yes? Essentially one player can get the max at the cost of the other? I'm thinking in terms of one person getting shared for every game vs someone getting all individual, seems much easier to get your own Vps in an 85 min game than fight for them with the other player?

2 answers to this question

Ok Nic I am going to bite on this one since I am running the tournament. I did tweak the Strategy selection ever so slightly where I will be the one flipping the strategies for each faction at the beginning of each round (from the core strategies) instead of the individual players and if you either are playing the same faction or have the same strategy flipped you play the shared version of it.

My reasoning behind this was to help speed up the pregame sequence so people could have the full 85 minutes to play your game. I have added an additional 5 minutes where schemes are chosen and you deploy your crews, taking each round to 90 minutes.

The chances of playing a shared strategy are only slightly higher than a standard game and I think by choosing a domination format style tournament it shouldnt impact on the results. All you need to concentrate on is getting at least 1 more VP than your opponent and you get 3 Tournament points which are the main determining factor for winning overall, followed by VP difference then total VP scored. As VP scored is the second countback method I dont think you would be at a disadvantage if you played shared strategies each round.

Two other things that I am doing which will be different to how Massaen ran his earlier in the year is that for the first round same faction matchups are going to be avoided (as much as possible) and from then on matchups will be between players on similar points, so it should make for better gameplay for all.

If theres anything else you have questions or concerns about by all means ask, I'm trying to run the best tourney I can and while I know what I like, others may feel differently. I'm all for new ideas and constantly looking for ways to improve. :D

ahhh so i was wrong on two counts! i should have checked against the gaining ground download. Just bad reading on my part that i thought vp total was going to be used as overall score, that really fixes the issue right there. I guestimated with five factions (and some being more popular the others) that the chance of shared would be higher but being able to control round one over a 3 or 4 event really makes a big dent in those odds. my forum etiqutte's pretty poor, i should have hit you up directly ;) looking forward to tourn, will be in touch for a ticket as soon as i remember ;)