Using Baby Kade and Candy with The Dreamer.

Gyrfalcon

Hello all.

New to Malifaux and ordered The Dreamer box set, plus Teddy, Daydreams, Baby Kade and Candy.

According to the tactica I've looked at, The Dreamer is designed to syergise well with Nightmares, but not necessarily Baby Kade and Candy. Anyone have any tips on if and how this creepy little pair can be most effectively used with The Dreamer?

Cheers :)

Edited by Gyrfalcon

Firstly can I just say I love the idea of all the Neverborn children ganging up together.

I don't have my book 1 handy so can't be too productive on tips. As far as I recall though, Kade has some synergy with Teddy, who is a Nightmare, so that is something to look at.

I can't remember if Teddy gets called to Kade or the other way around. I hope it's Kade to Teddy as that would be more advantageous for you, but I don't think it is.

As for Candy, no direct synergy but a nice support model all the same.

This is showing me just how long it has been since I used either of them, will have to rectify that.

Thanks Chucklemonkey, I'll have a look at Teddy/Baby Kade synergy.

Glad you like the idea. It's a kind of :censored:ed-up nightmare sleepover! :evil: Gonna scratchbuild some nightmare kids furniture scenery. The general idea is, if it can be dreamed it can be scenery. :D

Baby Kade can switch places with a friendly teddy within 15", although for 2 action points. Candy is more Pandora's protegee. Wouldn't be ineffective with the Dreamer, but you wouldn't be getting her full potential.
Thanks. Ok, the place switch could be useful. Maybe Candy's just there for the theme!

PS: I like your Pan's Labyrinth avatar. Did you draw it?

PPS: Can I change the font size on this forum? It's tiny!

Edited by Gyrfalcon

• 3 weeks later...

The Dreamer makes Teddy a nightmare but also removes rare, so Kade can shuffle them all around. You can link a Sorrow to the Teddy or Kade not sure which so when Kade and Teddy switch there is a Sorrow there for Kade's Martyr. This and Harmless should help keep him alive.

Also the twins and Insidious Madness have synergy with Kade and Candy because they are Woes and they have synergy with the Dreamer because they are Nightmares.

Something I was thinking about is that while it would be extremely cool fluff wise to see Baby Kade with Teddy and the Dreamer, it's not very practical play wise (in my opinion anyway).

First of all, Dreamer can get Teddy to wherever he wants him to be, so there won't be any need to have Teddy switch places with Kade. For 1 more SS you can take a Lelu or for 3 more you can take a 2nd Teddy or a Coppelius, all 3 of which can be buried/unburied at will.

As far as protecting Teddy goes, Dreamer can take him off the board entirely, much safer than 15" away from Kade.

Finally, Kade will be the odd man out. While the rest of your crew rides first class aboard Dreamer Air, Kade will hoof it to the fight, very likely getting shot at/have spells slung at him since he'll likely be the only target other than Dreamer and some Daydreams. Of course this could lend to an element of surprise if your opponent ignores him and he slowly creeps up with his knife ala Tonberry from Final Fantasy series. But if you decide to switch him with Teddy, there's a good chance you won't be in range to bury Teddy, leaving him and Kade both sitting in the open.

I think its cool that someone plays a different style. Both Candy and Kade are pretty hearty with Harmless and Martyr. So, being alone or alone together for stretches isn't horribly bad, also I think its good to have someone with the Dreamer when he is all alone and their use Lure, Incite and Pacify really allows you to pick their battles to a great degree.

Also with Teddy, Kade can save one that is being pummeled. He has Unseen Assailant and Kids Got a Knife so he can require two morale duels before being attacked, and/or he can also Incite a crappy model or one that is out of attack range... either or both of which can help keep him healthy until you bring up a healthy Teddy or have Candy sweeten up the old one.

IMO its a cool concept that has a good bit trixyness to it that gives the Dreamer more depth and less predictability.