Derby UK Summer Starter League August/September 2014

Pierowmaniac

I'm going to be running a Starter/New player Friendly League over the course of August and September.
Starting Monday 18th August till Saturday 4th October.

Games can be played in two participating venues!
Derby Wargames Society - at the Royal British Legion in Allenton
http://derbywargamessociety.com/clubnights/ Web site is down so here is full address:

Royal British Legion
85 Chellaston Road,
Allenton,
Derby,
DE24 9AF

and also at

Galactic Models in Derby city centre
http://www.galacticmodels.co.uk/

Derby Wargames Society will host league games on Monday & Thursday evenings and Galactic models will host league games on a Saturday.

Running up to the league event, DerbyMalal will be hosting a Demo day on August 9th at Galactic models and I will be happy to arrange individual demos on any of the following evenings (at Derby wargames society) leading up to August:
Monday 21st July, Thursday 24th July, Monday 28th July and Thursday 31sy July.

For further information please contact me in this thread or on the clubs open facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DerbyWargamesSociety/

Players signed up:
Maria Wieland
Carl Brown
Stephen Fay
Leigh Buckett
Sunjeev Shukla
Will Lambert
Craig Bennett
Rob Smith
Timo Joy

James Begley

Joe Troman

Ian Bennett

Chris Blonde

PLEASE NOTE:
I will not be easily contactable on the first two weeks of August, (2nd August - 16th August) having very limited internet access.
I will try to review this thread and reply as and when the opportunity arrises, however please bear with me if it takes a number of days before I do reply during those dates.

Hi, I'm not exactly a new player, but I'd be interested, if there are not only beginners playing.

And the Facebook Group is a closed group?

Hi Maria

Yes I'm hoping we can probably get a few experienced players also (certainly some of the potential sign ups were experienced with 1.5 rules)

I thought the group was open, but your right. For now I've sent you a friend request and then Ill invite you.

Will

• Entry to the league is £3, which will be used for prize support, so the more players that join the bigger the prize fund J

• Duration of the league will be 6 full weeks – Starting Monday 18th August at Derby Wargames Society and finishing on Saturday 27th September at Galactic Models in Derby

• Model Pool: Each player will choose and play with one starter box [1] + one small box (small boxes usually contain 3 standard size models or 1 large model) on the first week of the league. One additional small box may be added to the player’s available pool of models each following week.

• Game Size: The 1st weeks games will be 30SS (soulstones) sized games and the game size will increase by 10SS every two weeks. Therefore the final two weeks will be played at 50SS

• Location/s: To qualify for the league, games are to be played at either Derby Wargames Society (DWS) or Galactic Models in Derby, during the dates specified.

• Changing Crews: At the start of weeks 3 and 4 players may opt to change Masters/Starter box (plus the additional small boxes) if they wish.

• Deployment in game: Each game to be played just using either standard deployment or corner deployment only.

Flip a card 1-7 = Standard, 8-13 or jokers = Corner. - Unless both players agree to flip as per the rulebook.

• Game scores: A game win will be worth 3 game points (GP), a draw 2 GP and a loss will be 1 GP. Players should also record and provide the league organiser with the actual in-game victory points scored, which will be used in the event of a tie situation at the end of the league.

• Players may play 1, 2 or 3 league games each week. If they play 2 or more games they will score, their best GP for the week +1 for each additional game. For example: Sam plays two games in the week and losses the first game to Sarah, later in the week he plays Andy and wins. Sam therefore scores 4 GP’s (game points) for the week, 3 for the win and +1 for the additional game he lost. If he played another game he would score an additional +1GP whatever the outcome of the game.

• Painting scores [2]: 1 Painting point (PP) is gained for every model painted between 1st July 2014 and 27th September 2014 and added to the player’s model pool [3]. An additional 1PP will be scored for playing games with no unpainted models during each league week. At the end of week 6 each player will cast 1 vote for the crew they think is the best painted, each of these votes will be worth 1PP (players will not allowed to vote for themselves).

• Players are encouraged to play against new opponents for each game where possible, and the player/s who play against the most number of different opponents in the league will receive additional raffle tickets (see prizes below)

• Handicap: New players (i.e. players with less than 3 games experience) will receive a GP handicap bonus for playing in the league. The handicap bonus = 3 points (GP) – ‘Number of previous games of Malifaux 2nd edition [4]’. For example Sarah has previously played 1 game so will gain an additional 2 GP (3 game points – 1 for the previous game)

• Prizes:

Raffle - For every 6 games played a player will receive 1 raffle ticket, additionally the player/s who play against the most number of different players will receive an additional raffle ticket. Depending on the number of participants a number of raffle prizes will be given out.

Most GP (game points) – the player with the most game points will win a prize.

Most PP (Painting points) – the player with the most game points will win a prize.

Notes from above

1. For players starting with the older metal starter sets, they may include an additional totem model within their model pool on the first week. This is because the old box sets did not include a totem model, whilst the new plastic sets do.
  2. Painting scores are only available to players who are starting a Malifaux crew from scratch. Any models painted prior to July 2014 will not be eligible for counting towards any painting scores.
  3. Players changing crews in weeks 3 and 4, lose painting points equal to the value of models swapped out from their model pool, but can obviously regain the points by painting new models.
  4. Players who have previously played the 1st edition game will receive handicap points.

Chuck me in too Will, can't guarantee my availability but at the very least gives people more options as I can nip down to Galactic.

Question: If using an old metal starter, would you allow an old metal totem blister for free as the new plastics now include them?

Chuck me in too Will, can't guarantee my availability but at the very least gives people more options as I can nip down to Galactic.

Question: If using an old metal starter, would you allow an old metal totem blister for free as the new plastics now include them?

Cool, no problem :)

Check note 1 in rules above ;)

A quick update as I'm going internet quite for a couple of weeks.

So far 10 players taking part with potential for more to sign up, especially with Malals Demo day on 9th August.

Masters/Crews so far:

Ophelia

2 x Victorias

Nicodem of Yan Lo

Jack Daw

Lilith

Collodi

Misaki

Seamus or McMourning

Molly

Would be cool to get some Guild or Arcanist participation who currently have no representation :)

• 3 weeks later...

First game got underway and 12 people signed up.

Awaiting first day at 2nd venue to see if we get any more players joining that I'm not aware off yet.

Also going to be using the DWS forum for more regular league updates:

http://derbywargamessociety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=469

1st post updated with current player list