Basing Candy

thebigdog

I've just had my Pandora starter box arrive in the post. I was intending to sculpt the bases with a 'victoria street' theme and pin the minis to the bases, however Candy's legs are very very thin,too thin to pin and because there's not much in the way of surface area on the feet, I'm concerned that superglue won't hold her once the base is built and painted. Has anyone had this problem or am I just stressing about nothing?

With a pin vise and some thin wire, you can actually pin just about anything, as there are those on the forum that have even been successful pinning spiders legs to bases.

It can be nerve racking though, granted, and if you are not used to pinning small parts you risk their destruction if you go in less than perpendicular.

Keep in mind, making cobblestone base inserts is not particularly hard by cutting them out of styrene card: cut the circle and then pencil in the cobblestone and carve them out with a razor or even a seam scraper.

If you do that, you can use Testor's, or anther plastic cement, to get the "plastic weld" bond than should be more than strong enough.

And as far as CA (super glue), its bond mat be likely stronger than the tiny legs that would break before the glue would, especially if you use Zap A Gap +, or some other CA that has additives to make it less brittle.

Superglue should be fine but if you want a stronger bond you could always embed a couple of small bits of plastic from the sprue into your base (assuming you're using milliput or something similar) and then use plastic cement to attach the model to that. Another possible option is to leave some of the sprue attached to her feet and just drill a hole in your base for that, which will give more area for the superglue to work on.

• Like 1