Big Trouble in Pleasance Final Thoughts

Brewmaster

So, now that I've had a bit of time to unwind, here's some things I've figured out that will help me run future games better.

1) Combat versus non-combat is honestly dependent on a few factors. The skills at the end of a session will level up based on what you threw at them in the session, so if you go combat heavy, they'll have combat heavy choices to pick from. You definitely seed what style of game you'll get based on what skills you allow the players to use. Multiple NFCs is still preferred over "Boss" fights when building for a combat. At the end of the campaign, I had a "final boss fight". By that point players had multiple flips (which burns through the deck faster which draws cards faster), so the henchman/ master level defenses aren't a problem. It THEN becomes a matter of raw damage going back which leads to the players having to choose "How little do I want to get hurt".

Ideal "Challenging" fight: High minion to Enforcer level mooks with a Henchman Boss in charge of the fight.

Idea for High level boss fight: For my "Mayor Carlyle" fight, He was there in three stages. When dealing with crazy Malifaux stuff, consider using the Avatar rules and elements. You give players the sense of scale and "This just got real", but you're using hench level stats, so it's not COMPLETELY overwhelming.

2) Destinies. I liked my idea from the first post, but it needs a LITTLE tweaking. I haven't quite figured out HOW yet, but I want to play around with it. Definitely digging having a thing brought in by the players that gives me a vector to drop a story on.

• Like 2