The Dreamer or Collodi?

Ikvar

So I have chosen to have two factions, and three masters in each faction to focus on. I have taken Gremlins and Neverborn for my two factions: Zoraida, Brewmaster and Wong with the Gremlins, and Zoraida, Lilith... and either the Dreamer or Collodi with Neverborn. 

However as the Neverborn noob that I am, I have absolutely no idea how their generel playstyle is, or even what a crew with them would look like. So if there are any of you wonderful people that would help me get a generel idea about them, so it might be easier to choose, I will in return promiss to write about my endevaurs with them :) 

OK so Preface: everything I will say is theory, or simply experience playing against them.

So Dreamer is a BEAST!!!  My local store owner has mastered and I mean mastered this  Master.  He can either be a support caster or a beatstick depending on if he stays the dreamer or becomes LCB. He is very very very hard to kill, and there are a lot of varieties of play style with him. He can play off your will power or just be very very aggressive.  IMHO he is for people who like to play aggressive. 

Collodi is different as he is mostly a support caster who buffs himself, to give it out.  I love his fluff and he is able to take any puppet from any faction, which gives him a lot of room to play outside of Neverborn. It also allows you to play a lot of different ways, but he is much more fragile than dreamer.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Good Luck

• Like 2

Restless dreams I think it is called gives LCB melee expert when dreamer is buried. Dreamer can either summon decently and support relatively well his crew and chompy is a bonus. Or focus on chompy hitting things hard. Both work really well. Collodi there is a tactica you could read in the newborn thread. He does things. He makes his things do things and summons dolls.

Collodi is a massive control piece, you'll be able to consistently do mid range damage while at the same time denying you opponent AP, healing yourself, etcetc

He lacks the "rawr I have hit you with a big claw!" of other Neverborn Masters, but Puppetmaster is a very defining term for him on the table. Also a wrote up a big giant tactica on him, so bias I guess

That's difficult, I also chosen 2 Factions and the Masters from Neverborn are Collodi and the Dreamer I like them both. I have the Dreamer at the moment and he is awesome. His ability to adapt to the game turn for turn is a real plus. If you need to summon do so, if you need to be a hard hitter then you can do that. If you need fast models to take objectives. I play with the same bunch of models. The only difference is if they start on the board or do I summon them. The Madness is rare 3 so if I am taking table quarters or playing line in the sand I always make sure I start with them. If I am playing turf war I may need to take Lilu and Lilithu to do more damage and hold a position. This is the best part about the dreamer is being able to adapt his crew in game.

For Collodi I don't know much about him yet but I like all the tricks he does with puppets and I love the fluff behind him so that is the reason I am going for him next.

• 2 weeks later...

No. Getting 3 ap is not a trait associated with being the leader of a crew. It is a feature of the Master trait, which chompy does not have.

If you decide to play a game as arcanists and decide to lead your crew with Joss, he does not get 3 ap, he works exactly as he works in a regular crew, the only difference being you don't pay for him, starts with a cache, and you don't get a master.

I have tried to make a little list with The Dreamer, but remember I have never played with him, so be kind ;)

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

The Dreamer -- 2 Pool
 +Restless Dreams [1]
 +Tantrum [2]

Daydream X 2 [4]
Barbaros [10]
Coppelius [8]
Insidious Madness [5]
Teddy [11]
Widow Weaver [8]
 +Fears Given Form [1]

My idea was to kill one daydream to get 4Alps and 2daydreams in the first 2turns, and then have LCB in his face ASAP, and after his demise I would still have The Dreamer with range expert etc.

I took Barbaros as I thought he could be a good bodyguard for all the fragile models, with his "Challenge" ability, This way all my Alps and Daydreams would have more freedom to play around with the enemie. 

I took Widow Weaver for her webs and WP shenanigans.

Teddy as my beatstick.

Coppelius to summon more alps and play with WP stuff.

Insidious Madness to be the bodyguard for The Dreamer with his WP/DF trigger.

Could this be a viable list and strategy?
- and as always I know Crew lists should never be written in stone in this game, this is just to get a generel feel for The Dreamer :)

And a side question: when LCB dies and The Dreamer comes out again, will he still be getting the waking condition?
- this is pretty important concerning his passive heals.

I've recently begun taking Baby Kade along with Teddy, and have been pleased with the results.  Having an alp around Kade provides some nice damage synergy.  I've not used Barbaros, so I don't know how well that  works.

Consider using Insidious Madness as an objective runner...he really excels at that.

Take care using Fears given Form - it affects friendly models as well.

If this was my list:

I would consider taking the Otherworldly upgrade so Dreamer can accomplice, remove Fears Given Form and give Teddy On Dreaming Wings.  Activate Daydream, push nightmare 4" (probably Teddy) then sacrifice for the suit.  Next activation with Dreamer, I would either  pop out three Alps\Daydreams like you mentioned \ or \ pop out an Alp, give Teddy fast, and push him 6" with Empty Night, then accomplice the fast Teddy to get him into the action as quick as possible.

So you would be more in the favor of a list like this?

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

The Dreamer -- 3 Pool
 +Otherworldly [2]
 +Restless Dreams [1]
 +Tantrum [2]

Daydream X 2 [4]
Baby Kade [7]
 +Depression [1]
Coppelius [8]
Insidious Madness [5]
Teddy [11]
Widow Weaver [8]

I definitely see the potential in BK synergy with the alps... but would it not be very easy for the enemy to kill all the small models, if there are no model to play bodyguard for them? it just seems like a lot of the models in this list a quite squishy?

They indeed are. Thats were tactical gameplay comes in. And dreamer healing.

And if you want tougher nightmares, get Stitched Togethers or the Twins. 

Also remember that insignificant peons don't score points and are thus pretty low on the enemy priority list unless you stuff them in their faces.

Yes, that would be closer to a list I run...but depends on the strategies and schemes.  If I'm going for assassinate and kill protege, it could work...but would have to be with heavy pushing to achieve them.  If I'm going for line in the sand and breakthrough, then it is a risky list with so many peons.  Your opponent will happily ignore your alps unless you make them deal with.  

If I need a good amount of significant models, then I'm going to hire less models and take the Dreams of Pain upgrade and summon one or two models per turn and support them with empty night.  The easy cost swap there is dropping Insidious Madness for the upgrade, then summon the Madness on a 9M.

Dreamer is a finesse master, his crew is mostly squishy, but they are fast and can hit hard.  Pick your targets and maneuver to strike when it is good for you.  If you try to roll in like a tank, you will struggle.  Now, for assassinate, I have been known to take Teddy with ODW and on turn 1: push 4" with Daydream, then with Dreamer; give him fast and push another 6".  Giving Teddy up to a 24" threat range that ignores terrain on movement.  Sure, doing so comes at a cost...but it was worth it to see my friends jaw drop when I launched a giant flying teadybear at his master for a great big hug.

I have a bit of a noob question, but does incorporeal ignore disengaging strike?

And regarding The Dream Of Pain upgrade- I just have a hard time seeing how it can be worth it, its card intensive and everything you summon will have 1wd... that gotta be the worst summoning in the game?

Sadly incorporeal (and flight) does not stop disengaging strikes (page 44)

Remember the summoned nightmares get to heal from dreamers aura as soon as they activate, and any ability that gives you powerfull or tricky models for free (even if wounded) is pretty strong.

I haven't put Collodi on the table yet, but have with Dreamer and LOVED him. :D

Dreamer does almost everything I like in Malifaux, and then a few other things I didn't know I liked, but it turns out I do anyway. ;)

Dreamer himself has some incredible support tricks and his crew can push his own models like a boss, which allows for alot of possible tricks. He summons relatively easily and with cheap Alps/Daydreams you can exercise some good activation control too. Then if you feel like it, you can flip Dreamer into LCB and wreck some serious face! 

Here's the 45SS crew I used. Keep in mind though, this was for Turf War with a set of schemes that couldn't get any more kill-focused. If it was more objective-based I would have possibly gone down the summoning route and made room for some more objective-focused minions.

Dreamer

- Restless Dreams
- Tantrum
2x Daydreams
2x Stitched Together
2x Teddys

I'm writing up a blog post on my experience with Dreamer as part of my Rainbow Challenge this year. Hopefully that will be up in a few days!

Barbaros is one of a few models that actually CAN bodyguard. Most models rely on being a larger threat than the thing they bodyguard, Teddy does for example. Its all fine and dandy, except that you master is going to be a big threat always. Barb actually has way of diverting the attacks towards himself, which get stronger if you have further way to alter WP, like Weaver Widow.

That said, it really depends on playstyle if you'd want a bodyguard at all

Yeah that was exactly my thought, with lots of small models running around making them loose WP and most likely doing some passive dmg every time he activates something, and barbaros using his 0 ability (which is also wp based) to force them to attack him.

- something I ran into last time I did this with Lilith though- If one of my othe models are engaged with an enemy model, and Barbaros uses his Challenge... will the enemy engaged with the other model have to do a WP check every time he attacks the model he is engaged with, forcing him to do a disengaging strike to get to Barbaros if he wants to avoid the constant WP check every single time he wants to attack another model?

If I played this right and this is allowed, then you could easily tie up a lot of his models by NOT directly engaging them with Barbaros, but let other models get in melee and then use his ability to force them to either do constant WP duels, or waste AP to try and get away forcing a disengaging strike :)