Dear Wyrd. We need to talk about intuition.

Poko

While I haven't gotten the Viktorias plastics yet, it does seem like having the entire arm separate and attaching at the shoulder would be better design than attaching at the wrist.  (a la Viktoria Alternate vs Viktoria Original)

As a side note/question about the Viktorias plastic - The pictures I've seen make the mini for the standing Viktoria look rather...  asymmetric.  Is the mini's left breast really that much larger than the right one, or is it just an illusion created by the sculpt & camera lighting?

Looking at the mini it's more like the right breast is higher than the left, by more than you would expect from the position of her shoulders and arms. Funny thing is that Blood's pose with the arm up would probably pull up the breast a bit but hers are perfectly level.

I put together the justice crew as my first wyrd box... The sculpts are amazing but dammmmmn teeny tiny glue areas. Like the foot for the death Marshall leaping off the coffin, and lady j's sword blade.

I also superglued a fishing weight to prevent one death Marshall from tipping.

That one plastic Death Marshall is a bit of a nightmare to get jumping off of the coffin properly - tiny foot connection point.  Luckily, it's plastic, which means a good plastic glue turns it all into one nice solid piece.  Still takes a bit of care, but I can't even imagine trying something like that in metal.

I have noticed that Wyrd is incredibly fond of tiny attachment points.  The standing Beckoner and female Tokarage have utterly absurd amounts of space to attach them to their base.  Plastic Candy is not much better.  I'm pretty sure I'll be regluing that Beckoner a few more times, and the others are only existing based due to clever positioning of basing and plastic elements, which makes for a stronger bond than superglue alone *shrugs*

I think the thing that really bugs me about Wyrd plastics is the sizing of some of the models.  The first one I really noticed with this was Shang, where I had to build a massive overhang to get him to actually fit on his base.  Looking at the M&SU 2E box, I can see the Brass Arachnid and Howard Langstrom are going to be equally obnoxious in that regard (with the former, I'm damn tempted to just go get the metal version and use the plastic for something else entirely). 

Luckily all the plastics are gorgeous - so having to generate creative basing is a small price to pay.  Mind you, it can look a little obnoxious when you've got 30mm models strutting around on bases that are built up and around to actually fit them on there - Shang would fit so much better on a 40mm...

I'm not going to lie, most of the wyrd plastics are okay, but some models...ugh.

The gas mask front piece on the strongarm suit. Why? It was forever lost, and we had to file down a piece of the sprue to replace it. Still, we think it looks better that way, so no harm done.

The wrists on the Vik set...I managed most of them, eventually, but there are a couple that slipped after the gule was applied, and then set before I noticed. So I have a few with broken wrists.... I would be happy if Wyrd would figure out a way to either key the wrists such that they could not easily slip, or just not break them at the wrists....

And final;ly, bits of cloth with no visible attachment point, such as Taylor's overall bits. Not only do they snap of and get lost after glueing, but glueing itself is a challenge. Call me a noob, but I never had that problem as often in the metals, and it is irritating to realize that my model is deficient not by design but by accident.

Also, saying take precautions is reasonable, to a point. I really shouldn't have to adopt the same kind of protocols for putting together a model person that I would have to use for assembling microchips and superconductors. assembling over a box, using plastic glue, these are reasonable. Still having to search for 15 minutes because the hand fell off the arm, or because It went flying 15 degrees off of straight up when clipping is pushing it.

I have only assembled the new Ramos box and Vanessa in plastic, but I can't say I enjoyed either experience. Maybe I just love drilling tiny holes through miniature high heel boots, but I just adore the metal models (both in quality and aesthetics) so much that I'm picking up all of the old metal models that I can before I don't have the option anymore.

• 1 month later...

I gave the plastics another go as I happened upon a bargain Lilith box. I must say, the difference is heaven and hell. The oucasts one was pure pain, while putting together the lilith box was a breeze. Only one of the tots gave me any trouble, and it was quickly fixed. So yes, it's clear it's just a case of cutting the models properly when making the mould. V. happy with the nephilim, wish the hired blades were as good. Esp. liked the fact the wings were in one piece, i remember trying to glue the wings on young metal nephs and how much of a nightmare it was too.

I lost Yan Lo's beard in my carpet once.

Took 3 hours of searching but I eventually found it.

I lost both heads and the neck-kerchief from Lucas McCabe.  Sadly my wife vacuumed my hobby room, which I have told her to NEVER do, before I was able to find them.  So those parts are gone gone gone.

My only complaint about Wyrd's new models is that there is really no way to get replacements other than buying full new box sets.  

I do not look forward to glueing individual whiskers on Malifaux Rats. Nor do i look forward to tying their tails together to form the Rat King.

This reminds me of Lego sets that have winch bits - which for whatever Maker forsaken reason require you to tie the string to each end.  At least Wyrd models don't require us to tie knots :P

I'd actually imagine that a plastic Malifaux rat box would probably include a few rats without tails.  Then you'd have bits for the individual tails as well as one that's several tails intertwined to form a rat king.

instead of gluing on whiskers, to paint, and hope they never snap, instead after painting is done, drill some tiny holes where the whiskers go, and then put a drop of glue on fishing line and press it into the hole. trim the line to desired length, presto flexible, whiskers.

(to slightly drop back to some older stuff in this thread) some of the issues with the new plastics, I think, are down to relative inexperience. I in no way think that model poses should be subsumed by material limitations unless absolutely necessary, but this kind of thing comes with time. As a company does more and more models with a given medium, and learns the limitations of the material, mould maker, and eventual outcome, certain... tricks become more apparent.

This can be relatively easily seen in the first offerings by Battlefront's Shermans as compared to the Shermans made by Plastic Soldier Company. PSC has been doing plastic for a good while, and for the most part their piece divisions are logical and easy to assemble. BFs first foray had a few things that I get why they were done, but weren't as... efficient from a modeling standpoint as they could have been.

In the case of Wyrd's join-at-the-wrist models, a common way I've seen to reduce that issue is to do a Z-shape cut: half-way through the wrist at the wrist, with .5mm or so of parallel cut, with the rest made up slightly higher. It's not a perfect fix on models without cuffs, but it does add more gluing surface-area, and makes the join a more secure one, since only a certain applied force will split the latter, whereas any off-angle force will stress the former.

With the Hired Swords box, in some cases it's necessary just because of the limitations of the figure itself: a petite (or willowy, I guess) female model isn't going to have _any_ clean breaks, so you do need to get a bit creative. Personally I'm a fan for more bitz and cleaner cuts because I'm a fanatic converter: Any day I get to go to town swapping bitz and whatnot is a good day!

• Like 2

Why do people think that model has lots of rats with tied together tails and is not a big rat wearing a crown... and a waist coat... with a Cuddle gun.

You know why, Ratty :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore)

Mind you, if Wyrd wants to provide us models of Twitch from League of Legends with a crown I won't complain.