US RANKED CaptainCon - Taunton, MA July 25 - July 27

PeregrineFalcon

I've received a few PMs asking if people can just 'show-up' any of the three days of CaptainCon and get a badge and play in the events. The answer is YES, if you have a last minute change of plans and can make the trip, feel free to come by. There are slots open for ALL of the Malifaux events. Badges are available at the door and gets you in to the entire event (no extra fee for certain events), its an ALL-ACCESS. Badges are available for single-day ($35) or all weekend ($50).

SO to be clear, we will NEVER turn away a player at CaptainCon, we have tons of space and will ALWAYS find a table for players to play on.

Hope to see tons of new (and old/ugly) faces there!, 24 hours until it begins!!!

Just got back from CaptainCon.  What a Frakkin' BLAST!

I played in the Henchman Hardcore, and the Ranked Gaining Grounds.

I didn't play in the doubles because I was busy running Malifaux Demos, but it looked like everyone was having fun!

Thanks, Falcon and Jonasty for running stuff.  You guys are great!

If you're in the Northeast (USA) or near the Northeast (USA) then you need to come to next year's CaptainCon.  Hope to see you there!

• Like 2

I have to agree with how much of a great job the TO's did. 

I only attended the doubles myself but the event was run very well. The organizers did a great job with setting up tables, making judgement calls in a timely yet logical manner, keeping spirits high, and making sure everyone had a good time. I know I myself thoroughly enjoyed all 4 of my matches and learned a lot. I did get a little worn out by the end of the 4th match however I would definitively go again. 

Kudos! 

• Like 2

So I want to thank so many people and companies for their gratitude, attitude, and energy for this inaugural CaptainCon. First and foremost, the kickstarter backers. Seriously, this event would not have happened without you. Next, is Wyrd Miniatures. The amount of support was stellar. Everyone kept asking and noticing how much support Wyrd threw in, they were some of the most popular items in the CaptainsLog and went quickly once people had enough points.

Next is Urbanlasercraft.com, he provided token sets, and tokens for every player in the Doppleganger. Next is Card Empire in Torrington, CT. Jason spoke with the owner before heading up and was able to include dozens of the metal blisters and 1st edition box sets, which were great for fleshing out the raffles we ran. Thank you very much to Card Empire for their support.

Lastly, and most definitely not the least, is a huge shoutout to Mike S. (TruAskew) and Matt P. (Zombie170)1 on the forums for his amazing terrain (you'll see in in the photos). 

Some key notes:

• For the entire 3 days of the con we had the largest non-Warmachine attendance. I can't believe the Hardcore on Friday was double the amount of pre-regs. 
  • We had a constant stream of demos all day Saturday, and to be honest I think it was so busy that a few people had to come back. Next year we plan to have an even bigger demo area, obviously we'll nee more volunteers for that :D
  • Painting, there was no painting requirement. But holy god, I don't think I saw many unpainted crews. Everyone had color on their models and the majority of them were just amazing to look at. Well done, I think we're at the point in the next couple of months where we can start making it a requirement for events
  • Rankings will be submitted in the next couple of days. Make sure to checkout www.malifauxrankings.com/usa 

Please provide any feedback here, via PM to me and we'll get it relayed to the New England Privateers for planning next  year. 

Lastly, I mentioned to a number of you that if you are an event organizer in the New England area that you are welcome to join our Google Group. Just PM me your email and I'll have you added. Its purpose is for planning events and organizing and not for painting, general Malifaux discussion, etc. There are places like A Wyrd Place and Twitter #Malifaux for that. 

So hope everyone had a blast and I'll be at Gencon if anyone else wants to grab a drink (or a game).

Photos are up on a Google+ Photo Album here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+AdamHelbling/albums/6040909757725931409

• Like 3

Waking up from my post Con coma now and wow, what a great weekend! I met a great bunch of mostly local people, played more Malifaux games in 3 days than I have the last 3 months and feel pretty comfortable using Pandora. Now I need to focusing on learning my schemes and strategies ;).

I also left without the bad vibes tourneys usually give me. It felt like we were playing some league games at the Eagles. Thanks to the great players and all the organizers. You guys rock!

• Like 5

I also left without the bad vibes tourneys usually give me. It felt like we were playing some league games at the Eagles. Thanks to the great players and all the organizers. You guys rock!

Glad you had a great time, Ed. Your comment is one of the best complements we could receive. Everyone needs to experience a con like this. Just a great excuse to game all weekend and of course hang out with fun people.

Was also awesome to see Jonah make the drive out form Western MA and totally swooop in and take 1st place (well deserved 3 wins) in the Gaining Grounds yesterday. Pretty sure Drool Bucket (Ian) has given him a fitting new nickname, "WinningJonah"!

Here are results from Doppleganger and GG for those curious on faction spread, etc.

Doppleganger:

Screen+Shot+2014-07-28+at+9.21.21+AM.png

Gaining Grounds:

Screen+Shot+2014-07-28+at+9.06.59+AM.png

CaptainCon was one of those events where it was what we made of it.  The New England area, with help from a pair of adopted New Yorkers, all showed up with great attitudes and a love of a common game.  The end result was two extremely smoothly run events in which a lot of people got to showcase those attitudes and share the love of the game.

For a first go-around both the Con was amazing as were my games all weekend long.  I could not recommend to people enough to attend next year, where we'll continue to grow the event and make the Malifaux scene even stronger!

And it was really cool to be "in the middle" of the ballroom opposed to shoved into a corner.  

A shout out to @Truaskew and @mperry1701 for all the amazing terrain they lent, same to Will @Urbanlasercraft for his continual support of our Malifaux functions and continual access to his great terrain! 

Thanks again to Wyrd for their generous support.  Between their donations to the Con's reward/prize system and the hard work of the team of (amazing, hardworking, awesome, generous) Henchmen Malifaux was brought to the forefront, put on display and did not disappoint.

Now, to try and figure out how to replicate the whole shebang at TempleCon this winter.... 

Just want to echo what's been said already, everything was fantastically well run.  Big thanks to Adam and Jonah for hosting such great events!

Terrain was incredible, thanks to Mike (add some more buildings to the swamp board!), Matt P, Will, and anyone else who provided scenery.

Thanks to Wyrd and our other sponsors for the prize support.  Shoutout to Will at Urban Lasercraft, I nabbed a set of his Malifaux tokens on Sunday and they are totally sweet.  I think everyone I played against this weekend had a set, I'm excited that I can join the club now too.

I also want to thank all of my opponents for the great games over the weekend - you guys and gals are all awesome!

Want to put my two cents in - had an absolute blast finally meeting everyone and having a weekend to do nothing but play Malifaux! Want to shout out Card Empire if anyone wants to come check us out. We're in the process of renovating our tabletop gaming room with new tables and terrain. 

Totally looking forward to next year where I know we'll have an even larger showing! 

• Like 1

Want to put my two cents in - had an absolute blast finally meeting everyone and having a weekend to do nothing but play Malifaux! Want to shout out Card Empire if anyone wants to come check us out. We're in the process of renovating our tabletop gaming room with new tables and terrain. 

Totally looking forward to next year where I know we'll have an even larger showing! 

Card Empire's support was such a great boost to the raffle. Helped flesh out and make sure most everyone had a chance to walk away with something.

On a side note, sounds like Alan is hooked to play more (not because he loves Malifaux, which he does), but because of all the cool people he met who play there regularly. He is going to get some more models to flesh out his dreamer crew and then start coming to game against/with you guys and gals.

So glad to know we made some new connections for the Malifaux players in the New England (and NY and NJ area).

• Like 1

WinningJonah.

Cause that makes Boston Jonah LoserJonah, which is just funny.... 

Technically as I've yet to play in a ranked event, I'm Null-ScoreJonah at this point.

It was great to meet all these various posters and put names and faces to forum handles.  (Although sadly I'll probably need a refresher at the next event lol.)

• 2 months later...