Resser Masters (of the Universe). Or, who is good at what exactly?

PointBlank

Hi all,

Noob to the game, and am very keen on Rezzers of all flavours. I am now trying to figure out which Masters I will go with initially and what other models I will start to focus on acquiring sooner rather than later (I know I'll get 'em all eventually!)

Obviously there's a range of factors to consdier, metal vs. plastic, beat down style vs. summoning/support, the crews I see most often in my local group and so on, but to start with I thought I'd like to build a well rounded pool of Masters/models that can cope with what will be thrown at me.

To start with, I am hoping to get some general advice on which Masters are better or worse at certain schemes/strategies. I'm sure that Master X can be decent at scheme Y with the right choice of models and tactics, but I am wondering if there is a general feeling for strengths and weaknesses across the Masters at all, with their 'themey' crews as the default?

E.g. Kirai and her typical spirit crew are hard hitting and mobile so are good at X and Y but can be pretty fragile and thus not so good for Z.

Grateful for any and all advice!

I agree that Nico is well rounded, but he requires a large number of models. Being able to summon in a model a turn means you need to have a bit of a collection to use him. I love him though so a master well worth learning.

My personal suggestion would be Seamus, just grab the plastic box and a heavy hitter (Rogue Necromancy, Dead Rider etc) and you are good to go. He's manoeuvrable depending upon terrain and can pack a punch and his crew can look after most of the schemes. Then i'd say Nico after that, as you will have some belles to summon in.

The thing is that one or two models can change the entire theme of a crew. McMourning can be played as kind of a combo set up, using 2-3 characters to bomb a big target out of the game with expunge (my favorite way to play them) or with a few canine remains they can be a scheme running fast moving but a bit more fragile crew. Nicodem can be a slow summoning grind meant to attrition your opponent or can play aggressive with punk zombies to put the hurt on people.

An individual model, even a single upgrade can change so much in Malifaux that its hard to pin one role on any crew.

And, in general, this edition was balanced more around the idea that everyone could succeed at any scheme - some might be slightly more suited, but all are reasonable.

I would second the recommendation of Seamus as your first Resser, as he's simple to start, very flexible, and very effective (and quite a lot of fun).

The nice thing about Seamus is his Summoning is quite slow and is a very contained subset of models. Even with someone like McMourning you can end up needing 3+ Flesh Constructs and half a dozen dogs if things go well for you. The other good Master to look at is Yan Lo, although he is a bit more complicated to start with, he doesn't summon additional models, so it's very easy to get a core crew for him quickly, and then expand as you see fit, rather than having to fill out gaps in your collection to fulfil your Leader's summoning pool.

I have to agree with Ratty and Kadeton.

Seamus out of the box is almost everything you need to run him, maybe a blister of rotten belles and you are good to go.

I think Nicodem is the strongest master on the whole, but you will need to collect a lot of models to get him to full power.

McMorning is great, but you need to have a collection of Canine remains, and Guild Autopsy's to get him to really run well.

Yan lo is one of my favorite Masters. but I suggest buying Yin the Peligian, Toshiro the Diamyo, and Izumu the Armor to be able to play him at optimum capasity.

This is just my 10 cents, but I hope you enjoy ressurs as they are my main faction right now.

Hope This helps.

If you really love the look of NIcodem though, get him.  Nico does enjoy a horde, but in smaller games and with newer players he's still a powerful support/buff piece.  Even if he's mostly just summoning back his own punk zombies after your opponent kills them.

Long term of course you should get more models for him to play with, but the same is true of any master.  If you don't think Nico should be your first purchase behind Seamus, he can be GREAT as your second.

Also, most casual play groups will let you proxy other models if you are looking to test something out before you buy. So IMO pick up a starter box, grab the arsenal deck and proxy up models to see what you like before you drop the money on it. Just because Malifaux is relatively cheaper than most mini games, doesn't mean you should spend money on models you won't end up using often.

I'd buy McM's and Nico's boxes and expand from there, aalthough Seamus's would be a good starting place w. Yan Lo's or Mollys. Atleast two masters, I chose McM and Nico because of the former's melee prowess and aggression and the latters summon and buffs, so that I have just the right tools. Seamus is fast and hits hard, the biggest problem w. his box is imo Sybelle, cannot stand the minis. 
Molly is another master to consider, debuffs and summons + RN go a long way, although one might wait for the plastics. 

You don't like the new Sybelle? Odd, I bought the Seamus box all over again mainly because the new Sybelle is really cool.

Differences of opinion I guess.

And vice versa I really don't like the new Sybelle (or Seamus), it really is personal preference.

Back on topic.

I'd agree that Seamus is a very good all rounder, but at the same time I don't think any particular master will struggle in any particular strat/scheme combo (like in the previous edition). Really I'd say just go with whatever master you like the look and feel of.

BTW Molly is the best master hands down anyway :P

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

Sounds like it will be difficult to go wrong really if I am just picking up things as I go, which is great.

I have Seamus' box now and will likely grab Yan and/or McM pretty soon. Love the new plastics! I will hold off on Nico for a while as he is about the only Resser that I don't really love straight off the bat. Think I'd much rather try Molly for my go to summoner schtik.

Everyone else I will grab as their plastics become available :)

Related question: are they any models in the Resser range that are generally considered a bit cruddy, and perhaps might better be proxied and tried out before $ ?

Cheers folks!

Related question: are they any models in the Resser range that are generally considered a bit cruddy, and perhaps might better be proxied and tried out before $ ?

I think pretty much any model if you want a sure bet, some really good models might not suit your playstyle after all. Have you ever tried Vassal? Propably the best place to try out models.

Yeah that is a tough question with ressurs,  It really is a matter of opinion and play style. Each model is powerful in a specific way.  If you read it's rules and a light goes off, get the model.  I like them all pretty much.  I also suggest the University of Transmortis, cool box set and a nice ressur add on.

University box is a story encounter, it brings you a solo game for Malifaux or a story encounter to play with your friends as well. It brings you 4 new models which can be used in Malifaux. The Valedictorian, Student of Sinew, Student of Viscera and one more Student which I don't remember.

Vassal is module where you can play Malifaux as you would on a board, but with the aura's and such a lot easier to manage, it also includes all the models avalaible so it's a fantastic place to try out different models as well as play Malifaux when your gaming group isn't playing :)

Hope that helps a bit.

The models in the University of Transmortis are The Valedictorian and then the Students of Steel, Sinew & Viscera. 

Valedictorian focuses on dishing out damage to everyone and everything, she is also a Henchman.

Steel focuses more on dealing with Constructs

Sinew  focuses more on dealing with Undead

Viscera focuses more on dealing with the Living.

They all have a few things in common. They are all Terrifying to their relevant field of studies. They all have Armour+1, HtW +1 &  (2) Flurry. They also come with a Trigger that gives ++ Damage Flips to their chosen field of study. Finally they all have a (0) Called Lecture Notes that are pretty much the same however the Valedictorians has a Trigger that allows it to attack. 

They make great additions to a resser collection, I've bought them specifically to be summoned by Nico so I can counter almost any crew I need to with a fairly hefty beater. Lastly, they look epic!

Thanks for the info on Transmortis. I think I recall seeing them amongst the Wave 2 downloads? I'll go back and look more closely as possibilities. Summoning in specific hitters to counter different enemy load outs is a great idea!

I looked in to Vassal a few years back when I was into WM/H and felt it wasn't quite for me then. Is it feasible to play solo at all? Young child in the house can make uninterrupted scheduled online time a bit of a challenge!

Well I'd say there's nothing more to add about the University box after MD's post. I might as well edit/delete my futile attempt :D

Haha sorry zfiend. I kinda Suckapunched your post there didn't I?!

The only thing I missed originally is that all the Students have the Horror and Academic traits so certain masters such as Molly can interact with them quite nicely. Not sure what use Academic is at the moment. They cant benefit from the Oxfordian Mages and FK Librarians don't have any synergy with other academics (excluding the Mages of course). Hopefully in the Future there will be a Dual Faction Arcanist Resser. The Head Master or The Dean would be cool!

I've heard Vassal is simple to use and Malifaux battle reps always look great with a few Vassal screen shots for reference. I still need to update my Vassal module to M2E but I've been so busy recently.