Malifaux Podcasts

FertileSpade

I listen to all three mentioned so far, and would also recommend:

"Malibros"

"The Isle of Faux"

"Through The Breach"

the "Guessing Zero Network" podcasts ("Crit of Gamers", "Gaming Done Right", "Desperate Mercs")

and "Malibites"

I'm a podcast whore though, so some you will find better than others (as the quality and entertainment value of some them wax and wane more than others),   but I listen to almost all Malifaux podcasts I come upon.

• 2 weeks later...

I listen to a lot of the ones listed but I have really been enjoying the hell out of "Desperate Mercs" on Guessing Zero.

I don't think it hurts that one of the hosts' voice reminds me of Patton Oswald.  I love the idea of Patton Oswald playing Malifaux.  Patton is the man! :-D

I like a lot of the UK shows, and the three podcasts on Guessing Zero are the best of the American casts.  I agree with Tunagami that Desperate Mercs is especially high quality.  I fast-forward when Gaming Done Right covers RPGs, WWX, or Star Trek stuff, but their Malifaux content is solid.  

A lot of the Malifaux podcasts spend way too much time just yakking about stuff only tangentially related to Malifaux (some friend they saw at a tournament, lame "jokes," excessive navel-gazing, etc.).  This is exacerbated by some painfully slow talkers (1.5-2x playback speed to the rescue).  Some of these podcasts run longer than two hours but have half the content of more focused 1 hr podcasts like those on Guessing Zero.  Whether through editing or just staying on topic, shows like Desperate Mercs set the standard for a concentrated dose of Malifaux goodness. 

• Like 1

A lot of the Malifaux podcasts spend way too much time just yakking about stuff only tangentially related to Malifaux (some friend they saw at a tournament, lame "jokes," excessive navel-gazing, etc.).  This is exacerbated by some painfully slow talkers (1.5-2x playback speed to the rescue).  Some of these podcasts run longer than two hours but have half the content of more focused 1 hr podcasts like those on Guessing Zero.  Whether through editing or just staying on topic, shows like Desperate Mercs set the standard for a concentrated dose of Malifaux goodness. 

Well, I don't think it is malifaux specific podcasts that have this problem.  I listen to a lot of the WM/H and Infinity podcasts too, or should I say DID listen to a lot of them.....

things that kill podcasts dead for me every time:

• Inside jokes that take up 10-15 minutes.  Hell, anything that is more than 1 minute of inside stuff is just a waste of time.
  • 1 to 3 to 5+ minute intros of music that I really don't care to listen too.  I am glad you like classic rock/country/dubstep/whatever and want to share.  But I don't want that in my podcast (no, it is not peanut-butter + chocolate = resse's).  Get to the goods!
  • Don't tell me you are taking a break.  This doesn't kill it, but it is annoying as hell.  It is not live radio.  I don't need to pause and do something else while commercials blare.  Take your break.  Just spend a bit more time when you are editing it.
  • Anything that is not on topic and seems to appear EVERY TIME.  I don't care!  Get to the goods!
  • Pimping your latest gear that is game related is totally fine.  Just don't take a third of an episode about it (haven't had that problem with any Mali podcasts yet.  Malifools bendy-boards stuff is actually humorous and tongue-in-cheek, so that is an example of HOW to do it)

One infinity podcast had a bag manufacterer rant for about 20 minutes one episode about how people were wrongly/rightly talking trash about him.  I really don't care.  I wasn't there to listen to him cry about something.  I was there for a podcast on infinity.  The podcast has been MUCH better since he left and if I was heavily into Infinity still (not abandoned, just Malifaux is my girl at the moment) I would be listening to it consistently because the other 2 hosts had good insight.  That was a good change and I think all podcasts can get better.

I stopped listening to the majority of WM/H podcasts because there was just too much crap in between and didn't feel like wasting my time fastforwarding through.  I still listen to Chain Attack though.  There is some junk in that podcast, but I would say it is 99% fun.

Now, this is all complaining/ranting/some-say-whinging.  That said:

THANK YOU!!!!!

Thank you to all the people who dedicate their time in contributing podcasts to this great game and all the other ones (even if I think the other game might suck ;-)).  Game companies should be thanking you as well.  When your cast is done right..... you make everyone want to stop what they are doing and just start painting/building/playing/gaming!  Quite a few of you peeps have given me hours of entertainment on the trains commuting to work, while painting, while cooking, etc.  And I wanted to say, thanks!

• Like 2

Since other people plugged for me, I won't bother!

But I did want to come in and say thanks to those speaking for and well of Guessing Zero. I've spent some time focusing on trying to have good quality recordings, and we all talk to each other about what else we can do.

If anyone ever has comments or suggestions, feel free to contact me. We do this as much for you as for ourselves.

• Like 1

--snip--

Well, I don't think it is malifaux specific podcasts that have this problem.  I listen to a lot of the WM/H and Infinity podcasts too, or should I say DID listen to a lot of them.....

things that kill podcasts dead for me every time:

• Inside jokes that take up 10-15 minutes.  Hell, anything that is more than 1 minute of inside stuff is just a waste of time.
  • 1 to 3 to 5+ minute intros of music that I really don't care to listen too.  I am glad you like classic rock/country/dubstep/whatever and want to share.  But I don't want that in my podcast (no, it is not peanut-butter + chocolate = resse's).  Get to the goods!
  • Don't tell me you are taking a break.  This doesn't kill it, but it is annoying as hell.  It is not live radio.  I don't need to pause and do something else while commercials blare.  Take your break.  Just spend a bit more time when you are editing it.
  • Anything that is not on topic and seems to appear EVERY TIME.  I don't care!  Get to the goods!
  • Pimping your latest gear that is game related is totally fine.  Just don't take a third of an episode about it (haven't had that problem with any Mali podcasts yet.  Malifools bendy-boards stuff is actually humorous and tongue-in-cheek, so that is an example of HOW to do it)

One infinity podcast had a bag manufacterer rant for about 20 minutes one episode about how people were wrongly/rightly talking trash about him.  I really don't care.  I wasn't there to listen to him cry about something.  I was there for a podcast on infinity.  The podcast has been MUCH better since he left and if I was heavily into Infinity still (not abandoned, just Malifaux is my girl at the moment) I would be listening to it consistently because the other 2 hosts had good insight.  That was a good change and I think all podcasts can get better.

I stopped listening to the majority of WM/H podcasts because there was just too much crap in between and didn't feel like wasting my time fastforwarding through.  I still listen to Chain Attack though.  There is some junk in that podcast, but I would say it is 99% fun.

Now, this is all complaining/ranting/some-say-whinging.  That said:

THANK YOU!!!!!

Thank you to all the people who dedicate their time in contributing podcasts to this great game and all the other ones (even if I think the other game might suck ;-)).  Game companies should be thanking you as well.  When your cast is done right..... you make everyone want to stop what they are doing and just start painting/building/playing/gaming!  Quite a few of you peeps have given me hours of entertainment on the trains commuting to work, while painting, while cooking, etc.  And I wanted to say, thanks!

Pretty much.  I thought I was the only one out there to think this. 

Pod casts have pretty much reduced my interest in the lines that use them exclusively for getting out information.  I am an adult with an actual job.  I really don't have so much free time in my week to spend 2-3 hours here and 2-3 hours there listening to podcasts that may, maybe, might, possibly have 10-15 minutes of actual information. 

I submit that the people making the pod-casts should look back at some of the original podcasts that included a now mythical index, either written or taking up the initial 1-2 minutes of the podcast where the contents are specifically identified by time mark so you can jump to the part you are actually interested in.   And when you get there they are actually talking information not just "navel gazing".

Just like blogs, there are really two kinds of podcasts.  First is a podium for someone to ramble, rant and rage against the world in an marginally coherent manner.  The other is a actual attempt to disseminate information to a target audience in a usable manner.  This kind will actually have, if not a script, than at least an outline that is used to keep the discussion on target and relevant to the topic. 

The addition of a time-mark index would allow both kinds of listeners to actually get value from the podcast and allow the intent of information dissemination to actually occur.

Here is a suggestion.  After the pod-cast have the editor insert key summaries with specific time marks and add them to an index at the front. 

For example:  “Bob” begins talking about the new release schedule at time mark 00:35:45.  For the next 35 minutes we discover that not only was his cat an inspiration but there was the incident with the coffee creamer and by accident we get the name and factions of the next 2 releases and a vague date.  So at 01:10:30 the editor inserts a concise statement such as: In Second Quarter 2014 the Guild Crew XXXXX and the Arcanist XXXXX Box will be released.

Either at the beginning of the pod cast or as a text listing at the link there will be a list of time stamps

XX:XX:XX  Yadda Yadda

00:35:45  Bob talks about 2nd Quarter Releases

01:10:30  Summary of 2nd Quarter Releases

This way people can either get the relevant information they need or they can set aside hours to listen to the entire podcast. 

Right now I am one of the only people in my gaming area even remotely interested in Malifaux because of the lack of available  information.  Primarily you have the distributers and the occasional review.  But most of the Wyrd info is via the forum or a 2+ hour podcast, both of which require the expenditure of HOURS of searching/listening.  And for people that have 1 or 2 game nights a week of 4-5 hours each, listening to pod-casts loses out to playing a game every time.

Just an opinion, but there it is.

• Like 2

Adding Guessing Zero to my list! I actually passed on it the first time through because I don't have time to listen to a whole new podcast network, but looks like I was wrong.

Ugh, it burns me up that it is the "official" Infinity podcast, too. I couldn't get through the first episode with the bag guy perving on the female models that were being released at the time. I don't care how good the information is, I'm not going to listen to anything hosted by people I'd be embarrassed or offended to be around.

Let me tell you, when the Warmachine community decided the Afflictor's official nickname was "the rape snake", I lost a lot of podcasts...

• Like 1