malifaux is too sexual?

flindo

am I the only one who finds this kind of funny, this game is no more sexual than any other miniature games that I can think of, I think the guys at miniwargaming are letting their religious views cloud their better judgement as to what is a very good and fun miniature game.

Edited by mythicFOX
mod notice

Too sexual for what? For their tastes? That's for them to decide. Good for them.

For me? I find it somewhat hypocritical that sex is anywhere around us in marketing and entertainment but shouldn't be in game that without problems can portray extreme violence and desecration of the dead (which many other miniature games do with abandon, as well). Okay, so it's not a game for kids, but I like the humorous and mature (well, mostly) take of Malifaux.

Sex is not an absolute value you can objectively measure and then define a cut-off value. I won't discuss the question if Malifaux includes more sex than other miniature games. Because, if so, why should it bother anyone. To each his (or her) own, I say.

• Like 1

am I the only one who finds this kind of funny, this game is no more sexual than any other miniature games that I can think of, I think the guys at miniwargaming are letting their religious views cloud their better judgement as to what is a very good and fun miniature game.

Well, GW games have hardly any females so there's that. I mean, what few they have are often cringe-worthy, but you can easily go through three rounds in a tournament without seeing a single female mini.

Also for games which are less sexual - well, there's about a thousand historical games which are far less sexual. Or Mech games. Or Ship games. Or space ship games.

Not saying that eliminating females is a good thing, mind, just that there's lots of games that do so and are therefore kinda objectively less sexual.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on what you decide to take issue with.  Generally I think people often overlook just how poorly most games treat male characters, but that's a separate topic entirely.  There are certainly models I can see someone taking offense to in Malifaux, but there are also some absolutely terrific female characters.  Sonnia is definitely the kind of female character design gaming needs more of.

• Like 1

So ridiculous. There's a thousand tasteless naked female models out there....with S&M and bondage and all that. Malifaux has more powerful female characters than any other game I can think of. What's sexual about Sonnia, or Raspy? There are more that are fully clothed than not. The fluff never talks about sex or any thing like that.......other than the fact that there are hookers..........which you can find anywhere......but they don't talk about them plying their trade.

Please.....get a grip.

• Like 5

I guess you never heard how Space Marines procreate?  *Insert tasteless 'Gene Seed' pun here*

*insert 'tasteless gene seed' joke here*

But in all seriousness, so many games, even games far-off from wargaming, are high on the fan-service-o-meter. Look at Magic! It's chock-fulla mature motifs in the art, and yet it claims to cater to 13+. I know it's not a minis wargame, but it's essentially looked over in its genre (at least on those terms). :P

I, for one, applaud Wyrd Games for tackling such "mature" themes, as they bring a bit of levity to the wargaming community which has otherwise been tainted by the stink of ZOMG GRIMDARK for the past few years before it. Brewmaster was one of the crews that gave me the biggest laughs in a long time. Seamus and Belle jokes never get old. Tell me that laughter isn't at home in gaming. Go on, try.

~Lil Kalki

EDIT: Also... Wet Nurse.

Where did this come from? Is there a link? I do find a link to a video on "Why we don't carry Malifaux" on MiniWarGaming's site. That video talks about Malifaux but he says they would like to. Since their site doesn't carry other companies miniatures anymore either, I'm confused.

Please post a link, so we can see what they actually said.

I am guessing this is the link you mean? http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/why-dont-carry-malifaux

Malifaux does have more prostitutes than most games do.

Also showgirls, which are more sassy and sexy than overtly sexual but opinions may vary on that.

I agree with previous posters on this thread - I think folks are conflating "existence of female characters" with "sexual content" - but I can understand why someone who was offended by zombie hookers would be offended by Malifaux.

I am guessing this is the link you mean? http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/why-dont-carry-malifaux

That is the link, however I listened to the part about Malifaux and it was an explanation about supply chain issues. They don't want a large number of "out of stock" items on their site. At that point (and it would seem to still be the case), the suppliers were not keeping large quantities of Malifaux on stock (ordered something from my FLGS and it's been a month and still nothing, the store ordered it from the supplier who has ordered it and it is just not here yet). So miniwargaming was going to either have to buy many thousands of dollars in Malifaux items to have some sit on the shelf, just so they could avoid the "out of stock" problem. 

None of that has anything to do with religious beliefs or how the models look. In fact, right off the bat they say that they would like to carry Malifaux because they think it would sell, but then they go into the supply chain discussion. They no longer carry any miniatures (well other than one that they were very involved with), so supply chain issues plus shipping from Canada sound like they took a toll.

• Like 1

I wasn't too pleased that my Vicky of Blood was wearing what seemed like chaps and with her underwear showing. I don't think it's something that even feels right for someone who goes fighting. So I painted her wearing a full pair of jeans. Sure, it might not be accurate to the way the model is sculpted but I don't care. I don't want my models, especially someone so important as a Vicky to come across as someone who would go into battle with her underwear showing. I also would prefer the models to have less obvious cleavage, it comes across as a bit too much of a teenage fantasy. I get over it though, the game is good enough to ignore that part of it and I doubt I'd find much better in other games. Also I think Wyrd do well in showing powerful female characters to balance this out.

Ahahaha!
Simulating grimmest brutal murders of other human beings and drawing pleasure from them is always ok. Showing the wrong 3mm of skin on a fictional 32mm sculpted piece of plastic is worse than for real.

Very funny :)

Thank God some people is far, far away from our invaluable Roman and Greek life-sized naked sculptures. They could be judged miseducating...

While some of the clothing may seem a little impractical for the battlefield Malifaux has more strong, leading, and influential female characters than any other game that I know of. It would also make sense that since the characters represent people from all walks of life, female characters should make up close to 50% of the models. Sure undead female zombie hookers could be considered sexual, but would have been the type of targets for Jack the Ripper.

I want to see a link OP.  Keep the entertaining moron comments up people, love how "religious" and "close minded" comes up when someone doesn't think the way you do.  If this is the reason why they don't carry Malifaux its their call, it's the free market and either it will appeal to families more that come in their store or will cause them to lose out on additional profit.  If a link isn't provided though this is outright slander and not cool at all.

This seems more an issue with your opponent than the game itself...

Well, the game has models with their tits hanging out and wearing their underwear into battle. I think it says something about the game, its designers and the people who approved and sculpted the models. Equally I think it says something about what they have to do to get attract a certain proportion of their players. It also says something about players who pick models because of "lol boobs." I think it says something about the nature of war gaming and gaming in general and its attitude towards women. This isn't happening in isolation though. Sci-fi and fantasy have had issues with the way they portrayed women on their covers for decades. This conversation is happening a lot in the comic book industry, Hollywood has huge issues with it, and in fact it's an entirely societal problem.

Contrary to that I think Malifaux and Wyrd in general are one of the leaders in gaming in showing women and minorities. They're not perfect but they're a lot better than others by simply including them (even if some of their lines are a bit less appealing.)

As I said, I bought the Vickys off a friend of mine so I hadn't seen the models before and was disappointed to see slightly unrealistic cleavage and one of them wearing her underwear into battle. In response I just didn't paint Blood Vicky in that way. But I'd still have questions for a company that uses sexualised models to attract their gamers. And I'd have even more questions when they only use female characters in that way. There are no male models with pronounced obliques coming out of their barely their underwear.

Saying all that I don't even have a problem with the hooker idea, or the show girls (although I haven't seen their models.) It makes sense with the internal history and as I said there are alternative, well represented women.  My immediate problem is with what are meant to be powerful women being shown off in their underwear without a need for it. It doesn't even make sense narratively and it highlights a fairly puerile approach to who women are.

Thankfully I haven't come across too many examples of this type of attitude in the players I've met and so far nothing that's necessitated more than eye rolling. However if I was to come across frat bro levels of misogyny I'd certainly not associate with those players.

• Like 1

Well it seems like there are some feelings are getting strong about this. 

So.....

Here it is, some people do not want to play this game because they like dice,  

Some people do not play this game because it isn't made by GW,

Some people don't like steampunk,

What matters is that those of us here do, like Malifaux,

We love it, paint it and play it.

I know the great people at Wyrd love to make cool stuff that is scary, gross, sexy and well wyrd.

It doesn't matter if others don't like it for there own reasons, it's about getting more of us who like it for our own reasons.

We should be doing our own battle report videos, and hyping up the game we love.  

We should get a camera, and some cool tables, and post our videos on Youtube.

Make our own Malifaux community.

Like Wyrd Place on Facebook.

Let people have there own opinion, so they can let you have yours.

• Like 2