McCabe first M2E Crew, assistance

Red_Starrise

Ok, I loved the look of McCabe so I picked up his set, I also have 3 riflemen, a guardsman, a pathfinder, plus a warden & austringer. I'm looking at getting a box of 10T archers & maybe converting one to be a Katanaka sniper. Is there anything I'm "missing" that I really "need"? I understand McCabe is kinda a niche master so I'm asking for help putting together a versatile starting line-up for him.

You aren't really missing anything per se, but there are a lot of other interesting options. If you decide to expand and get Misaki's box or Torakage get a separate box, they are a good buy with McCabe thanks to their amazing stats and native + on attack and damage if at a good distance, with the glowing blade and reactivate they can cause huge mayhem or cover a good chunk of the board doing schemes. The Wave Serpent is another very nice choice thanks again to reactivate shenanigans or nimble to let it move, focus and shot it's blast breath.

On the enforcer/henchmen side of things, well, Ototo can also put some slow on the table if you are really inclined to do it and nimble helps him a lot to get where you need him to be, Toshiro is a good all rounder that makes all your minions better and can give you some summoning power And Mr Graves gives you more mobility while still having a fine beatstick around.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

as the Misaki Box isnt available atm, i thought about getting McCabe as startingbox. I really like the looks of all Models. But some more girls are needed to expand the crew :P

If i play him as 10 Thunders, are Oiran a viable choice? Izamu is a must have for me, thats one model is decided to actually chose a 10T master to start with.

So Relic Hunters Box, Oiran and Izamu would be my favorite crew (fluff wise). do you think they synergize well?

Oh and for the Relic Hunters Box itself, are the cards within? It seems to be actually a 1st Edition box, so im not quite sure about it (especially as McCabe is within the pdf). If those cards arent included, is he in the 10T arsenal Box? or do i have to print the pdf by myself?

thx for your answers

Regarding the cards -

At the moment there are no physical McCabe cards. You have to print the pdf yourself.

There should be second wave arsenal box sets out soon(ish) (I'd guess by August), but I couldn't say if he'll be in the Ten thunder one or the guild one.

Izamu with McCabe is pretty scary. Oiran can work fairly well with him, but some people don't like oiran.

Enjoy.

Thanks, so i gonna print the cards myself. Guess same goes for Izamu and all others that are in the pdf file.

Well i like the Oiran models, and as there arent much girls McCabe can hire, they are a must have for my crew if i choose him.

Ronins as mercenaries arent cost efficent i guess and what other female models are there for McCabe as 10T or guild?

I've been running McCabe as 10T since end of beta now and have gotten a good idea of what to run (well i've won some games :P). So heres a list of what i've got/going to get:

McCabe-obvious

Luna-is brilliant, always take if i'm taking guild hounds

Kamaitachi-Amazing totem, plays so well with mccabes upgrade stuff

Sidir-is ok, doesn't excel, but can be relied upon

3 Wastrels-I've heard people say different, but to me a waste of points. Only reason to take 1, is (2) allowing a heal.

2 Guild Hound-solid minion, even better with luna, fast objective grabber

3 Torakage-solid, survivable minion. will generally take 2 in every list, unless speed wanted (in which hounds)

Tannen-Brings some interaction stuff thats going to b useful independent of master

Ototo-Melee beatstick who's weakness is being slow, McCabe will make him a lot faster

Graves-Strong melee beatstick 

Lone Swordsman-melee beatstick

Strongarm-melee beatstick, with ar+2 already, McCabe giving him more/regen is awesome!

My playstyle of McCabe focuses around him having "promises" upgrade. A list will naturally include 2 beatsticks, who stay within that 6" bubble being given upgrades to activate promises, being speed up. Its a pretty awesome ball of destruction. Minions will then b left to do anything else needed to score vp. 

As guild i would just find equivalent models for the different areas within my crew. So find a selection of melee beatsticks and some decent minions.

At some point i plan to do a much larger write up on my blog. If i remember i'll let you know once it's up (sorry will probably forget though)

Hope this helps. 

Wastrels give you some fantastic hand-filtering with Bravado, and use the Glowing Sabre as well as anyone else. Their hand-filtering abilities and Cast-offs are the main reason I bring them along, although it sounds as though you prefer to toss the upgrades around to the more elite models. I just love the different playstyles and combinations that are possible with McCabe!

Above is all very good advice but I can't believe nobody has recommended Toshiro and Punk Zombies!

Toshiro can let you bring upto 4 PZ's into the crew, he can then give them focus or fast. McCabe one of them re-activate, PZ's then wonder off and face roll somebody hardcore! Add into that mix any of McCabes offensive upgrades such as the Sabre and you have 1 VERY scary Punk Zombie. Toshiro is like Dashell, be buffs the hell out of minions. Toshiro can even make Wastrels pretty badass with all the focus he can hand out. He works insanely well with almost any and every master that can take him. I used Toshiro with Misaki last night and wasn't disappointed!

Thank you very much!

Sounds like McCabe is a perfect starting box to expand into the 10T faction.

I gonna try his crew box as it is and decide what i miss.

i stil love the Oiran models, although im not quite sure wheter they benefit from any of McCabes or the Wastrels skills. But i need some more girls :P

Izamu will be one of the first addiotions i make, cause i love the Model and him with reactivation of McCabe sounds really really nasty, combined with the Wastrels cast off he should stay alive long enough to destroy the enemy

Ama No Zako is also a great addition for McCabe. She can take advantage of Paralyzed and heals effectively with Nimble and Regen she is lightning fast and crazy tough. She is also a girl I think... a girl demon/oni/thing? Good stats, very fast, good abilities, good damage, and versatile actions. *thumbs up*

Izamu will be one of the first addiotions i make, cause i love the Model and him with reactivation of McCabe sounds really really nasty, combined with the Wastrels cast off he should stay alive long enough to destroy the enemy

You can only reactivate minions, but just giving him the badge for the push and nimble is huge for him.

Razhem has it right. Here's the action in question

(1) Black Flash (Ca 4 / TN: 10R / Rg: 6): Target
Minion gains the Reactivate Condition. This Action
may only be taken once per Turn.

This is why Toshiro works so well with McCabe, they both have great interactions with Minions. Similar to Lucius really.

I've just realized with his Sabre he can allow Archers to make use of their 8" charge range! Wow that's gonna throw my opponents next time I take McCabe! 

"Your... charging your Archer?! HAHAHA" Says my opponent. Swiftly followed by a bloody mess  ;)

Chris_Havoc, have you tried it on the table yet? It's pretty tricky to get models paralysed without burning through cards/stones, and you're generally taking Sidir to do it, meaning that you've already spending 19 SS on two elite models (plus upgrades).

It's a cool idea though, just wondering how it rolls in practise.

Well McCabe can get paralyze a few ways.  He can do it himself with his Netgun though it will likely take two shots.  You can also taken Warden that can give out Paralyze at range as long as the model has already activated this turn *and give Reactivation to said Warden too for more tries*.  In addition if you take something that has Terrifying Ama No Zaku can use its (0) action to make them attack said models and then cheat down the Horror Duel to get Paralyze *cannot make them attack Ama for this as they count as Friendly so no Horror Test*.

That said I would likely say the whole Devour thing is a minor selling point.  Her speed and potiental survivability with McCabe I imagine would be her prime points.

I have to say that I'm not mad about Wastrels with McCabe.  They have the slight added synergy on Bravado compared to using them with other masters, but that is about it.  They aren't amazing but for 4SS and not-insignificant minion Wastrels can fill a role.

Thunder Archers go crazy with McCabe though - I played a tournament yesterday and got to live the dream of casting Black Flash to reactivate, pass the Badge to push him forward then nimble forward again, Rapid Fire twice (nearly killing Izamu on turn one) and then nimble back behind a wall to make retaliation harder.  Showing my working: link.  As pointed out by Masterdisaster Archers can also use the Glowing Sabre to hilarious effect though I was not able to actually pull it off this time.

Interestingly this is a totally different approach to Lemonconstruct's builds focusing around Promises.  If Reckoning had come up at the event (without Make Them Suffer in the pool) I would totally have used a Ten Thunders Brute Squad with Mr Graves, Kang, et al, upgades all round and Promises on McCabe.